PDA

View Full Version : satin finish door hinge- exterior applications???

Peter Scoma
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
So i'm building and hanging 2, 4x8 carriage doors on my shop and am looking around for some hinges. I was planning to order online but took a look at the BORG and saw exactly what I needed (i think). I'm using a 4.5 x 4.5 ball bearing hinge with a non-removable pin. The finish on the hinge is "Satin Chrome Finish." What I'm unsure of and of course no one at the BORG knew is whether or not these hinges were designed for exposure to the elements. The package does not specify indoor or outdoor and I can't find anything online.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Kind of random I know.
Thanks in advance
Peter

Andrew Joiner
03-25-2009, 2:53 AM
If it's not stainless steel you might get a little rust. Mine are shiny chrome and have tiny rust marks after 5 years. They sort of protected by an overhang. Mine aren't ball bearing.The ball bearing are usually better quality.

Russ Boyd
03-25-2009, 5:33 PM
My guess is because of the non removable pin, they are considered exterior and should at least resist the weather. You might try using shellac over the hinge (obviously not in the actual joints). I've read that shellac is used on outside tools to resist rust. Russ