PDA

View Full Version : Best type of Timber

Ian Wilson (AUST)
03-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Creekers,

What should I be looking for in timber to engrave University Degree's on? Our timber in Aust may be different to yours so I need info like hard vs soft.

Some one suggested use a 2 pack silicon base clear paint prior to engraving.
Spray a fine layer of Mr Shine over plaque.........engrave.......wipe of.......job done????

Any suggestions???

Cheers Willo

George M. Perzel
03-25-2009, 2:40 AM
Hi Ian;
Do a search on this forum for "wood" and you'll get a lot of threads related to the best types of wood for engraving-alder, cherry, maple, mahogany for standard engraving and walnut for filled engraving. I'm not sure what types of wood you have available-you need to get a few different types and experiment.
Good Luck
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Null
03-25-2009, 5:24 AM
Ian

1. I will not engrave wood which has not been finished.(for plaques) It's too much of a mess to deal with.

2. I would not use soft wood with the exception of basswood which is technically a hard wood. The woods I prefer are cherry, mahogany and alder in that order. These are woods neither light nor dark in color.

3. The irregular grain patterns in coniferous woods make them less attractive for engraving.

Rodne Gold
03-25-2009, 5:47 AM
I have found that "dry" soft , light (not dense) and light coloured and fine grained timbers are the best to laser. Unfortunately , you cant get wood to order - so we have a "trick". I use a cheap base wood , like mdf or pine etc and have it veneered both sides or single sided and laser the veneers - works a treat and you dont have to deal with resin content or moisture content or warpages or joins or anything like that.
Plaque edges are a little problematic , but we usually stain or laquer paint and varnish em in black or woodgrain etc. Looks and feels and to all extents and purposes IS real wood. You can offer all manner of exotic finishes for cheap.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
03-25-2009, 7:25 AM
Thanks for your help once again...........what the best type of finish eg Varnish Laquer or 2 pack?

Thanks again,

Ian

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2009, 8:55 PM
Most woods, I put a few coats of lacquer, but on cherry, I only use a good quality wood floor non yellowing paste wax (I do it two to three times). It does not darken the cherry like many finishes will, and cleans up as good as lacquer.. Degrees engrave very nicely into Alder.. The only thing I don't like, is the inability sometime to get plaques that are not made from glued up pieces as this one was.. I guess the bigger trees are becoming more scarce every year