PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 14" or 17" Bandsaw

Andrew Joiner
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I may wind up with 2 bandsaws. A big and a small. I hate changing blades!

I wanted to start with a Grizzly G0555X 14". I like the idea of a cast iron frame and wheels. I was set to order one. With a riser and shipped it's only $70 less than the G0513 17". So this has me wanting your feed back.

I don't like the fence,aluminum wheels,and guides on the 17". Does it have a fairly flexy frame at 266 LBS? I've seen cast iron 14" VS steel 17" and 18"saws in stores. The steel framed saws flex a lot when you push on the guide bar compared to the 14" iron framed.

The 2HP, bigger table and 16 1/2" left of blade on the 17" are pluses.

I kinda see the GO513 as almost a medium size saw. The Grizzly saws in the 17" and 19" range seem to "medium size" since I may get 2 saws . The 21" or 24" would be OK for the big size.

What I want to do is mostly curves . If this saw will resaw a full 12" in hardwood and give a smooth cut I not need a bigger saw.

My friend wants to give me lots of 3' long by 1' to 2' diameter logs. I have visions of slicing them up, but no easy way to transport, store or lift them.

The main thing is if I need a bigger saw I'll get a 24" and keep the smaller one for curves.

It comes down to this. If I was to test a 12" resaw cut on the 14" and the 17" with the same blade would it be just as smooth and straight? If I had to feed a bit slower with 1 1/2 HP on the 14" that would be fine. Would the cast iron wheels on 14" help beat the 17" in a test like this?

Thanks for the help.

Cary Falk
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
This may or amy not answer you question. I went from a 14" cast iron (Al wheels)Delta with a 1hp motor to a G0513x2. The tools are in 2 different leagues. There are people that are happy with both saws you asked about. You might be able to get the 513x2 on ebay with 12%MS Live cashback and get it for the price you are looking at the 513. There are a lot of fans here of the 513x2.

Andrew Joiner
03-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Cary,
So from your experience even given the aluminum wheels on the 513 you'd still favor it over the 14"? Did you keep your 14" for curves?

Last I checked the 513x2 wasn't on live cashback but the 513 was.

Lance Norris
03-25-2009, 7:50 AM
Andrew, Having 2 bandsaws is a wonderful thing. I have a Grizzly G0457 setup for resaw and rip cuts and a Ridgid 14" for curves. It really is nice having 2 saws, and not having to change blades back and forth. I use the bandsaws more than any other tools in my shop. I dont think the argument between cast wheels and aluminum wheels is as important as is horsepower. If you have a saw with 2 hp and aluminum wheels, it will out resaw a BS that has cast wheels and 1 hp. Also, you get less flex from the steel framed saws than you do from the cast iron framed saws. Thats why the bigger saws that are setup as dedicated resaw bandsaws are always steel frame saws. The Grizzly "medium size' saws you are thinking about are excellent tools and you can spend a lot more money and not get any better of a bandsaw.

Pat Germain
03-25-2009, 8:50 AM
My take is to go with the G0513X2. Then, find a used 14" band saw. Those things are typically for sale all over the place. My local Craigslist has very few large woodworking tools. But there are always Delta 14" band saws for sale. I've seen a few Powermatic examples as well. Dollars to doughnuts, you can pick one up cheap in this current economy.

I think it's worth a little extra dough for the X2 Grizzly. You even get the "Bear Head" wheels! ;)

glenn bradley
03-25-2009, 8:59 AM
I sold my smaller BS when I got my G0513X. Since then I have picked up a smaller 10" for quick cuts. Having both is a real help.

Matt Benton
03-25-2009, 9:27 AM
I have a MM20 and Jet 14", and will probably sell the Jet and replace it with a Bosch jigsaw. Relatively similar functionality, with a much better footprint! :D

Andrew Joiner
03-25-2009, 9:54 AM
Thanks for the replies.

One more plus for the 17" saw. A 26" longer blade has more teeth to do the cutting so blades should last longer.

I'd love to use craigslist but I live 1.5 hours from the "big city" so most saws close to what I want are sold fast.

Cary Falk
03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks Cary,
So from your experience even given the aluminum wheels on the 513 you'd still favor it over the 14"? Did you keep your 14" for curves?

Last I checked the 513x2 wasn't on live cashback but the 513 was.

I did not keep my 14". I had to use the proceeds to finance the 17". I also don't have the space. I never need anything smaller than a 1/4 blade.

Burt Alcantara
03-25-2009, 6:59 PM
I went from the 0555 to the 514X2. I'm still on the fence whether to sell the 14" or not. I have an 1/8" blade on the 14" which is a really great blade size. Problem for me is space.

As far as 14" or 17", I'd go 17" because you get more stability and repeatability. The rack and pinion guide is worth the money alone. Bigger table is also a big plus, which was one of the reasons I went for the 19". Can eat lunch off that table!

Extra HP is not a bad thing either. Both are good saws.

Burt

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 2:27 PM
I didnt want to start a new thread seeing that there is no dearth of Bandsaw discussion. I am in a similar conundrum. I have decided to get a bandsaw over upgrading to a cabinet saw to begin with.
I am wondering if there are any advantages of going with a smaller saw like 0457 to beign with over a larger one like the 513x2/513x2B?
- Space is not a problem as I have the whole basement to myself and I am currently using only 1/5th of the floor space.
- The cost is almost the same, so not an issue.
- Both have the same motor size and cast iron wheels.
- I dont really care about the extra 2" of resaw capacity since I am limited by my other machines - a 6" jointer!
- I dont own a bandsaw, so both will be an upgrade for me!
- Have been watching the CL, nothing useful has popped uf for the last 3 months!
Here are the two contenders for me:

513x2
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 3:11 PM
I didnt want to start a new thread seeing that there is no dearth of Bandsaw discussion. I am in a similar conundrum. I have decided to get a bandsaw over upgrading to a cabinet saw to begin with.
I am wondering if there are any advantages of going with a smaller saw like 0457 to beign with over a larger one like the 513x2/513x2B?
- Space is not a problem as I have the whole basement to myself and I am currently using only 1/5th of the floor space.
- The cost is almost the same, so not an issue.
- Both have the same motor size and cast iron wheels.
- I dont really care about the extra 2" of resaw capacity since I am limited by my other machines - a 6" jointer!
- I dont own a bandsaw, so both will be an upgrade for me!
- Have been watching the CL, nothing useful has popped uf for the last 3 months!
Here are the two contenders for me:

513x2
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457

I would pick the 513x2 over the 0457 any day for a single general purpose BS. IMO the 513 series is the best value in that size saw, the 0457 is not the best value in a steel spined 14" saw.

There are advantages to some small vs large BS comparisons but it becomes more of an issue when you are comparing a 14" saw to a 20+ inch saw. These saws will do basically the same things eqaully well but I would get more capacity.

Now, to throw another spanner in the works. I might suggest you buy one of the 14" Delta cast iron clones as a first saw. This will do most everything you seem to expect, has a HUGE user base to help with tuning issues etc and will be a perfect second saw WHEN (not if) you decide you want a serious big BS down the line. Grizzly has several as well as just about everyone else anywhere in the $400-$1000 price range outfitted from plain to loaded. Carter, Iturra and others make a huge range of "upgrade" for these saws.

Mark Ashmeade
09-13-2010, 3:24 PM
My 2 cents:

I used to have a RIDGID 14" cast iron saw, that I put quite a bit of time & effort into, adding a stable base, better blade, link belt etc. However, ultimately, it wasn't the machine I wanted. It was limited by the tensioner design (a rod with a small handwheel on the end), no fence, only 6" resaw, and only a 3/4 horse motor. I bought accessories to improve the tensioner, cool blocks, and had considered a riser block & fence.

Then the moment of realization hit. I was putting too much time effort and money into a machine that I would outgrow. I could never get the tension right either.

So I sold it on Craigslist, and ordered a G0513P, and I could not be happier. It's a great saw. No, it doesn't have the cast wheels and trunnions of the X2, nor the tall fence. However, it DOES run beautifully smoothly and cuts like a dream. It's in a different league to my old bandsaw. Like comparing a push mower with a Deere ride-on. And the kicker? After selling the old saw, returning the unfitted accessories, and counting the cost of a riser block & fence, it winds up the same price or cheaper. I am very happy I made the right choice. Less than $700? A shame it wasn't available when I bought the RIDGID.

Dan Karachio
09-13-2010, 3:35 PM
One option might be to pick up a 14" used on CL or something and buy whatever heavy duty resaw machine new. There seem to be many used 14" saws around from old Deltas to newer Rigids... I often wanted to get one used, but was always concerned about the low power. However, if it were just dedicated to curve work, then it would be a nice low cost alternative.

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 3:37 PM
I would pick the 513x2 over the 0457 any day for a single general purpose BS. IMO the 513 series is the best value in that size saw, the 0457 is not the best value in a steel spined 14" saw.

Now, to throw another spanner in the works. I might suggest you buy one of the 14" Delta cast iron clones as a first saw. This will do most everything you seem to expect, has a HUGE user base to help with tuning issues etc and will be a perfect second saw WHEN (not if) you decide you want a serious big BS down the line. Grizzly has several as well as just about everyone else anywhere in the $400-$1000 price range outfitted from plain to loaded. Carter, Iturra and others make a huge range of "upgrade" for these saws.

I agree, from my reading the 513 is a fantastic value!
Which particular 14" Delta clones are you alluding to? Or was this a general reference to the genre?
I am actually drawn to that solution for 2 reasons - the ease of carrying that smaller saw to my basement and ease of justifying to the LOML... keeping it when I get a bigger bandsaw in the future!

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 3:39 PM
One option might be to pick up a 14" used on CL or something and buy whatever heavy duty resaw machine new. There seem to be many used 14" saws around from old Deltas to newer Rigids... I often wanted to get one used, but was always concerned about the low power. However, if it were just dedicated to curve work, then it would be a nice low cost alternative.

Believe me, I have been waiting for this to happen on the CL in my area, but nothing decent has popped up! I see tons of 10" BSs and pretty depressing 12-14" Craftsman saws, but nothing that peaked my interest.

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 3:54 PM
My 2 cents:

I used to have a RIDGID 14" cast iron saw, that I put quite a bit of time & effort into, adding a stable base, better blade, link belt etc. However, ultimately, it wasn't the machine I wanted. It was limited by the tensioner design (a rod with a small handwheel on the end), no fence, only 6" resaw, and only a 3/4 horse motor. I bought accessories to improve the tensioner, cool blocks, and had considered a riser block & fence.

Then the moment of realization hit. I was putting too much time effort and money into a machine that I would outgrow. I could never get the tension right either.

So I sold it on Craigslist, and ordered a G0513P, and I could not be happier. It's a great saw. No, it doesn't have the cast wheels and trunnions of the X2, nor the tall fence. However, it DOES run beautifully smoothly and cuts like a dream. It's in a different league to my old bandsaw. Like comparing a push mower with a Deere ride-on. And the kicker? After selling the old saw, returning the unfitted accessories, and counting the cost of a riser block & fence, it winds up the same price or cheaper. I am very happy I made the right choice. Less than $700? A shame it wasn't available when I bought the RIDGID.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
If I end up getting the 513 series - I might spring for the 513x2 or even the one with the brake for an extra $2-300.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 3:59 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience!
If I end up getting the 513 series - I might spring for the 513x2 or even the one with the brake for an extra $2-300.

Two things, don't mix the quality of the Rigid 14" saw in with the many excellent 14" cast clones.

Shame Grizzly doesn't offer foot brakes on their 513 series, I much prefer them to motor brakes for a couple of reasons. They appear on the 514 series.

Also, I see budget creep! Be careful if you don't stop you will be looking at 20" + saws from companies like Agazzani, Laguna, Felder and Minimax before you know it!!

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 4:15 PM
Also, I see budget creep! Be careful if you don't stop you will be looking at 20" + saws from companies like Agazzani, Laguna, Felder and Minimax before you know it!!

Hey Van,
Well diagnosed :)
Already been there done that! Got estimates from all 4 for B-18/20, LT 14 SUV, LT 16HD, N4400 and the MM16. Came to my senses... Thankfully!
Have reverted to starting slow and going easy on the first BS. Since I am 34 right now... with at least 20-30 years of woodworking ahead, I am guessing this wont be my last bandsaw!!

Thanks for the note of caution though!

Kaul.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 4:40 PM
Hey Van,
Well diagnosed :)
Already been there done that! Got estimates from all 4 for B-18/20, LT 14 SUV, LT 16HD, N4400 and the MM16. Came to my senses... Thankfully!
Have reverted to starting slow and going easy on the first BS. Since I am 34 right now... with at least 20-30 years of woodworking ahead, I am guessing this wont be my last bandsaw!!

Thanks for the note of caution though!

Kaul.

That is a little more telling about your mindset (and your lifetime of woodworking ahead). I know it may not be cool BUT you may want to seriously think about a good 14" cast clone saw, less money up front and they can really be great saws. Read George Wilson's posts about his 14" Delta and then LOOK at some of his work (go to the Neanderthal forum FAQ section and look at the bottom for several of his build threads). I am only pushing this idea since it appears you really do have a bigger saw in mind down the road. The 14" saws really do have some advantages for cutting curves over the larger flat tired Euro machines and it is great to end up with 2 saws.

Ashwini Kaul
09-13-2010, 5:46 PM
That is a little more telling about your mindset (and your lifetime of woodworking ahead). I know it may not be cool BUT you may want to seriously think about a good 14" cast clone saw, less money up front and they can really be great saws. Read George Wilson's posts about his 14" Delta and then LOOK at some of his work (go to the Neanderthal forum FAQ section and look at the bottom for several of his build threads). I am only pushing this idea since it appears you really do have a bigger saw in mind down the road. The 14" saws really do have some advantages for cutting curves over the larger flat tired Euro machines and it is great to end up with 2 saws.

Could you elaborate on what you consider a good 14" delta cast iron clone?
Sounds like a interesting option!

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 5:58 PM
Could you elaborate on what you consider a good 14" delta cast iron clone?
Sounds like a interesting option!

Well a good old Delta if you can find one, I never see them...

Grizzly, Jet, Delta and PM all have good to great models, prices from $400 to $1000. Grizzly has them on sale now, Jet and PM versions will probably go on sale in the next month. If it was for a second smaller saw NOW I would suggest a 1hp model, but since you will be doing everything with it to begin with I suggest a 1.5hp model, but if you avoid resawing 9" plus tropical woods the 1 hp models will be fine albeit a little slow on some things.

Dan Karachio
09-13-2010, 7:50 PM
I wouldn't count out the Rikon 14" either. If you want to be really sick, there was a guy here with a true gloat. A used Grizzly G0555X with the riser used for $200 used on CL. Man!

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 7:53 PM
I wouldn't count out the Rikon 14" either. If you want to be really sick, there was a guy here with a true gloat. A used Grizzly G0555X with the riser used for $200 used on CL. Man!

The Rikon is also a good saw and the 14" will likely go on sale in the next couple of months at Woodcraft, though if you buy off Amazon, get free shipping and don't pay tax the price can actaully be lower even if at full price.

Ashwini Kaul
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
The Rikon is also a good saw and the 14" will likely go on sale in the next couple of months at Woodcraft, though if you buy off Amazon, get free shipping and don't pay tax the price can actaully be lower even if at full price.

The Rikon seems like a great option!
Now for the patient wait for the sale to begin.
I am in NY state, so Amazon charges the Tax and with that total would come close to $900.
What do you guys think of the griz 055x?

Van Huskey
09-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I am in NY state, so Amazon charges the Tax and with that total would come close to $900.

The G0555x ticks all the right boxes for a cast clone, I would not have any issues with that saw.

Depending on where you are in NY when the Rikon goes on sale (usually 699) you could always drive down to Woodcraft in Wilmington and get it with no tax...
I think Delaware is a no sales tax state no?

Brett Clark
09-14-2010, 12:28 PM

I've got the Griz 0555x w/ riser block and like it more each time I use it. The only problems I've had with it were caused by pilot error(never forget to tension your new woodslicer before resawing an 8 ft long piece of 9 in. walnut:(). It comes with a decent fence, the built on light is nice feature, and the base is also a storage cabinet.