PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Air Tool

Michael Schwartz
03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I purchased a 1/8" mini die grinder recently, lacking any brand name, other than MSC #: 00233155 from the MSC Catalog. Turned out to be a mistake as the tool was not only a piece of junk and waste of 80$ but dangerous.

the tool in question
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1656732&PMT4NO=60764088

I don't intend to bash MSC with this thread, I have placed a number of successful orders with them and have been very pleased with their fast shipping. However I am very disappointed with this tool and I will sending it back.

I was using the tool normally today and the entire collet guard assembly at the front loosened, and flew off across my shop. I tried putting it back on, and making sure it was tightened properly and the same thing happened again, although it now flew somewhere I can't find it.

I also had the 1/8" carbide burr I was using come out of the 1/8" collet as well during use, and I know that it was tightened properly. I have worked with 1/8" pneumatic die grinders from Dotco and have never had this happen. I know as a fact I was using the right size collet and burr, and that they were clean, and properly tightened.

Other than that overall the tool is cheap and the body is threaded together at 2 other points and I have had those loosen up during use as well.

Thought at 80$ that this would be better than something you would expect from harbor freight and would at least be safe and not fall apart while using the thing. But I have no room in my shop for a tool like this.

A Dotco is over 400$ but at least i know with maintenance it will last for 30 years and not self destruct and fling parts in my face.

Eric Roberge
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Mike,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with that tool. I'm just glad that no one was hurt by the flying parts. You think they'll take it back and not give you any grief?