PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Question for all you experts

Ken Garlock
03-24-2009, 8:01 PM
Well, today I took delivery on my new toy, a Nova DVR XP lathe.:D

I got it unpacked and moved into the shop, but now I need to complete fleshing it out. I have ordered the 24" extension, and the cast iron stand. I was reading through the Manual, and came across the small print that said a chuck must have a "side locking function" so that the lathe can be reversed without the chuck spinning off.

Now the problem. I have two like new One-way chucks, the Talon and Stronghold. At first I thought I would just need a new spindle adapter for 1 1/4 x8. Since I have pondered the manual, I am concerned that the One-Way chucks will not work on the Nova, What Say You?

BTW, Hartville Tool has a good deal on the One-Way Stronghold chuck, $244.

Jim Kountz
03-24-2009, 8:02 PM
On my faceplates and Nova chucks there is a simple allen set screw to lock the chuck to the spindle. Do the Oneways not have this? If so thats what they are talking about........I guess!!

Wyatt Holm
03-24-2009, 8:13 PM
A spindle adapter would work. I use chucks in reverse for sanding, and I do not use set screws. If it is on the lathe tight like it should be, it should not come off.

Don Carter
03-24-2009, 8:36 PM
I agree with Wyatt. I reverse sand most items and I have never used the set screw with my chuck. No problems so far.

All the best.

Don

Mike Lipke
03-24-2009, 8:43 PM
All adaptors have an allen set screw that I have ever seen. That is what they are talking about.

If you turn a big enough blank, and your lathe has an electronic brake, you will eventually have an "event" where the chuck will partially or even totally unscrew. I have never had this happen while reverse sanding.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-24-2009, 8:49 PM
Ken if you want to play it safe, than do lock the chuck onto the spindle as is said in the Teknatool safety rules, I'll add that here if you didn't have those/see those, the inboard rules are the same as the outboard rules IMO.
All Oneway chucks have the set/grub screw treaded hole in their adapters, (6mm)

Jim Kountz
03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Sometimes when roughing a large heavy blank and I turn the lathe off as it slows down just the perpetual motion of the blank can make it come loose. Its never come off but it has turned a few threads loose. I dont use the set screws either but maybe I should!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Ken - I have the Oneway Talon and it comes with 2 set screws to secure the chuck to the spindle. I lock mine all the time now because I have had it spin loose when sanding and alternating the direction between forward and reverse. Anything with a little weight can cause it to loosen up and I can tell you from personal experience - it gets exciting in a hurry!

alex carey
03-25-2009, 3:18 AM
I don't use the set screws. When I first put my chuck on I lock the spindle, put the key in the chuck and tighten it. Not super tight but tight enough. I also reverse sand and I have never had it come off.

George Guadiane
03-25-2009, 9:12 AM
I have to agree with Steve on this one, I USED TO just snug up the chuck on the spindle and use forward and reverse without any problem...
Then I started doing bigger pieces and the torque from the mass changed EVERYTHING!
The first (and no, sadly, not the last) time I saw the work piece starting to loosen, I freaked out a bit... The second time...
Lets just say that no one was injured (MIRACLE) and I now use the set screws.
If safety isn't inspiration enough, if the chuck or faceplate comes off, it could bugger up your spindle and THAT could cost a lot of money and a big loss in turning time, waiting for parts.

Reed Gray
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Well, I have turned and sanded a lot of bowls. I use reverse a lot when sanding. I have never had a bowl come off when turning, or reversing the lathe, and it has loosened up a few times when sanding. I do use one of the plastic washers between the chuck and the headstock. This does help some. I have tripped the lathe by accidentally hitting the reverse switch. If a big piece is going too fast for the electronic brake, it trips the motor or converter, and it spins to a stop. If not, then the brake slows it down, stops it, then it goes into reverse. Do get the chuck on tight, but not as tight as you possibly can. Set screws work as well.
robo hippy

Burt Alcantara
03-25-2009, 6:47 PM
In the 2 years I had the 1624, I never tightened the Talons. Just lighly hand tighten. I've always reversed turn for sanding. Never had one loosen or come off.

I think you're seeing Lawyer Speak.

Burt

Dave Halter
03-25-2009, 8:33 PM
Ken - I have the Oneway Talon and it comes with 2 set screws to secure the chuck to the spindle. I lock mine all the time now because I have had it spin loose when sanding and alternating the direction between forward and reverse. Anything with a little weight can cause it to loosen up and I can tell you from personal experience - it gets exciting in a hurry!

Steve,
I've got a Talon and last month got a Stronghold for my birthday (gloat) and neither one has set screws for securing it to the spindle. Did yours come with the chuck or the adaptor?

Thanks,
Dave

Ken Garlock
03-25-2009, 8:49 PM
This afternoon I went out to the shop and examined the Talon and Stronghold chucks. With the help of you good people: YES, there are two screw holes in the adapter! :cool: I don't remember getting any setscrews with the chucks. Tomorrow it is off the the hardware store. We have a good local hardware at which you can still buy a single bolt or nut. They will probably have what I need. If not, there is always Elliotts in Plano or Dallas. IF they don't have it, it probably isn't made.:eek:

Thanks for educating me on what to look for.:):)

Jim Sebring
03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
A good way to prevent the set/grub screws from marring the headstock spindle is to drop a .177 airgun pellet in the hole before adding the screw. A #4 BB shot will also work, at least on my Nova chucks it fits.

Alan Trout
03-26-2009, 7:18 AM
Ken, by the way congratulations on your new lathe. You will love it. On my Nova chucks insert the grub screw comes with a little fiber washer to protect the spindle. However I only do light sanding with mine so I have never used the grub screw.

Good Luck

Alan

Leo Van Der Loo
03-26-2009, 1:03 PM
There are industrial used set-screws that have brass ends on them for use on threaded shafts and for other non-marring applications.
MSC industrial supplies or McMaster probably carrie them.
The Oneway lathes always have had a groove machined in their headstock shaft for the set-screws to lock into, there are now some other wood lathes that also have this, the problem is that there isn't a common distance used by the lathe manufacturers, hopefully that will come to pass, though I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2009, 1:13 PM
Dave - check out the PDF that Oneway has for their chucks. Page 4 has a good photo of the Taperlock adapter and one of the 2 set-screws used to secure the chuck to the spindle.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/ow-talon.pdf

George Clark
03-26-2009, 2:06 PM
Grub screws with brass or nylon tips.

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn913.3/

Ron McKinley
03-26-2009, 6:08 PM
Great idea Jim. I used set screws on my Talon with the DVR XP and it screwed up the threads. Had to use a small file to fix them.....Ron

Wyatt Holm
03-27-2009, 4:55 PM
When I tighten my chuck on the lathe, I hold the chuck up to the spindle, turn the hand wheel until it is almost clear tight. Then I hold the hand wheel steady, give the chuck a quick spin which locks it in place.

Andrew Derhammer
03-27-2009, 4:58 PM
If the DVR is like the 1624 there is a section in the back that's unthreaded for the grubscrew to tighten down on.

Dave Halter
03-27-2009, 9:17 PM
Dave - check out the PDF that Oneway has for their chucks. Page 4 has a good photo of the Taperlock adapter and one of the 2 set-screws used to secure the chuck to the spindle.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/ow-talon.pdf

Steve,
I may have mis-understood. I thought you stated that your adaptor/chuck came with the set-screws. I've got 3 different adaptors for my Talon and none of them came with the set-screws. Since I'm getting into bowl turning I'll have to get some, as I feel it would be safer to reverse sand using them.

Thanks,
Dave

Jim Sebring
03-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks, George, for the Winco link. I looked for tipped set screws a couple of places but couldn't find a supplier. The little fiber discs supplied with the Nova chucks last about 39 nanoseconds, so I was looking for some other readily available soft item to put in the screw hole to keep from marring the spindle.

Ray Binnicker
03-28-2009, 3:14 PM
Speaking of chucks (and what you guys are talking about interests me a lot). I just received my Supernova 2 with 4 (free) sets of jaws from Craft Supply and noticed the difference in process of removing it from the lathe. Up until now I have only had Oneway chucks and used the jaw tightning/loosening wrench to remove it from the lathe. The Nova 2 wrench won't allow you to do that. A wrench used at the back of the chuck on the adapter is required. Or, am I missing something?
Thanks
Ray Binnicker

Ryan Baker
03-28-2009, 6:43 PM
There is a set screw in there to lock the SN2 onto the adapter, but relying on that for removing the chuck isn't really a good idea -- even with a Oneway. Using a wrench on the adapter is the way to do it. It's only ten bucks or something anyway.

I have used the nylon-tipped set screws for years (not on chucks) from McMaster. They work really well and are pretty cheap.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
No wrench to be used on Oneway chuck adapter, the Oneway adapter is round and smooth.
I use the chuck jaws tightening wrench to unscrew the chuck, it is a large and strong piece of steel, though the recommended way is to use a piece of wood in the top jaws to unscrew the chuck, I was learned that also for removing chucks from metal lathes.
Here's Oneway's official version.