PDA

View Full Version : DNA Soak

Ron Hardy
03-24-2009, 7:16 PM
I just turned my first bowl that I took from a tree branch to a blank . Right now it is just a rough bowl. I have been reading here about the DNA method to dry bowls and now I have a question. It is sitting in a bucket of DNA with enough to cover over the top. Since it wants to float do I need to weigh it down so it is completely under? I found articles on this method but I must have missed that part.
Thanks
Ron

Mike Lipke
03-24-2009, 7:27 PM
Maybe it wasn't wet!
Mine usually are just a little heavier than the DA.

Well, you are in it now, so for the alcohol to displace and replace the water, you better put a weight in the bowl.

Robert McGowen
03-24-2009, 7:27 PM
Short answer is "yes". Use a rock.

Mike Lipke
03-24-2009, 9:00 PM
This is an important issue.
A rock, or a stone?
I hate ambiguity.

The difference between ignorance and apathy:
"I don't know, and I don't care"

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I have some lead weights and just drop one in the bowl to keep it submerged.

Don Eddard
03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
This is an important issue.
A rock, or a stone?
I hate ambiguity.
A rock. A river rock, preferably from a north flowing river. But not too fast. About medium speed, with a few rapids here and there.

I use a chunk of broken sidewalk or cinder block. :D

Mike Lipke
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
There are a lot more rocks from under water available near Fargo, ND right this minute. It is really bad for those folks right now.

Jarrod McGehee
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I've been to Fargo. sorry i know that's random but I had to throw it out there.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Ron - just about every rough out that I soak wants to float, so I weight them down with one of my wife's glass candle holders. Weights down the blank great and cleans up the candle holder at the same time!

Jerry Rhoads
03-25-2009, 7:40 AM
Totally submerge it.
I use rocks, whatever size it takes and as many as it takes.
Wtih a big bowl and its 3 or 4 cores you some times have to get creative with the rocks placement to keep all under DNA. Some times they try to float out of each other. I supose that a metal grill (when not BBQing) would work. Lay over bowl(s) and place rock.

Jerry

Rob Cunningham
03-25-2009, 8:27 AM
I'm just getting into turning and would love to try turning a small bowl. How long do you soak the roughed out blank in DNA?

Toney Robertson
03-25-2009, 9:02 AM
I'm just getting into turning and would love to try turning a small bowl. How long do you soak the roughed out blank in DNA?

Rob,

24 hours for most wood. Then wrap it and set it aside for 6 weeks or so. Some people weigh them until they stop losing weight, others just go long enough to know that they are dry. Some people use anchorseal instead of paper.

This is a public service announcement.

Once you turn your first bowl life as you know it now ends. Your time away from the shop will be filled with visions of forms and techniques to get that perfect piece.

It is like having kids in the respect that you love them but your life changes forever.

I know if you have lurked here long you have already know but consider yourself warned.

Toney

George Guadiane
03-25-2009, 9:15 AM
A rock. A river rock, preferably from a north flowing river. But not too fast. About medium speed, with a few rapids here and there.

I use a chunk of broken sidewalk or cinder block. :D
Which is it???
OH?!?!?!? Did you mean one of each? Alternating or closest to you at the time?
:confused:

Gordon Thompson
03-25-2009, 9:47 AM
Rob,

24 hours for most wood. Then wrap it and set it aside for 6 weeks or so.

this doesn't sound like much of a time savings, over air drying a roughed out bowl in a paper bag of shavings....

Rob Cunningham
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Toney,
Thanks for the warning. I have 3 kids so I know what you mean.
I took a turning class about a month ago and have been trying to practice basic spindle turning techniques. I have always been fascinated with bowl turnings and figure it's about time I try. Next thing you know, I'll have to replace the old Duro lathe(1950's era). Seems like a slippery slope :)

Ron Hardy
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all your response. I was thinking that I needed it to be completely under but I was making sure.
Thanks again. Ron

Toney Robertson
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
this doesn't sound like much of a time savings, over air drying a roughed out bowl in a paper bag of shavings....

Gordon,

Lots of time the wait is no more than three weeks or so (depends on the wood and other factors) but I went on the high side so that he would not turn too soon and have warping issues.

Toney