PDA

View Full Version : Measure twice, ORDER once....

Josh Satterlee
03-24-2009, 6:43 PM
Total Newbie question:

I wanted to replace the crank handles on my C-man 113.29992 tablesaw. So I measured the shaft as 1/2" and ordered new cast steel ones on closeout from the Big Green Bear (Grizzly). Woo-hoo, I said.... Only $4.50!!! Yippee!

In preparation of my order arriving, I THEN took off the original handle, which revealed a step-down to a 3/8" shaft. Since they are closeout, the new cast ones can't be returned. So here is the question:

Can anyone think of some way to add 1/8" (of diameter)to my shaft (keep it clean here...)? I was thinking of maybe a steel roll pin, but I can't find a 1/2" diameter, 1/16th walled roll pin.

Thanks in advance.

david brum
03-24-2009, 7:03 PM
What about epoxying in a brass sleeve made from plumbing pipe?

Jason Beam
03-24-2009, 7:09 PM
How's it held on there? Set screw?

A bushing can surely be found at the hardware store ... or you could buddy up to a machinist to turn you some :)

Chris Szczygiel
03-24-2009, 7:12 PM
Go to mcmaster and search sleeve bearing. You can get bronze bearings for a 3/8" shaft 1/2" OD in various lengths. Should be about $1 each.

Frank Berryman
03-24-2009, 7:14 PM
A bushing can surely be found at the hardware store ... or you could buddy up to a machinist to turn you some :)
I suggest checking out the fastener section at Home Depot. The have all kinds of things in those little drawers. Surely they have a bushing that will fit.

Josh Satterlee
03-24-2009, 7:14 PM
Yes, it is held on with set screw. I'll check McMaster tonight. Thanks...Anyone else?