PDA

View Full Version : Critique needed.

Toney Robertson
03-24-2009, 5:31 PM
I was planning on getting this piece done today or tomorrow so that I could get it finished for my artist reception next Tuesday.

The top is Red Mallee Burl - 5 1/2" x 4" to the high point. The base is walnut and just under 6" high. No finish on it yet.

This is my first pedestal and I think it has problems. So I shot a couple of quick pictures so that you could tell me what I did wrong. I will not prejudice the jury with my thoughts. So what say you?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/IMG_3173.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/IMG_3170.jpg

Toney

alex carey
03-24-2009, 5:38 PM
Looking at the second picture the transition between the base and the top doesn't seem to be flowing enough. It looks to me like the top is too wide when it meets.

Also I think the middle of the base is a tad too big. It seems like it almost as big as the top of the base.

It looks great but these are what I would change.

Joe Hardesty
03-24-2009, 5:49 PM
To my eye, it looks very very good, but I can't help but wonder what it would look like if it was just a single long stem without the mid-base ornamentation.

Ron Erickson
03-24-2009, 6:00 PM
To me the stem is to straight, maybe a little bigger top and bottom. The v in the middle distracts from the flow of the top they do not seem to go together. Just some thoughts hope it helps. Ron

Steve Mawson
03-24-2009, 6:04 PM
I think I agree with Joe. Perhaps the stem ornamentation should be smaller. The stem seems to distract from the bowl. Still looks very nice. Wish I could do something that well.

Jason Clark2
03-24-2009, 6:25 PM
I'm certainly no expert but a couple of things look a bit off to me.

First, the bowl portion looks a bit too thick for my taste compared to it's diameter. A bowl sitting on a tall pedestal like that should be thinner than the the pedestal it's sitting on, think of how the petals of a flower are compared to the stem.

Second, It also appears to end in a flat foot that is larger than the top of the pedestal. The curve of the bowl should continue into the transition to the pedestal (not necessarily matching the curve of the transition, but there should not be a flat spot).

Third the decorative element in the middle of the stem is a bit larger diameter and thicker than I'd like, it appears to be 2/3 - 3/4 the diameter of the top transition and about 1/2 the diameter of the bottom. I'd like to see it 50-60% smaller than it is now both in thickness and width, I'd also like to see it moved either so that it's 1/3 from the top of the stem rather than right in the middle.

Lastly I'd like to see more contrast between the color of the bowl and the color of the pedestal. I suspect that the Walnut will darken substantially with the application of a finish, ebonizing it will give it an even darker color, enhancing the contrast even more.

I've attached a quick and dirty photoshop of your original, hope you don't mind.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2009, 6:39 PM
Toney - first off - real nice work! If you are looking for opinions..... well then, I would have the bowl portion a lot thinner than what it is by at least half. The pedestal I would want to have tapers so that there is no straight sections to it at all. I agree with Jason in that if you are going to have some decoration in the pedestal - it should be located 2/3 the distance between the foot and the bowl portion.

I also find myself agreeing with Jason in that the color of the pedestal could enhance the bowl portion if it were more of a contrast.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with --- if anything. This is a nice piece as is and I only offer suggestions to get you thinking for the next one!

John Fricke
03-24-2009, 6:46 PM
My first reaction was that the ornament on the stem draws my eye away from the bowl.

Toney Robertson
03-24-2009, 6:52 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

As to the thickness of the bowl. I understand what you mean but I also was torn by wanting to show off the natural edge. I love the outside of these burls with all their points and spikes. As I was turning I kept thinking go thinner but I stopped myself too soon.

I also thought about a smoother transition at the bottom but I thought it might look odd not having some break. By the responses I should have went with my first thought. Some times you over think.

If I were to put another decoration in the middle of the stem, do you put it 1/3 from the bottom or top?

I would have loved to use African Blackwood but MAN is that stuff salty. As far as ebonizing, I ,as a rule, do not like to stain wood. I am a minimalist but I might have to change my position.

I think I have enough time to make some alterations. Probably not to the thickness of the bowl but I could make another pedestal.

I appreciate the help.

Toney

Travis R. Nelson
03-24-2009, 7:12 PM
Personally I would make the base lof the pedestal larger and use a taper from bottom to top maybe a spindle 5/32" at the bottom to 1/8" maximun at the top of the pedestal. I would also use a wood with greater contrast to the bowl section. The focus of the piece should be the bowl in my opinion, and the pedestal should be no thicker than it absolutely has to be to transition smoothly. Not a BAD piece though! In fact I am sure I have a few around that are not as nice...

Jason Clark2
03-24-2009, 7:16 PM
I'm with you on the price of Ebony/Blackwood. I recently did several pieces somewhat like this and used Walnut for the pedestals. I didn't ebonize them but they did get oiled and that darkened the color enough that it contrasts very nicely with the Box Elder Burl I used for the "bowl" portion. Another alternative to Ebony/Blackwood that is also very dark in color is East Indian Rosewood. Much less expensive and it can be nearly as dark.

I'd put the detail on the stem 1/3 of the way down from the top. I played with it both ways as I was modifying your original and found it much more attractive at the top rather than the bottom, near the top it draws your eye upward, closer to the bottom and it draws your attention to the foot rather than to the bowl.

Jason

Robert McGowen
03-24-2009, 7:23 PM
I would have loved to use African Blackwood but MAN is that stuff salty.

Toney

Let's say that I want to purchase this piece. I probably am doing okay in life, obviously am not too worried about where my next meal is coming from if I can pay for this, and have some idea of what is cheap and what is not. Stop thinking about PAYING for it and start thinking about SELLING it! Go buy the blackwood!

Just the way I look at things, but of course YMMV.

Toney Robertson
03-24-2009, 7:39 PM
Let's say that I want to purchase this piece. I probably am doing okay in life, obviously am not too worried about where my next meal is coming from if I can pay for this, and have some idea of what is cheap and what is not. Stop thinking about PAYING for it and start thinking about SELLING it! Go buy the blackwood!

Just the way I look at things, but of course YMMV.

Robert,

Good point, I am glad you pointed it out.

Toney

Bill Bolen
03-24-2009, 8:20 PM
Gorgeous piece!...Since you asked I believe all you need do to raise the elegance factor is to ebonize the stem you have. The old rust and vinigar method and a coat of satin poly for protection would make it perfect for me...Bill..