PDA

View Full Version : Jointer or Joiner?

Chris Padilla
03-24-2009, 2:34 PM
What is what? Which is which? :)

Rick Barton
03-24-2009, 2:39 PM
Well Chris, I've always thought that a jointer was a tool, and that a joiner was a type of craftsman. Tho I'm sure some joiners are tools.:p

Darius Ferlas
03-24-2009, 2:51 PM
jointer

the big heavy, cast iron tool
joiner

- a person who cuts and fits joints without the use of nails (obsolete in US English)
- a skilled worker who makes the wooden structures inside buildings, such as doors and window frames (current British English usage)
biscuit joiner

an electric power tool

Tony De Masi
03-24-2009, 2:59 PM
Chris,

The answer is yes:D

Tony

Bill White
03-24-2009, 3:08 PM
Jointer: (N) A motor driven power tool that will sometimes create straight, flat surfaces, and ALWAYS eat your fingers :eek: when you least expect it.
That's from the White Book of Barnyard Philosophy
Bill

Eric Roberge
03-24-2009, 3:33 PM
Jointer: (N) A motor driven power tool that will sometimes create straight, flat surfaces, Bill

Sometimes being the operative word here:rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
03-24-2009, 3:43 PM
What is what? Which is which? :)

Joiner........Animate

Jointer......Inanimate

Regards, Rod

Chris Padilla
03-24-2009, 3:58 PM
A biscuit joiner is animate?

Mike Wilkins
03-24-2009, 4:36 PM
Think that's confusing. In Europe what we call a jointer, they call the planer. What we call the planer, they call it a thicknesser. Over there, you plane one face of the board, then run the board through a thicknesser to arrive at the desired thickness.
Now what do you call a tomatoe???

Cody Colston
03-24-2009, 4:54 PM
Now what do you call a tomatoe???

A 'mater in East Texas. :)

I read recently in "American Furniture of the 18th Century" that what were called Joiners in Europe and England were called Cabinetmakers in the American Colonies...the designation we still use.

The word I smile at is "Jointery." I see that used a lot. Then there is

tennon
dato
mortice

and a few more that I can't think of right now.

Chris Tsutsui
03-24-2009, 5:59 PM
My first experience with mortise and tenon joinery was legos.

Then my first experience with saddle notch joinery was lincoln logs.

Jason Beam
03-24-2009, 7:07 PM
Joiner:
A guy who performs joinery? Elephant + Rhinoceros = ????

Jointer:
1) A power tool used for creating a reference surface where none previously exists.
2) A hand tool used for creating a reference surface where none previously exists.

Biscuit/Plate Joiner:
Porter Cable 557 .... Lamello ... etc.

Biscuit Jointer:
No such aminal(sic). Used by people who generally don't seem to pay attention to the rest of their community using the proper term. I group these folks into the same category as those who use the word "ideal" when they really mean "idea".

:D

Russ Boyd
03-24-2009, 7:14 PM
Joiner:
A guy who performs joinery? Elephant + Rhinoceros = ????

Jointer:
1) A power tool used for creating a reference surface where none previously exists.
2) A hand tool used for creating a reference surface where none previously exists.

Biscuit/Plate Joiner:
Porter Cable 557 .... Lamello ... etc.

Biscuit Jointer:
No such aminal(sic). Used by people who generally don't seem to pay attention to the rest of their community using the proper term. I group these folks into the same category as those who use the word "ideal" when they really mean "idea".

:DJason's on a roll today. Jointer...as in planer/jointer...makes a good joint with another piece. Joiner....tool that creates a way to join 2 pieces together. Kind of hard to explain. Oh well.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2009, 7:53 PM
I used to be a jointer, but since I cut my index finger off I can't roll'em the way I used to.;)

The name of my company is Crooked Tree Joinery, if it was Jointery I would probably have a lot more business.....

Stephen Edwards
03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I bet that in a few years it won't matter to very many people how you spell the words. Both spellings will likely be accepted for either a joiner or a jointer. I see the words spelled both ways, on a regular basis, for both the tool that makes a flat surface on a piece of wood and the humanoid who joins pieces of wood together. Most people can figure out which one you're talking about by the context. One of the cool things about most languages is that they evolve.

If someone says to me: I want to buy a new 8" joiner, I can kinda figure out that they're talking about a woodworking machine, rather than a human being who joins pieces of wood together and is only 8" tall!

Glen Butler
03-24-2009, 11:37 PM
The jointer does not join to peices of wood. I creates a joint that is clean and tight. Thus jointer.

Biscuit joiners do not create the joint. They are a method by which to join the joint. Thus joiner.

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2009, 7:50 AM
A biscuit joiner is animate?

Now that's funny, of course a biscuit joiner is animate, it doesn't matter whether he/she are joining biscuits or wood together.

Oh wait, sorry a biscuit joiner is a machine, a joiner is the person who operates the machine.

However a Joiner is animate, I used to live next door to one.

He had a Trade Certificate (Scotland) to proove it.

My FIL is a retired English cabinetmaker, and I've noticed that his use of woodworking language is more precise, presumably from having been taught during an apprenticeship.

For example, to him a dado runs across the grain, a groove with the grain. The two words aren't interchangeable, yet I often see TV personalities cutting dadoes in both cases.

There's a precision to the terminology that I often see lacking in NA.

Obviously some differences are due to terminology, look at how confusing our use of planer and jointer is.

A planer doesn't make a planar suface, it makes surfaces parallel.

A jointer makes planes.

In Europe, a planer makes planes, a thicknesser makes wood the same thickness.

So if people are calling a biscuit joiner a biscuit jointer, correct them, otherwise they'll never learn.

Regards, Rod.

Doug Shepard
03-25-2009, 8:11 AM
Where's Dan Quayle when you need him?:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jointer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joiner

Russ Boyd
03-25-2009, 8:32 AM
The jointer does not join to peices of wood. I creates a joint that is clean and tight. Thus jointer.

Biscuit joiners do not create the joint. They are a method by which to join the joint. Thus joiner.
So that's how you say what I meant.

Russ Kay
03-25-2009, 8:49 AM
Joiner: one who likes to associate with others of similar interests ... like most of us here on this forum!

Chip Lindley
03-25-2009, 8:50 AM
Having a degree in journalism, I notice many misspellings and misuses of words in our forums. Over centuries, meaning of words and their spellings do change. For instance, it is easy to see how conversational style and word meaning has changed since the writing of the original King James Bible, or Shakespeare!

Presently, many words and their meanings are used in different regions "colloquially:

"a: used in or characteristic of familiar and informal conversation ; also : unacceptably informal b: using conversational style," according to Merriam-Webster.

The best one I've seen ANYWHERE! In a local bargain paper: FOR SALE: Sears Radio Alarm SAW! Cheap!

Bill White
03-25-2009, 9:37 AM
Oh well!! The language issue is a moot point anyway. All I hear is folks talkin' about "raising up", "lowering down", "returning back", "repeating again".
RANT, RANT.
Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.
Bill :p

Chris Padilla
03-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I see you hate redundant repeating, Bill! ;)

Jason Beam
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I see you hate redundant repeating, Bill! ;)

Chris Padilla
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Is there an echo in here?

lowell holmes
03-25-2009, 5:29 PM
Kind of like rabbet or rebat isn't it?

Larry Edgerton
03-25-2009, 6:16 PM
The best one I've seen ANYWHERE! In a local bargain paper: FOR SALE: Sears Radio Alarm SAW! Cheap!

This reminds me of a radio show I used to listen to at the cabin in Michigans Upper Peninsula. They had a callin radio yard sale, and the area was heavily populated with Swedes, and they just look at things a bit different.

A couple of the adds said.....

I have a snow blower, [Pause]for blowing snow......

And....

I have for sale some post hole diggers, [wait for it!] for digging postholes.

I got along wonderfully with all the Swedes around there, and they are a hard working honest bunch, but sometimes they just made me laugh with their keen sense of the obvious. :p

Jim Becker
03-27-2009, 3:20 PM
Jointer = Tool
Joiner = worker

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2009, 4:11 PM
Every time that I type the word jointer in a post here at SMC the word is automatically underlined in red as I'm typing my post, as if it's a misspelled word. Does anyone else encounter that when they type the word jointer? It doesn't happen when I type the word joiner.

I also encounter that when I type contractions, such as aren't, doesn't, weren't, etc. I don't know if that's a spell check feature of the software or if it's something on my computer?

I know, it's a little off topic but is relevant to this particular discussion of the words joiner and jointer.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 4:23 PM
It is your browser settings, Stephen. :) I can type dkqqzzrtie and get no redlines. :D

Matthew Dunne
03-27-2009, 4:28 PM
I know this: if you're looking for a big machine to make straight edges and flat faces on Craig's List, you better search for both jointer and joiner.

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2009, 4:35 PM
It is your browser settings, Stephen. :) I can type dkqqzzrtie and get no redlines. :D

Thanks Chris. I had been wondering about that.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 4:35 PM
LOL, Matthew! You have that right! :D

Years ago I was searching eBay for J.R.R. Tolkien stuff (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit) and I noticed about 10-15% of the listings spelled his last name "Tolkein". It was only after the auction of something I wanted that I let the seller know of the misspelling! I bet he was mad as he lost eyes on his auction thus increasing my odds of winning due to less competition. The item I got was a bargain price as well! :D

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2009, 4:37 PM
I know this: if you're looking for a big machine to make straight edges and flat faces on Craig's List, you better search for both jointer and joiner.

LOL!! Ain't that the truth?! I've found that to be true with lots of things. That's also the case if you're searching CL for a band saw or bandsaw...............or......a shopsmith or a shop smith.

Mike Henderson
03-27-2009, 4:38 PM
Jointer = Tool
Joiner = worker
Except for the plate joiner (or biscuit joiner).

Mike

Chris Padilla
03-27-2009, 4:39 PM
As someone in this thread already noted, there are likely many joiners out there that are tools. hahaha :D

Jason Beam
03-27-2009, 4:54 PM
I posit that when searching craigslist, you had better also search phonetically, while you're at it ...

Sac's craigslist has, for example, in recent memory all of these listed:

biskit jointer
haligen lights
holigen bulbs
radio arm saw

And many people seem to like listing things "for sell", too.

Greg Pavlov
03-28-2009, 5:40 AM
... and then there are people on fishing sites talking about "catching strippers" when they mean "catching stripers" (striped bass).

Greg Pavlov
03-28-2009, 5:46 AM
Hey, there are mornings when I wish I did have one of them saws to shut the d*&!(@d thing up once and for all! (mebbe when my 401K recovers....)

Greg Pavlov
03-28-2009, 5:55 AM
Oh well!! The language issue is a moot point anyway. All I hear is folks talkin' about "raising up", "lowering down", "returning back", "repeating again".
RANT, RANT.
Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.
Bill :p
There have been some improvements. For instance, you rarely hear about houses "burning up" anymore, most of them "burn down" these days. And "Danger, highly inflammable!" signs have almost disappeared (can something "almost" disappear?).