PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor won't work when cold

Dick Strauss
03-24-2009, 1:48 PM
I purchased an oil-lubricated 6 gal compressor recently. The air compressor uses a 10W-030 compressor oil. It started fine for the break-in period when the garage was about 50 degrees. Now it doesn't want to start when the garage is about 40 degrees. I can hear and feel the motor trying to rotate, but it won't come up to speed even with the drain valve open. Is it common for a oil-lubricated compressor to not want to start when left in an unheated garage? Is there a thinner compressor oil (like 5W-20 or 5W-30) that I can use for winter that will flow easier at low temps?

Thanks in advance,
Dick

Bruce Page
03-24-2009, 2:16 PM
Dick, I suggest you contact the manufacture about it. Does it start normally when you warm up the shop? My old Dayton would struggle a little when it was cold. My 3 year old IR doesn’t seem to care.

Roger Jensen
03-24-2009, 2:46 PM
Is this an electric compressor? I had a similar problem with my Dewalt compressor. However, I isolated the problem to the electrical circuit. If it could draw a full 15 amps it would work at all temps, but on circuits with other electrical devices it would not run in cold temperatures.

Dick Strauss
03-24-2009, 3:39 PM
Roger,
Yes, it is an electric air compressor. There is nothing else on this circuit as far as I know.
Is your Dewalt an oil-free compressor?
What is considered a cold temperature for a compressor?
Do all compressors have the same problem with the cold?

FYI-I still work in the garage when it is 30 degrees inside with the door closed.

Aaron Harvey
03-24-2009, 4:16 PM
I have a craftsman compressor, and it takes awhile for the motor to start turning when it's really cold in the garage. I'd say it's 20 or colder when it has to work hard...don't have much problem at 50. I've wondered the same thing if there is a lighter weight "winter blend" of oil that could be used.

Bob Lloyd
03-24-2009, 4:35 PM
It is quite common for compressors to struggle starting in the cold. Once warmed up they will usually kick in again but if left for a while they often have to be drained to restart. Working outside in the mountains of New Hampshire can be a struggle in January and February. However, I do not think 40 is cold, usually I would not have a problem at that temperature, I have three compressors of different sizes that would all start at that temperature.

Roger Jensen
03-24-2009, 5:48 PM
The Dewalt is oil lubricated. Sorry this wasn't your issue - good luck.

Roger

Jason White
03-24-2009, 6:48 PM
Very common. Turn it on and off quickly a few times until it starts spinning.

Jason

I purchased an oil-lubricated 6 gal compressor recently. The air compressor uses a 10W-030 compressor oil. It started fine for the break-in period when the garage was about 50 degrees. Now it doesn't want to start when the garage is about 40 degrees. I can hear and feel the motor trying to rotate, but it won't come up to speed even with the drain valve open. Is it common for a oil-lubricated compressor to not want to start when left in an unheated garage? Is there a thinner compressor oil (like 5W-20 or 5W-30) that I can use for winter that will flow easier at low temps?

Thanks in advance,
Dick

Russ Boyd
03-24-2009, 7:08 PM
Very common. Turn it on and off quickly a few times until it starts spinning.

Jason
I framed for years and Jason said it best. On and off a few times (drained is best), and it should start.

Russ Buddle
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
You could look for a synthetic oil rated for compressor duty. I believe Ingersoll-Rand markets synthetic. It may help.

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I won't work when I'm too cold either.....

george wilson
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
A simple question: How long is the cord,and does it have an extension cord on it? how long is the total length of all cords? a real long cord will rob the amps so bad the compressor may not start. I've had that happen.Could be the cord is long,and just enough current to start the compressor in normal heat,but not enough to overcome cold oil.

Ted Baca
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Russ is right I have a 6hp 30 gallon and it is stored outside in Colorado (my shop is in Wyoming..just kidding) and I use Synthetic and I never have heard it struggle. I do keep a heater in the little shed I built for it but I only use that when I drain it. Also the sunthetic will add life to the compressor.

Todd Pretty
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Bleed the tank (this should be done at the end of the day anyways) ice in the tank and/or lines is a bad thing. Having the compressor having to start pushing against compressed air is harder for it to do.

On/Off til she fires.

If that doesn't work... Plug the compressor as close to the breaker as possible (no extension cords) .

If that doesn't work, lower the viscosity of the oil (or is that raise the viscosity, I dont remember which way that works)... make sure it is thinner.

If it is really cold, when I was framing in the winter, I'd run the compressor with the bleed valve open, until the piston warmed up a little, then close the valve and let it build pressure.

Glen Butler
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
I have no problems using my compressors in the coldest of temps. Even -17.

One time my compressor would no turn over on about a 40 degree day. I immediately turned to the pressure relief, but not the case. A burrowing animal had mostly chewed through the neutral wire on main power to the house and grounding out, but not completely so we were not getting the voltage needed and the amp draw. So check your circuit and make sure you are getting 110V. If you are then check how many amps is being drawn when the compressor is trying to turn over. If that is low it could be a similar grounding problem.

Dick Strauss
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Some folks missed that the drain valve was open and the tank held no compressed air.

I had it plugged into an outlet using a 10' 14g ext cord. I'll have to try a heavier one and see if that makes a difference. There's no reasonable way to plug it directly to the outlet.

I'll also try a synthetic oil (5W-20 or 5W-30 if I can find it) to lighten the starting load.

Thanks,
Dick

Glen Butler
03-25-2009, 1:22 AM
Lighter weight oil won't do a thing.

george wilson
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
10' cord should be just fine. I couldn' get mine to start when plugged into an overhead cord reel one day.

Larry Edgerton
03-25-2009, 6:27 PM
There is a cylinder unloader usually located on the pressure switch, usually has a pull ring on it. Pull that out when it is cold and let it run a couple of minutes free of load. Warms up the oil. Another way is to use a heat gun to warm the oil before starting, or leave a light bulb next to the crankcase.

I have one that sounds similar, and when possible I wire it for 220 volt. Some job sites don't have 220, so I switch it back or use one of the other smaller ones.

Steve Clardy
03-25-2009, 8:29 PM
i won't work when i'm too cold either.....

+1 :d...........

Brian Penning
03-26-2009, 5:22 AM
Lighter weight oil won't do a thing.

I'm confused about all the responses....

From my Makita2400 manual:
"CAUTION: Multi-Viscosity motor oils, like 10W30, should not be used in an air compressor. They leave carbon deposits on critical components, thus reducing performance and compressor life.
Use air compressor oil only."

Then for the temperatures:
Ambient Temperatures at Point of operation:
-16°C TO 0°C (3.2°F - 32°F) SAE 10W ISO 32
1°C TO 26°C (33.8°F - 78.8°F) SAE 20W ISO 68
ABOVE 27°C (80.6°F) SAE 30W ISO 100

Dick Strauss
03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the warning on motor oil. However, I'm using 10W-30 compressor oil as recommended and supplied by the manufacturer.

Eric Roberge
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Couldn't find where you mentioned the brand name, but Ridgid's new compressor has this problem and there have been several complaints about it in other forums.