PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Grizzly????

Ross Ellis
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
First off this isn't intended as a slam on Grizzly. I like their tools and always look forward to going to the store in Muncy, PA. I went Saturday. It's about a 2 hour drive. I went to buy a 15" Planer and a Mortiser. My father in law went for a dust collector, milling accesories, etc.

While we were walking thru the store, we noticed TONS of out of stock signs. I've been to this store loads of times and never seen anything like this. A few tools out maybe. Luckily, the 15" planer didn't have the sign. The mortiser did. The dust collector didn't.

So we find a salesman and tell him what we want. Both items that didn't have an out of stock sign were out of stock. Great. So I mention the 15" with spiral cut. Is it still on sale? He says there hasn't been a sale on that planer in months a few months. ??????

I ask about everything being out of stock. The salesman tells me that everyone is losing their jobs, and coming in and buying tons of tools, and starting their own companies...

Yeah ok buddy. Let's see. Everyone loses their job and goes and spends a ton of money on tools? I'm not claiming to be the smartest guy, but I have 10 fingers. There were way less than 10 people in the store on Saturday morning, which I would guess would be a busy day of the week. Maybe the guys with no jobs come on Tuesday to buy all their tools.

So, all in all. I wasted a day driving to Grizzly. Sure, a phone call could have saved me the trip. That I understand. I understand that a low pay scale will insprire an idiot to become a tool salesman. What I don't understand is why suddenly after years of going to that store and never having an issue is everyone out of stock? I recommend to anyone that is used to going to Grizzly, to call before you go.

I have to wonder if Grizzly is going under?

On the bright side, on the way home I picked up a want ads book, and scored a 20" planer for a decent price.

Chris Tsutsui
03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I noticed this in brick & mortar stores in my area.

If a company is not making as much money as they used to, they keep in stock less inventory and have less purchasing power.

Right now the construction industry is hurting pretty badly, thus there are less tools being sold.

Grizzly proably relies on special orders or online orders, in which case they don't need to have each unit in stock at all of their B&M locations.

Rick Fisher
03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
A lot of companies are lowering inventory levels due to the economy. It could be as simple as Grizzly underestimating what there sales would be. I spoke to a fella from General last week, he said the market for new machinery has been bad becasue of the glut of cheap used machinery available.

Bill Blackburn
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I was looking at lathes and they said the same thing. Jets everywhere since they lower priced but the Powermatics were all a shipped in deal.

Stores and manufacturers starting to get a lot smarter in manufacturing and buying methods. Thing seems to be good for the used sellers too - close to us here they charge 7-% to 89% for used that's been badly used. Get it often too.

Sean Kinn
03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I saw a special on tv the other day talking about how the bad economy in the US is also affecting countries like China that base most of their economy on selling goods to other countries. So, the US stops buying as much, and some of the foreign plants have no choice but to cut workers, shifts, and alter production schedules.

Perhaps Grizzly (and other importers) simply can't get the product in a timely manner to have available to sell. I know it took Grizzly many months to get a replacement part for my G0555x...I can only assume it literally had to come over on the boat. I've heard similar stories lately about Jet, Laguna, Mini Max, and on and on down the list.

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-24-2009, 1:24 PM
I'd imagine their free shipping offers of late may have contributed to their low stock situation.

Gregory Stahl
03-24-2009, 1:39 PM
I heard from another manufacture (Laguna) about a rush on equipment lately from small shops, so I wouldn't doubt Grizzly may be selling more than anticipated. If they reduced their inventory based on the economy, this unexpected rush could could be the culprit.

I'm part owner of a retail hobby store, and the sales in the past few months have been the highest ever! Hobbies seem to be going strong, and I suspect this may carry over into woodworking too.

Best, Greg Stahl

Chris Padilla
03-24-2009, 2:08 PM
Greg,

Any particular niche of hobby that is selling well? I would imagine it to be the slightly cheaper ones but who knows.... :)

Rick Barton
03-24-2009, 2:34 PM
Huh, I don't know anything about the PA Grizzly store, but the one we have in Springfield Missouri is chock full of tools. So is their enormous warehouse across the street. Just this morning I ordered a bunch of dust collection stuff from them and everything was in stock at the Springfield warehouse.

Dan Forman
03-24-2009, 2:50 PM
The credit crunch may be affecting this too. Credit is still hard to find, banks aren't lending like they used to, so inventories are suffering.

Dan

scott spencer
03-24-2009, 2:50 PM
I'd imagine their free shipping offers of late may have contributed to their low stock situation.

My first thoughts as well...

Peter Scoma
03-24-2009, 2:57 PM

Nah. The Muncy store has an enormous warehouse across the street where orders are shipped from. I can't imagine them picking the shelves for filling orders. Then again, who knows.

Stinks to hear the Muncy store is not looking so hot. I drove there from Philly to pick up my jointer and was blown away by their store. Hope it improves.

when I was there, it was a Tuesday morning and at first I was the only person in the place. 2 came in during the hour I was there. I'm not sure how to interpret that though; Williamsport, PA is not exactly a booming town.

PS

Myk Rian
03-24-2009, 3:11 PM
What's probably happening is they don't have enough orders to fill the shipping containers in China. So, they have to wait to get their store restocked.

Bill Blackburn
03-24-2009, 3:47 PM
I saw a special on tv the other day talking about how the bad economy in the US is also affecting countries like China that base most of their economy on selling goods to other countries. So, the US stops buying as much, and some of the foreign plants have no choice but to cut workers, shifts, and alter production schedules.

I might have watched the same thing - the numbers cut in manufacturing are suspected to exceed 13 million people. Just in the production of things - do the world use that much "stuff" was my first thought. It is hard to fathom it is the case yet seems so.

These unemployed numbers here state-side and globally are chilling. These people have to eat and have housing somewhere and somehow. I have this suspicion and fear that this deck of cards has lost only the top few layers and way more yet to come crumbling down before there can be any reasonable rebuilding of the foundation. Like years and years worth. I'm wandering OT --- sorry

Ben Cadotte
03-24-2009, 7:50 PM

Except the free shipping is figured in on the new higher prices on the items. So, I am not too sure the free shipping has much to do with it, since the prices are higher than before when paying with shipping. Not blaming them for raising their prices. Just saying even with free shipping the prices are higher than before with shipping. So, I dont think that is a main reason. I think they are very aware of the economy and reduced their stocking levels. And it appears they underestimated the demand.

And unfortunately due to the shipping time involved from overseas. And in the trans US shipping to the PA warehouse. You looking at several months to restock. I am sure they have normal shipments scheduled. But once you get behind, you stay behind until the additional orders can be processed. This could be many months. Especiall in bad economy when the factory may be at reduced production. So, now you have to also wait for them to speed up the production. Could be looking at several months for them to catch up.

John Keeton
03-24-2009, 9:26 PM
It would seem that all of these observations support the theory that we will soon enter a period of rapid inflation. If we see the buying increase in the face of decreased production and inventories - they could be right!

Steve Clardy
03-24-2009, 9:36 PM
Maybe the griz container ship sank.

Heck if I know. :)

glenn bradley
03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
If you think back to the mid 70's and early 80's recession, this may seem familiar. Many companies hoping to weather the storm move toward a JIT (Just In Time) inventory model. I am currently waiting on some breakers for a DC power distribution unit; 4 to 6 weeks, sold out of Texas and made in Canada. None is stock no-wheres. I assume this is a tough model to implement when you sell "big" stuff(?). It's a guess.

Andrew Joiner
03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
If you think back to the mid 70's and early 80's recession, this may seem familiar. Many companies hoping to weather the storm move toward a JIT (Just In Time) inventory model. I am currently waiting on some breakers for a DC power distribution unit; 4 to 6 weeks, sold out of Texas and made in Canada. None is stock no-wheres. I assume this is a tough model to implement when you sell "big" stuff(?). It's a guess.

Yes,Glenn. It makes total sense. Papa Griz is smart. It costs tons of money just to keep stock in a building with people ready to move it.
If it's true about all the out work people buying machines,I bet he's kicking himself.
I don't think that everyone who's unemployed suddenly took up woodworking,because lumber is at an all time low price.

Cary Falk
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I see it in the tech industry. In a downturn the supply chain wants to burn through inventory because it is money on the books and looks bad for earnings statements. Companies don't buy parts till they absoultely have to and then they want it yesterday. REading on several forums, I am surprised at all of the people buying new tools. Maybe Grizzly was caught by surprise also.

Eric Sayre
03-25-2009, 2:32 AM
Here's another factor-

I have worked for the same company for a little over 20 years, and I have never put in fewer than 50 overtime hours in a single month. I've put in 10 hours overtime over the last 3 months combined, so now I have all this time on my hands to:

work with wood, organize my shop, buy tools, buy organizers for my shop, think of ways to buy more tools, hang out on Sawmill Creek, dream of a bigger shop, build things, buy lumber......you get the point.

People are playing catch-up with around the house projects, and people like me are finally getting getting more involved with their favorite pastime. I'm having a lot more people ask me questions about do-it-yourself items than ever before.

Eric

Rich Engelhardt
03-25-2009, 5:44 AM
Hello,
I stopped in Wal Mart last week to get a flat tire fixed.
While I was there, I went over to the sporting goods section to buy a fishing licence.

Talk about out of stock! The ammunition case was nearly empty.
I mentioned it to the guy behind the counter.

"Yeah, we even sold out our two boxes of .25acp", is what he said! :D
I got a belly laugh out of that. :D

(for you non-shooters - the .25acp is like an open box item with parts missing @ Harbor Freight.)

Sorry - this thread just reminded me of that.

Anthony Whitesell
03-25-2009, 7:32 AM
Not to be too OT. But 'round here, lumber's up. Way up. Like 30-40% high that it was a year ago. Every 6-8 weeks it looks like it goes up another 10-25 cents/bdft.

More on-topic, from where I'm sitting, this is the strangest recession I've been through. I've been laid off 7 times in 8 jobs (I still have #8 so far). Its like a highway full of Corvettes all reving their engines and sitting at a red light. Manufacturing is tooled and ready to go, but the customers can't get money (ie., capital or loans and credit). I still see plenty of job postings each day that are applicable to me, unlike the last two down turns where it was even difficult to find a posting to bag groceries. I would have to agree with Eric and his home improvement/project catch-up theory. At the same time, I'm sure there's an uptick in the woodworkers trying to go pro, but that will be mitigated by the pros 'retiring'.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
(for you non-shooters - the .25acp is like an open box item with parts missing @ Harbor Freight.)

I like that! Worthless little buggers, I think a well thrown rock has more impact.

Chip Lindley
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
WhatEverElse is going on economically, the Muncy Griz salesman lost a sale by not offering to sell you the 15" display planer! IF you don't build it, they will go somewhere else! DUHH! But you scored nicely on a used 20" from another source! The Want Ads are really good for finding a bargain right now! And they are Local too!

John Thompson
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Probably torpedoed by one of those Japanese submarines still lurking out there that don't realize WW II is over is my guess, Steve.

:D

Sarge..

Jeffrey Makiel
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
There's an upcoming episode on the History channel where they search for a sunken freighter to retrieve all its woodworking machines. :)

-Jeff :)

Bob Luciano
03-25-2009, 1:26 PM
Maybe they are reviewing the packaging of products or implimenting a new quality control before delivery. Learning from mistakes is always helpful

Clint Schlosser
03-25-2009, 1:28 PM
I read a lot of good conspiracy theories above but I believe that Grizzly is wholsaler/retailer and knows how to do math. If they bring in a "15" planer" and it costs them 1000$ and they expect to sell it for 2000$ at some point in the future that is basic business.

Things have changed and that sale in the future is looking less likely and since they have to pay the 1000$ to the supplier from china or where ever generally within 90 days they are probably better off holding the 1000$ in another investment and only buy stock to sales instead of forecasted sales.

I would not buy into the theory that "everyone is buying tools" they are just not reordering what they sell is the simpliest reason.

I would say "gee a guy employed by a company is saying his company is doing well I would not have expected that." lol

Joel Earl
03-25-2009, 1:30 PM
That would be great and the precedent set for them all to get the QC together, be it shipping or the product itself. They all have had their errors last year or 2 so it's not a new thing.....

but not having in stock? New and todays times

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2009, 2:17 PM
Could be the ship didn't actually sink. Could just be a smoke screen to renegotiate it's release from pirates. :D:D Jim.

John Callahan
03-25-2009, 2:43 PM
Not the one with your G0691 on it? :D

Shiraz Balolia
03-25-2009, 5:41 PM
The main thing going on at Grizzly is that we are selling a pile of stuff due to the free shipping.

Here are some more facts:

1) Financially, we are probably the strongest machinery company in the USA.

2) We have tens of millions of dollars of stock of machinery at any given time. We have to - we sell a lot.

3) The 15" planer mentioned (G0453) is temporarily out of stock only at the PA location. We have plenty of stock in MO and WA and customers placing orders over the phone get their orders shipped the same day. Besides, there is free shipping on that item!

The PA and MO warehouses back each other up for shipping items to customers. However, the WA warehouse will only service the West Coast customers.

4) There are a few items that get delayed for various reasons. This year, some factories were closed for a whole month for the Chinese New Year, instead of the customary two weeks. We have over a hundred containers a month arriving from overseas and sometimes we transfer stock between locations and some items are en route within the USA on such transfers.

If you are travelling to one of our locations to pick up a machine, it may
be a good idea to call ahead of time.

Andrew Joiner
03-25-2009, 5:52 PM
The main thing going on at Grizzly is that we are selling a pile of stuff due to the free shipping.

Here are some more facts:

1) Financially, we are probably the strongest machinery company in the USA.

2) We have tens of millions of dollars of stock of machinery at any given time. We have to - we sell a lot.

3) The 15" planer mentioned (G0453) is temporarily out of stock only at the PA location. We have plenty of stock in MO and WA and customers placing orders over the phone get their orders shipped the same day. Besides, there is free shipping on that item!

The PA and MO warehouses back each other up for shipping items to customers. However, the WA warehouse will only service the West Coast customers.

4) There are a few items that get delayed for various reasons. This year, some factories were closed for a whole month for the Chinese New Year, instead of the customary two weeks. We have over a hundred containers a month arriving from overseas and sometimes we transfer stock between locations and some items are en route within the USA on such transfers.

If you are travelling to one of our locations to pick up a machine, it may
be a good idea to call ahead of time.

Thank you Shiraz,
It is so amazing to me that you communicate with us here. It says a lot for your integrity that you take time for this.

Stephen Edwards
03-25-2009, 5:54 PM
If you are traveling to one of our locations to pick up a machine, it may be a good idea to call ahead of time.

I live so far out in the boonies that we use chicken wire for our internet connections, here. I follow Shiraz's sound advice even when I'm going to pick up just a few misc. items from the local hardware stores that are only 10 and 18 miles away.

Shiraz's quote above is the understatement of the year! HELLO!!

Cody Colston
03-25-2009, 5:54 PM
There's nothing like getting the straight scoop from the Hookin' Bull. :)

Steve Clardy
03-25-2009, 7:52 PM

Probably torpedoed by one of those Japanese submarines still lurking out there that don't realize WW II is over is my guess, Steve.

:D

Sarge..

ROFL :D:D

Could be the ship didn't actually sink. Could just be a smoke screen to renegotiate it's release from pirates. :D:D Jim.

Seen a show just a few weeks ago. I guess there still is pirating going on out there.

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2009, 9:04 PM
Not the one with your G0691 on it? :D

Nah, that one won't hit the water until October or so. :D

ROFL :D:D

Seen a show just a few weeks ago. I guess there still is pirating going on out there.

Not just off Somalia either. A co-worker's Dad has a good sized boat that they rent out for trips. Through the Gulf, around Florida, up the East Coast. Kyle used to run these trips with his Dad, and they were always on the outlook for pirates. Certain areas, several similar type boats would travel together for safety. Jim.

Ross Ellis
04-01-2009, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just want to clarify. This post wasn't me complaining because Grizzly in Muncy was out of one tool. It was wondering why DOZENS and DOZENS of machines are out of stock, not a "few" items.

The planar in question. Sure it's $950 with free shipping. $850 if I pick it up at Grizzly. Not sure if Free Shipping is what I would call it. An extra $100 bill still leaves my pocket.

I have a garage full of Grizzly tools. I am happy they are financially sound. I have never felt the need to call Grizzly before I went. I guess I am disappointed that this changed.

timothy harwell
04-01-2009, 8:53 PM
I lay stone fire places and other small rock jobs from time to time so I thought Id order a cement mixer from Grizzly as I dont necessarily need a large mixer for the jobs I do. I tried to get them to list the mixer I wanted in their Ebay store so I could use ms cashback for the discount. They informed me that their inventory is too low and, therefore, could not list the mixer in their Ebay store. Its not one of the free shipping tools either. So I ordered today and ended up settling for a mixer that is a step down from the one I really wanted because its in the Ebay store. I couldnt really understand what keeps them from listing the mixer as only 1 or 2 available and they didnt explain. I dont know, I bend over backwards for my customers. Just seems odd. Ive ordered from them in the past and always been happy with their tools and service.

Chuck Isaacson
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Huh, I don't know anything about the PA Grizzly store, but the one we have in Springfield Missouri is chock full of tools. So is their enormous warehouse across the street. Just this morning I ordered a bunch of dust collection stuff from them and everything was in stock at the Springfield warehouse.

I'm with him. I was just down there in MO and was very full when I was there. Along with some very excellent deals if I might add. I plan on going back down for their tent sale in June.

Ben Cadotte
04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know. They missed out on a sale the other night. Said the machine was out of stock and not due in till AUG!!! :eek: 4-5 months backorder. That is a serious kink in the supply chain.

Mike OMelia
04-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Its good to hear from Grizzly on this. The economy is so upside down right now that anything you see out there may not make sense (against the old rules).

Its good to hear that Grizzly is selling like mad. Its stuff like THIS that ends up "stimulating" the economy. Natural business cycles. Goverment inteference hurts regardless.

Way to go Grizz!

Mike