PDA

View Full Version : Toilet leak damage repair

Frank Martin
03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
We recently moved to SoCol and bought a house that was built in 1990. After about 2 months of living in it I noticed the ceiling along a wall below the master bath developed a dark stain. I called in a plumber and he cut the ceiling open to find the source of the problem. As you may have guessed it was the wax seal that was no longer sealing. He replaced the wax seal and suggested I use bleach to treat the affected areas and fix the wall/ceiling. From the outside the affected area was only 4-5 inches across at the intersection of the ceiling and the wall. Once he opened the ceiling I could see some black stains at the bottom of the floor boards and the ceiling joists. Also the water was likely dripping into the wall as well. But the opening is not big enough to see any damage that may have been caused.

I am trying to decide if I should just treat the affected areas that I can see with bleach and repair the ceiling/wall or just call a professional to make sure it is done properly so that we don't face the mold problem in the future.

I would appreciate any thoughts/experiences you have in this area....

David Weiser
03-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I would say to call a professional. The ever pesky black mold is a terrible health hazard in any home. Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

Bob Lloyd
03-24-2009, 7:33 AM
I would open it up to see the extent of the damage and then make the decision. IMHO it will be a waste of time treating what you can see if you do not explore the immediate surrounding area and maybe leave more damage and mold behind.

Steve Clardy
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Leave the wall open and let it fry out first, then see what develops. Mold, etc.

Terry Achey
03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
IMHO - Open it and leave it open long enough to dry the effected areas thoroughly. Once the moisture source has been taken care of (leak fixed), the wall and cieling should not support further mold growth. You can also direct a fan or blower in the areas to accelrate the drying.

If it has been leaking quite awhile, and it sounds like it has been, mold has likely already occured. Did it make you or the family sick? The only permanent solution to elimnate the exisitng mold is to replace the drywall. The paper in the drywall is what "feeds" the mold, but it also needs moisture to grow.

Unless you or your family members have allergic reactions or sensitivities to mold, or have compromised immune systems, I would suggest that you consider confirming that the leak is permanently repaired and the wall / cieling is completly dry, then proceed to close the openings and leave it at that. Personally, I think that for the most part society is over reacting to the mold much as we have to many other natural and man-made exposures. We're all exposed daily to mold spores when we leave our homes and sometimes at very high levels.

That's just my opinion. Others will differ. If you do insist on invasive remidial action, then by all means tear out all the effected walls and cieling drywall and replace it.

Terry

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-25-2009, 7:21 PM
I am trying to decide if I should just treat the affected areas that I can see with bleach and repair the ceiling/wall

If the leak was over a long period maybe you 'll want to explore a bit.

or just call a professional to make sure it is done properly so that we don't face the mold problem in the future.

NO~!! Do not let a professional any where near your house~!! Last thing you need is some school teacher a preacher a lawyer or physician mucking about with your home.

If you call any one call a tradesman (or woman) and have it done by an expert.