PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Electrical Entrance

Lewis Cobb
03-23-2009, 10:11 PM
There are those that would say I have too much spare time on my hands and they might be correct, but I really like the way this creation turned out.

The electrical entrance in my shop looked a little ugly so I decided to add an enclosure of sorts around it. I got out of hand and had a color match done down at the local paint store. Then I fired up the fancy decal machine at work we use to make lexan decals for equipment.

Here's the result - before and after - what do you think?

Before

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Electrical%20Entrance/146_4621.jpg

After

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Electrical%20Entrance/146_4624a.jpg

Steve Kohn
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Very nice...BTW did anyone ever tell you that you have too much time on your hands?

David Christopher
03-23-2009, 10:34 PM
that is very nice.......I like it

David Weiser
03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow, that is awesome! Also, did anyone ever tell you that you have too much time on your hands?

Chris Rosenberger
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice job.
Where are the racing stripes?

Lewis Cobb
03-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I have to admit I was a little sheepish posting this up here for fear of public ridicule and general shaming seeing as it's not a "hard core woodworking" project. But I was grinning so much when I installed it earlier today that I figured I would just stand up and be proud...

....maybe I'll build up the nerve to post the window valences when they are done too.....:eek:

Rollie Meyers
03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
If the voltage is 600 volts and less it's LOW VOLTAGE.:D Although this post is in jest, the statement about low voltage being 600 volts and less is true.

Bill Houghton
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
If the voltage is 600 volts and less it's LOW VOLTAGE.:D Although this post is in jest, the statement about low voltage being 600 volts and less is true.

Maybe so, but do you really think a sign that read, "DANGER. Low Voltage", would be taken seriously? That'd be almost as bad as a sign reading, "DANGER. KITTENS BEHIND THIS DOOR."

And, even if that's a technically true statement, the vernacular use of the term "low voltage" usually applies to things like doorbell transformers, so I think it's an appropriate misuse of the term "high" in this case.

Lewis Cobb
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice job.

:mad: - Now I have to stop by the automotive shop tomorrow !

Bill Houghton
03-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Too easy to misinterpret, what with the DANGER sign and all.

So, okay, you've been getting lots of ribbing. It IS more attractive, and adds a degree of safety, too, since the plastic conduits are now covered. Plus, it'll make your panel instantly visible in the shop, should any visitor ever have to cut power in a fire.

Rollie Meyers
03-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Maybe so, but do you really think a sign that read, "DANGER. Low Voltage", would be taken seriously? That'd be almost as bad as a sign reading, "DANGER. KITTENS BEHIND THIS DOOR."

And, even if that's a technically true statement, the vernacular use of the term "low voltage" usually applies to things like doorbell transformers, so I think it's an appropriate misuse of the term "high" in this case.

Hazardous Voltage is a more correct use. But as was said before it was written in jest.

Tom Hintz
03-24-2009, 2:59 AM
Very cool. I sent the link to a friend at Powermatic to brighten his day.

Lewis Cobb
03-24-2009, 7:19 AM
Very cool. I sent the link to a friend at Powermatic to brighten his day.

Hi Tom - I did the same actually. There's a tech support guy there that's been fantastic helping me iron out a few wrinkles with a new PM2000 and I figured he'd get a kick out of it.

Rod Sheridan
03-24-2009, 8:18 AM

Funny, that's what I was going to say, except in Canada it's 750 volts.:D

Very nice enclosure for the panel, hope it has some ventilation openings top and bottom.

Regards, Rod.

dan mahler
03-24-2009, 8:31 AM
Very clever, great job.

Lewis Cobb
03-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Funny, that's what I was going to say, except in Canada it's 750 volts.:D

Very nice enclosure for the panel, hope it has some ventilation openings top and bottom.

Regards, Rod.

Hi Rod - good point on the ventilation openings. There's a bit of slop around the conduit entrance / exit but it would probably not hurt to bang some vent holes at each end.
Thanks,
Lewis

David G Baker
03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Lewis,
Thank you very much for sharing. I have been looking for a way to dress up some of my electric panels.

Lewis Cobb
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Lewis,
Thank you very much for sharing. I have been looking for a way to dress up some of my electric panels.

Hi David - Glad to hear there's someone that can benefit from my creation. Make sure you make them so that you can dismantle it in the future. I made mine with 1/4-20 knock down fasteners and 1/4-20 inserts into cleats on the wall (you can see the cleats in the "before" picture). When (not if) I need to run more wires or conduit to the panel, it just pops off the wall.

Make sure to take a picture of your version and post 'er up when you have something.

Cheers,
Lewis

David G Baker
03-24-2009, 1:20 PM
Lewis,
I saw the cleats and liked that idea as well. I will try to remember to take pics. Mine won't be as nice as yours because my shops are quite "rustic". :D
I am always adding some new wiring cause everything I do is in a constant state of flux so having a removable cover is a must.
Didn't know that a panel had to be vented. I'll have to research that.

Adam Carl
03-24-2009, 9:00 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting!

gary Zimmel
03-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Well suited for a man cave Lewis....

Looks great

Rollie Meyers
03-25-2009, 8:39 AM
Lewis,

Didn't know that a panel had to be vented. I'll have to research that.

There is no requirement to "vent" a panel, the panel is made for flush mounting, although a lot of loadcenter manufacturers are calling that trim as a combo type for surface/flush mounting.

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2009, 9:42 AM
Hi Lewis, actually your installation would be fine.

When I looked at the photo I thought that you had put the panel in an enclosure, in which case it would have needed some ventilation.

Regards, Rod.

Lewis Cobb
03-25-2009, 9:57 AM
Hi Lewis, actually your installation would be fine.

When I looked at the photo I thought that you had put the panel in an enclosure, in which case it would have needed some ventilation.

Regards, Rod.

You could say that it's in an enclosure of sorts - given that it's covered on all sides and the only breaches in it are the openings for the conduit to enter on each end. Your vent comment did get me thinking though and last night I went out and reached in and grabbed the wires that are feeding a 30 A / 240V heater that had been running a while in the shop (the insulated part of course :D ). They were slightly warm but nothing I would call hot enough to heat up a cavity. With a 20A run to a future cyclone, and one machine going full tilt at 10-15A I can see doubling the warmth but then again, it's so slight that it's not really a concern. For the time it will take to bang a few holes in the top and bottom where they can't be seen anyway, I'll probably do it next time I have the cabinet off the wall - if nothing else it will give me a warm fuzzy feeling....sort of like putting glue on pocket hole screw joints - not really needed but makes you feel good about things....

Cheers,
Lewis

Scott Loven
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM

I dont know; I had a guy who worked for me who left the back door open and a stray kitten wandered in to the back bedroom. When he went to pick it up the cat lunged at him, bit him on the wrist so bad that he almost bled to death, had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

Rob Russell
03-26-2009, 2:09 PM
Lewis,

FYI - the conduit needs to be "supported" within 3 feet of entering the boxes. It looks to me like you might have more than 3 feet of unsupported conduit below the box. Next time you're in there, attach an appriapriate thickness strip of wood to the wall behind the conduit halfway down the wall and strap the conduit to the wood with the appropriately sized straps.

One other thing - where the conduit penetrates the floor, the openings need to be "fire-stopped". That means caulked with an approved flame retardent caulk. You can get it at the big box stores. Our local HD carries a brand called FireStop.

Chris Padilla
03-26-2009, 2:18 PM
Then I fired up the fancy decal machine at work we use to make lexan decals for equipment.

My apologies for using the word but it is just darn cute! :D

So what about these lexan decals for the equipment? We need some pics!

I wonder, why was everything surface-mounted? Easier?

Lewis Cobb
03-26-2009, 2:18 PM
Lewis,

FYI - the conduit needs to be "supported" within 3 feet of entering the boxes. It looks to me like you might have more than 3 feet of unsupported conduit below the box. Next time you're in there, attach an appriapriate thickness strip of wood to the wall behind the conduit halfway down the wall and strap the conduit to the wood with the appropriately sized straps.

One other thing - where the conduit penetrates the floor, the openings need to be "fire-stopped". That means caulked with an approved flame retardent caulk. You can get it at the big box stores. Our local HD carries a brand called FireStop.

Hi Rob -
You're probably right on that 3' business under the box - I'll add a couple of straps the next time I am in there - which seems to be every 2 days lately.

On the floor - that's just a landing that's about 2 feet off the concrete floor so it's not really a sealed up place. In fact, you can crawl under the landing from the side (as I have done about 936 times when running wires and conduit...).

Thanks for the input.

Lewis

Lewis Cobb
03-26-2009, 2:24 PM
My apologies for using the word but it is just darn cute! :D

So what about these lexan decals for the equipment? We need some pics!

I wonder, why was everything surface-mounted? Easier?

Hi Chris -

My wife liked it too and I think she used that "cute" word. That's key for me - next time I am pulling some purchase out the back of the car (or a rented truck:D) there should be less resistance....

The lexan decals we make at work are for undustrial remote controls - handheld things that are like a tv remote - only built with cast aluminum enclosures and rugged enough for the gorillas that drive bulk delivery trucks to use. They are pretty slick - the printing operation takes place from the rear so you have to literally scratch all the lexan away before you hit the legends etc. I had the graphic person whip up the high voltage decal from a picture and Adobe Illustrator.

Surface mounting - the walls and everything were done long ago and the electrical panel was surface mounted to the wall.

Cheers,
Lewis

Mike Langford
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I have to admit I was a little sheepish posting this up here for fear of public ridicule and general shaming seeing as it's not a "hard core woodworking" project. But I was grinning so much when I installed it earlier today that I figured I would just stand up and be proud...

....maybe I'll build up the nerve to post the window valences when they are done too.....:eek:

Lewis, I say as long as you're having fun.....Do it!

I like it........Very creative and brightens up your shop!

Oh yeah......It looks like you might have too much time on your hands! :D