PDA

View Full Version : Some Boxes

Ed Sallee
03-23-2009, 8:50 PM
I just finished up this valet..... Bird's Eye Maple & Cocobolo. This was an afterthought to build to match the box in the 2nd picture.... It too is Bird's Eye Maple and Cocobolo. I am flocking the jewelry box tomorrow. Still on the fence what color to put inside... but, so far, it's going to be red.

I am proud to have been invited to display in a gallery in a small tourist town in North Georgia that features Georgia "artists" of all kinds.... Here is what I thought up to put up there...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%205/DSC07650.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%205/DSC07654.jpg

Just for kicks.... I took all the boxes I had laying around the house and put 'em all together for a pic..... The Humidor's owner is coming to pick up on Thursday... her fiance's birthday is the 31st. The maple & cocobolo boxes are gone on Friday... so, sort of a "family" photo before the big ones go off to college. The little ones get to stay home with Mom... cuz she loves them best :) Who knows if we'll ever get the kids together again.... lol

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC07661.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC07663.jpg

Jim Becker
03-23-2009, 9:09 PM
Those are all outstanding looking!

gary Zimmel
03-23-2009, 9:20 PM
Nice work Ed, real nice work....

Thanks for the look see.

Dave Verstraete
03-23-2009, 9:39 PM
Wow!!! Lookin' good, Ed

John Keeton
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Ed, you just do phenomenal work! The wood combinations and the syle are so complimentary of each other - just great!! I would think you should have your work juried if you have not already done so. It is far better than most I have seen.

I don't want to take away from anyone else, but between you and Bill Wyko, I continue to be amazed at the level of work presented on SMC.

Ed Sallee
03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow.... I don't know what to say, guys.... thanks for the great words of encouragement.... Heck, I don't even know what juried means...

Jack Roberts
03-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Wow! Very nice Ed. That looks like very delicate work.

Bill Wyko
03-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Ed, those are fantastic. Any pics of the insides of the humi? Awesome job my friend. The cabinet is very nice too.:):):)

Dewey Torres
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Good luch with the gallery ED! I have seen all of these befoe but still enjoying seeing them again and all in the same place.

Ed Sallee
03-24-2009, 5:11 AM
Ed, those are fantastic. Any pics of the insides of the humi? Awesome job my friend. The cabinet is very nice too.:):):)

Thanks Bill.....I truly enjoy your work too. Yes, I have pics of the inside of the humidor...... It was posted a while back in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105361).

Yeah, I know, Dewey.... I put too many sneak peaks out there.... lol But, doing so, keeps me in check in a virtual sort of way.

Again...thanks for all the kind words..

Jeffrey Makiel
03-24-2009, 6:48 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship and design.
-Jeff :)

Ted Calver
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Ed,
Those are truely inspiring!!

John Olson
03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Very nice and love to see them over and over.

Jim Kountz
03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Ed those are amazing!! I showed these to the wife and we were both in awe of them. I have to ask, the dresser that they are sitting on and the matching chest in the background, your work??

Ed Sallee
03-25-2009, 5:41 AM
Thanks again, guys....

Jim - no, I didn't make the dresser.... it's JC Penney, Circa 1997.....

John Thompson
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Very nice as usual.. boxman.. I see you have been busy up the street in Flowery Branch where those branches are getting ready to pop with not so flowery pollen. :)

Congratulations on the in-vite to the gallery. May I ask where it is? My guess would be the German village in Helen but... I'm not a good guesser in most cases so it might a Gallery at one of the small colleges up in them-thar foothlls of the Blue Ridge.

Regards from down the road in L'ville where QSWO saw-dust is quite thick and permeating the shop at the moment...

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Sure thing Sarge.... it's in Toccoa... Don't know much about it, but I'll see on Friday....

We need to get together again sometime soon.... I'd love to see how your computer hutch is coming along!

Brad Wood
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
yeah, very nice.... I hope to be there someday

John Thompson
03-25-2009, 1:04 PM
Toccoa is a nice little town not far off I-85 N. Quite a number of independent craftsman there as many do the sub-contract work for Habersham Furniture which was originally in Clarksville but moved down to Toccoa where most the the actual work was done.

Habersham had a huge business and show-room with country furniture back in the 70's with the hand work being done from Toccoa up the road 50 miles or so to Clarksville. It was started by a divorced woman and has evolved to her and her sons now. And the line of ware changed from basically country to a more refined what's popular today scheme.

There is also a manufacturer of turned items (from table and chair legs to architectural columns) in Toccoa that is rather large. They cater to architectural builders... factories and independent shops in need of turned items. So.. a very nice place if you know where to go and who to see. You might not guess all that by just showing up in town as it hasn't changed that much over the last 50 years which I can appreciate.

Too the shop... took yesterday off on the desk-hutch to build a dozen ZCI's as I go through one about every week and a half.. and built 3 new spring-boards for various specific uses that were badly needed for the BS.. TS and router. Back on track today...

Regards...

Sarge..

Jeff Mohr
03-25-2009, 3:52 PM
I love the corner posts on that first box....how'd you do that?

And the rest are very nice as well. You'll have to post the gallery (or PM if TOS don't allow info posts) so I can stop buy the place and have a look...only a hour or so from me.