PDA

View Full Version : Klingspor sanding disks

Kevin Blunt
03-23-2009, 7:16 PM
Hello everyone,
I am going to be buying some sanding discs and would like to stock up when I do. I have heard of Klingspor and according to the stockroom supply website, these are the best of the best when it comes to a quality sanding disc. I was going to buy the Norton 3X from LV but it seems that I would be paying about 25 cents less than the LV .80 per disk price if you buy 30+ which I am planning. I am just wondering if anyone has anything to offer about the quality of the Klingspor products or Stockroom Supply products. I would like to buy from Stockroom to support them in their specialty area but I don't want an inferior product.
I realize that it is only sandpaper but I can say that I have really noticed a difference in sandpaper qualities lately and have had some s**t that came from CT and HH. I find the norton 3X to be about the best I have used.
Comments?
Kevin

James Adinaro
03-23-2009, 7:21 PM
I like the Norton 3x. I'm with you there. I only wish they made the festool pattern. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me where I can get them)

Have no personal experience with Klingspoor, but everything I have read is uniformly positive.

Ron Jones near Indy
03-23-2009, 8:03 PM
I have ordered from Klingspor for at least 12 years. Never a problem--good quality and great service.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2009, 8:16 PM
I purchase the 5" hook and loop Klingspor for $21 Canadian for a box of 100.

I've been buying them for years...........Rod.

Jim Kountz
03-23-2009, 8:26 PM
Ive been using Klingspor for as long as I can remember. Not that I can remember all that long but it seems to me its been a long time!!

John Thompson
03-23-2009, 8:34 PM
Klingspor for years also...

Sarge..

Mike Parzych
03-23-2009, 9:07 PM
Klingspor's got the best price/quality combination around. A couple years ago I saw an independent test that rated them slightly better than Norton 3X.

Brent Smith
03-23-2009, 9:24 PM
Hi Kevin,

I use both the Klingspor and the Norton 3X. It depends on who I'm buying from at the time. Both quality products, but in my opinion the Klingspor has a slight edge on uniform scratch patterns.

Charlie Plesums
03-23-2009, 9:40 PM
Klingspor is great, but watch out for the sterated paper... it will mess up water based finishes.

I have also had great results from Mirka Gold with modified sterate... that doesn't hurt water base finish.

If you have a 6 inch Festool, there is a Mirka replacement pad that is far superior to the Festool pad, and allows the use of any paper... 6 hole, Festool, or Abranet. Best upgrade I made to my Festool sander.

Paul Johnstone
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
At one time Klingspore made sandpaper compatible with Festool sanders (I'm still working on the boxes I ordered).. However, since they are now a Festool dealer, I'm not sure they still carry it or not.

It's been a few years, but I think I had to ask for it, because it wasn't on the catalogue or website anymore.

Rob Cunningham
03-24-2009, 9:57 AM
I used to buy Klingspor disks and was very happy with them until I found 3M-255L disks. The 255 is a film backed disk which seems to hold up longer. I've never had any issues with using them and WB finishes.

Roger Jensen
03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Charlie,

I have seen several comments about sterated paper and wb finishes. What type of paper do you specify so you don't get sterated paper? I don't usually see "sterated" or "non-sterated" on the label.

Thanks,

Roger

Charlie Plesums
03-25-2009, 8:48 AM
Sterated is something they brag about, since it dramatically reduces the clogging of the paper. If there is a technical description of the paper (something more specific than "longest lasting, least expensive") it will almost certainly say sterate if it is, and will probably be silent if it isn't

Jeff Jewitt described the Mirka gold paper as a "modified sterate" that doesn't impact water base finish. I use (and like) that paper.

Somebody gave me a sample Klingspor disk - when I had trouble getting a good finish, I traced it back to the sanding disk which was listed as Sterated. If Mirka is able to modify the sterate (or use an alternate "sterate-like" material), others could do it, too. Klingspor may have done it, but I haven't heard them brag about it, and haven't bought any sterated paper from them. After I talked to Klingspor about the subject at a trade show (I think it was the last AWFS) I noticed non-sterated paper listed on their web site.

I use fine sandpaper to rub out finishes, and was excited with the fine grit Titan 2 paper for Festool sanders, but Bob Marino saved me (again) by pointing out that the sterate would mess up my water base finishes - that the paper was often used in automotive finishing where the sterate isn't a factor.

Craig Coney
03-25-2009, 9:25 AM
Klingspor is great, but watch out for the sterated paper... it will mess up water based finishes.

Just curious, what type of issues did you have with the sterated paper and WB Finishes?

Thanks
Craig

Burt Alcantara
03-25-2009, 7:07 PM
I've used Klingspor for about 2 years. When I recently ran out of everything I decided to try VincesWoodNWonders.com disks which are the turners favorites. The cutting abilities of these disks are, in my opinion, far superior to Klingspor. You get a sense that each grade is cutting unlike anything I've gotten from Klingspor. The Klingspor disks feel like butter knives next to Vince's razors. The final finish I get from Vince's disks is a dramatic leap difference from Klingspor.

I'm completely converted.

Burt

Matt Meiser
03-25-2009, 7:38 PM
Until I went Festool, I used the Mirka Gold and liked it.

Terry Brogan
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I've always heard that stearate is a member of the soap family, added to improve lubrication and so reduce clogging of the valleys on the surface of the disk. But the unintended consequence is that it gets left on the surface of the wood, where, as a lubricant, it interferes with bonding of finish layers.