PDA

View Full Version : Glass Shelf Siding Hardware???

Gilbert Vega
03-23-2009, 5:32 PM
I have a metal computer desk that has a glass shelf that is supposed to slide. However, I am missing the hardware. The shelf is 1" narrower than the shelf supports. Can anyone give me some info on where I could purchase the drawer slide? Thanks.

Gilbert Vega
03-24-2009, 4:12 PM
Any ideas???

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2009, 8:45 PM
Can you describe the shelf, or post a pic? Is it just a piece of glass, or is it mostly glass with wood at the edges? How do you know it is supposed to slide? Do you have a pic in a catalog which shows it sliding? Maybe you could post that to see if anybody recognizes the hardware.

Gilbert Vega
03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Can you describe the shelf, or post a pic? Is it just a piece of glass, or is it mostly glass with wood at the edges? How do you know it is supposed to slide? Do you have a pic in a catalog which shows it sliding? Maybe you could post that to see if anybody recognizes the hardware.

Here's a pic from the website. Apparently the supplier does not sell parts for the desk, just complete units. The shelf is all glass, no wood sides.

http://shop.visiondecor.com/new-silver-finish-computer-desk-w-casters-cd-storage-f4689.html

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
It looks to me like you need a slide generally called a keyboard slide, and in particular one with shelf-mounting tabs. Here's a like to KV product (8157) which might work with a little modification. http://www.knapeandvogt.com/scripts/download_doc.php?prod_id=93&id=674&filename=8150 8157.pdf&filetype=application/pdf

Other manufacturers make keyboard slides too, and you can buy them in different lengths.

The keyboard mounting tabs will be used to support the glass. I'm not sure how to fasten your glass to the metal. I'd try using silicone caulk as a glue.

This particular slide has mounting brackets intended to screw up to the underside of a desk. I've seen keyboard slides without them, but can't find them quickly. You might be able to use this slide by removing the brackets.

A nice thing about keyboard slides is that unlike drawer slides they have a detent in the out position, so the keyboard doesn't try to slide back into the desk while you're typing on it.

Gilbert Vega
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look them up.