PDA

View Full Version : What can be done with used chain saw chain

Tom Lewis
03-23-2009, 4:25 PM
This is a ash bowl with a chain saw chain damascus knife with a macassar ebony handle.
I forge welded some used chain saw chain to make the blade.

Ted Calver
03-23-2009, 4:47 PM
Very cool! Watch out for kick back when plunge cutting :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2009, 5:07 PM
Nice bowl Tom - that's quite the finish! Beautiful knife - amazing blade! Being forged - how well does the knife hold an edge?

Skip Spaulding
03-23-2009, 5:13 PM
Tom, both are beautiful! But that is one awsome recycle on that chain!

alex carey
03-23-2009, 6:52 PM
I'm confused a little, probably because I don't understand the terminology. Did you melt the chain and change the shape.

Allen Neighbors
03-23-2009, 6:59 PM
What a mind!! I've wondered what I should or could do with my old chains... but I don't have a forge. Neat work! That bowl isn't a slumper, either. :)

Jeff Nicol
03-23-2009, 7:24 PM
Tom, The bowl is great, but the knife is spectacular! I have tons of old chains, but not the patience to get a blade made out of it. I have always wanted a damascus bladed knife so maybe one day!

Great pair of wonderful craftsmanship!

Jeff

Art Kelly
03-23-2009, 7:38 PM
Two vortices in one shop. You must have to wear a safety harness in there.

Any other material besides the chain? Canister welded?

Nice job all around!

Art

Tom Lewis
03-23-2009, 7:44 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.
To answer a couple of questions, there are better knife steels than a blade made from chain saw chain. The chain saw chain blade does harden in heat-treating and holds a decent edge but there are knife steels that will hold a better edge. A big part of the appeal for a chain saw chain blade is it's looks, seeing the flattened out cutters, and knowing how it started out. Also it's truely a one of a kind piece.
Forge welding has been done for centuries long before welders like arc, wire welders, etc. made their appearance.
In forge welding the different pieces of steel are fluxed, (20 mule team borax works well), then the steel is heated to forge welding temperature which is around 2300 degrees F. At the right temperature and covered with flux which keeps oxygen away the steel will fuse into a solid piece when it is hammered or pressed together. It doesn't need to be hit with a lot of force to weld together.
Old time blacksmiths welded up all kinds of items in their forges.

alex carey
03-23-2009, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the explanation I had a feeling it was that but I wasn't sure. It certainly does make the knife even cool.

Tom Lewis
03-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Art, to answer your questions, I didn't use a canister although that would work.
All I used was the chain saw chain. I'll try to post a picture of what the chain saw chain looked like before I put it in the forge. The white powder in the picture is flux.