PDA

View Full Version : 3d globe vector cutout needed

Martin Boekers
03-23-2009, 3:33 PM
I looking for a vector file that can cut pieces out that when put together will form a sphere or a globe.

I'll be doing it out of acrylic.

It will be hollow and it needs to be like a "wire frame" (for lack of a better word and not solid discs attached to each other.

I hope this makes sense!:o

If someone has one I'm using Corel Draw 11

Thanks All!!!!

Marty

Frank Corker
03-23-2009, 5:57 PM
Clear as mud Martin. Haven't got the foggiest on what you mean. Are these useful?

Martin Boekers
03-23-2009, 6:11 PM
Leave it to me to create more confusion than understanding!:D

This is more what I need to create take away the Earth inside and what is left is what I want.

Just the outline that I can cut the pieces to and then assemble them to give a slatted sphere effect.

Thanks for the effort Frank, I'll file those away for future use!

Marty

Richard Rumancik
03-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Martin, maybe it could be made as a geodesic dome. Rather than use triangles (which would require a lot of parts) it could be done with "wireframe" hexagons and pentagons attached together along the adjacent edges.

Using hexagons and pentagons would mean a less "domed" surface, but it depends on what you want to achieve with it. I think you would only need a couple different shapes. If you search you can probably find the necessary dimensions and angles for these shapes and draw them yourself.

Here's an example of a dome:

http://domekits.sphericalgeodesicstructures.com/preview_003.htm

Edit: you can also search google images on the term "buckyballs" as this is what your shape would look like if made as I described.

Martin Boekers
03-24-2009, 9:45 AM
Thanks for the input!

I'm looking to make a sphere that you can see through as I will be putting an item inside.

I don't want to make panels to attach to each other, just the pieces that are like the outline.

I need to have the actual pieces cut to the shape of the longitude and latitude lines.

These shapes will the be put together to form the "outline" of the globe.

I can draw the pieces or "spars" but I was hoping that maybe someone had a scientific model to save time.

Thaks all for your input.

Marty

Stephen Beckham
03-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Martin,

I believe this is what you are asking for - or at least a start to it.

It's in ver 10.

What I did was two circles with a distance the thickness of the material (1/8" for my use). Then combined them and copied two more.

Then created a bar the same thickness, put it on top of one of the copies and did 'back minus front' (or vice-versa - can never get those right until the second try).

Then created another bar and rotate it to make a cross - laid it on top of the third copy and minused that out.

That'll leave you the main parts you'll need. If you want more bars in the middle, you'll have to cut them long and individually sand down the joints where they won't be 90 degree to each other. Have fun gluing...

Mike Null
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Marty

Shouldn't that be a fairly easy draw? Once you determine the diameter of the sphere then determine how many lines of latitude you want to show and determine the diameter of those. You should then be able to make a single section as shown.

Martin Boekers
03-24-2009, 1:38 PM
Thanks, Stephen

That is basically what I need for the prototype, If it's approved I can work with refining it.

It's sort of like those puzzles I used to have as a kid with all the parts you had to put together.

Mike thanks for the input also.
I have been deluged with work and if I could find a workable file that means I can save an hour of sleep!:D

Mike we are having an open house at the Arts and Crafts center Sat if you like to make a trip out PM me an I'll make arrangements.

Thanks,

Marty

Mike Null
03-24-2009, 2:51 PM
Marty

Thanks for the invitation. I'd like to come over but will be working. I may be over your way on the 26th, I'm waiting on some material to finish a job and I have an installation in Edwardsville.

I'll send a pm if anything can be worked out.

Martin Boekers
03-24-2009, 3:40 PM
Mike your more than welcome to stop by.

If you need a gate pass let me know.

Marty