PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cutting glass questions...

Matthew Curley
03-18-2003, 1:29 PM
Hello all,

I picked up a couple of pieces of glass at a yard sale this weekend, and want to figure out how to deal with one of them. It is 2'x3'x1/2" I was planning on using it as a scary sharp base, but would really like to have 3 pieces at 11"x22 1/2" (to fit in the shelving above the sharpening counter). Otherwise I'll need to incorporate the glass into the table or store it next to the table which would be difficult lifting it on and off. So here are the questions...

How can I cut it myself? or should I take it to a glass shop to have it cut? (I've cut glass often for framing pictures, but never more than 1/8" thick)

If it is tempered does that make a difference? and how can I tell if it is tempered?

It is a really nice piece, squared and beveled edges, and my only investment so far is 2$...

TIA

Ted Shrader
03-18-2003, 1:46 PM
Matt -

I think I would go to a glass place. Also get them to smooth the edges. Shouldn't cost much - but more than the $2 you already have in it. :)

Ted

Von Bickley
03-18-2003, 2:03 PM
Matt,

Knowing the results I have had with glass, I would take it to a glass shop and have it cut. You'll still end up with a good deal.

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-18-2003, 2:16 PM
Take it to a pro. I've cut a lot of glass. 1/2" is thick. Have the edges sanded also.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2003, 2:41 PM
You can easily tell if the glass is tempered. Take it out side on a sunny day. Put on a pair of polarized sunglasses adn look at the glass from a short distance away. If you see a pattern in the surface, it is tempered. If it is clear, it is not. Make sure you try looking at the glass from different angles.

If you attempt to cut tempered glass, it will shatter.

I just had a 80" long piece of 1/4 inch glass cut by a glass shop in to two 40" pieces and had them grind the edges. It cost me $10 for the cut and grinding of all four edges on both pieces.

Matthew Curley
03-18-2003, 6:06 PM
Thanks, guess I'm goin' to the glass shop tomorrow...

Phil Phelps
03-22-2003, 6:33 PM
It was pre cut then tempered. Once it is, you can't cut it.