PDA

View Full Version : Group Mailbox Repair

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2009, 2:20 PM
I got an odd job from a sign customer. There's a large metal multiple-home mailbox for the street that was hit by a car, destroying the pedestal base and damaging just the bottom of the box itself. They ordered a new base which I have in the truck. The box is heavy aluminum, probably .06 thick, powdercoated. The damaged part has been welded to the bottom for mounting.

I have to straighten it some to get the box to sit level, this is the piece where the bolts go to attach it to the base. At the worst place I have to move it about 1.5".

I could turn it upside down, then beat it with a sledge hammer and hope for the best, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has a better idea. One other I thought of is to get long self tapping sheet metal screws, and starting away from the dent, work my way toward it letting each screw pull it closer to where it belongs. Then replace them with shorter screws one at a time so they don't penetrate someone mail box.

I didn't have my camera but here's a rough drawing.

John Fricke
03-23-2009, 5:45 PM
I'm not sure if i understand your dilemna. But if the piece is tweaked can you go corner to corner with a cable come-along and place a tall block under the cable to give you leverage? Due to the huge amount of snow we had this year there is a lot of mail box repair to be done around here. The snowplows are hard on them.

Joe Pelonio
03-23-2009, 8:55 PM
The come along might work, I'll take one along. I like to be prepared and not have to leave once I start, so would like several options. Thanks.