PDA

View Full Version : Off Feed table finish Danish Oil then What?

Ted Baca
03-23-2009, 1:03 PM
I have made the off feed table and have applied 2 coats of Natural Danish Oil to the Baltic Birch top. Since this will have wood sliding across it and I expect some scarring to occur. Am I better to just keep renewing the top with Danish Oil or should I wax it? I had thought about a shellac or varnish finish but think that that would be more work later when it gets ugly. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad Wood
03-23-2009, 1:07 PM
Seems to me putting wax on it will allow for smoother action (i.e. less friction)

Howard Acheson
03-23-2009, 3:17 PM
The only thing that will really both make the surface more slippery and provide long term protection is to apply a plastic laminate (formica) top. Most out feed tables are made that way.

Absent that, there is no finish more protective than 3-4 coats of an interior poly varnish. Do not use a spar or exterior varnish. For the best long term durability, let the poly varnish fully cure for 3-4 weeks. It takes that long to develop full abrasion resistance.

Ted Baca
03-23-2009, 8:53 PM
I really wanted to do a Formice top but I have a sawstop with the gloss black formica extension table and wanted it to match. Silly I know. But to get Gloss Black Formica I have to buy a full sheet about 300.00. I only need 24 x 36 so I decided all my other cabinets are Baltic Birch so I went that way. I have also thought of a 1/8" plexiglass but I have already cut the miter bar slots and not sure how to get a good clean edge on the plexiglas. I have never really worked with it before.

Ed Peters
03-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I really wanted to do a Formice top but I have a sawstop with the gloss black formica extension table and wanted it to match. Silly I know. But to get Gloss Black Formica I have to buy a full sheet about 300.00.
Melamine is normally available in Black for about $48 a 49" x 97" sheet in 3/4" thickness. Black on both sides. Just band the edges with your favorite contrasting hardwood (walnut maybe).

Ed

glenn bradley
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I use shellac and paste wax on BB ply sliding surfaces. They have lasted years with an occasional re-wax.

Ted Baca
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I looked at the Black melamine but was afraid that cutting the mitre bar slots that it would chip out and look similar to doo doo. The sales rep at the store agreed, that is can be tough to router. I think since the danish oil is on it at this point wax is the best solution. I think if it get to looking rough over the years I can spend more time looking for gloss formica or maybe
at that time re-do the extension table and the off feed at the same time.
Thanks for all the great advise.

Howard Acheson
03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
>> Melamine is normally available in Black for about $48 a 49" x 97" sheet in 3/4" thickness.

Melimine is not a very durable coating. It's quite soft and it's applied as a very thin film.