PDA

View Full Version : Jointer advice.

Craig Moulton
03-23-2009, 1:02 PM
I've recently started doing woodworking again, after about a 10-year break, and am looking for advice as to what "budget" jointer to get for making furniture etc. around the house.

I live in the Vidalia, GA area, so mail-order is my usual method for getting woodworking equipment / supplies. I'm trying to keep it under $400 in the interests of continued domestic tranquility. I've found a 6 inch Craftsman benchtop for $60 within driving distance that I can use to have something functional until I find a better choice.

I'd like to find something like the Powermatic 50 that's on Ebay for $200 at the moment, that's located a bit closer to me in rural SE Georgia. Great people, not-so-good shopping.

So to sum up, anyone know where I can find an inexpensive, well-made, easy to adjust jointer with a nice long cast iron bed and user-friendly customer service?

Eric Roberge
03-23-2009, 1:24 PM
I would stay away from any benchtop model unless all you do is small projects. Troll Craigslist and look for the used "good" stuff.
I have a JT 360 from Delta and that new was around $250+. That has a 46" bed.
Really depends on what you want.:confused:
Do some research before you buy! SMC (here)and Amazon offer a lot of good product reviews.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-23-2009, 1:33 PM
Ditto what Eric said, $400 will by you a lot of used jointer. Be patient...

Eric DeSilva
03-23-2009, 2:43 PM
+1 for CL.

Takes time to find the right deal, but I picked up a G0500 Grizzly 8" jointer in excellent condition well within your budget.

Craig Moulton
03-23-2009, 3:06 PM
CL is where I got my TS, a 10" Delta contractor in like-new condition with a nice fence and table extensions for $400. Closest CL location is even 100 miles away. (Macon or Savannah). I'm still watching.

Thank you for the replies. This is a great community.

Larry Edgerton
03-23-2009, 7:11 PM
Stay away from any of the old Sears with the non-adjustable outfeed table. Most of these warped over time so that the two table surfaces are not on the same plane, and there is not a lot you can do about.

I agree, just be patient, a deal will pop up.

John Thompson
03-23-2009, 8:47 PM
Have a look at the Sunhill 6" with 55" beds. I had one for years and it is excellent. You would have to call about the shipping so.. it may or may not be feasible on your budget.

Good luck from up in North Georgia...

Sarge..

Charlie Plesums
03-23-2009, 9:51 PM
I had a 6 inch that I rarely used, because it was too narrow for "good" FAS and S&B lumber (which by spec must be at least 6 inches wide when finished, thus is typically 7-8 or more inches wide rough).

I was dreaming of an 8 inch when I bought my 16 inch. I now think 20 inches would be great.

Craig Moulton
03-24-2009, 2:08 PM
Anyone recommend a good location to find a single phase motor for a powermatic 50?

Tom Adger
03-24-2009, 3:21 PM
I got a very slightly used Ridgid 06101 jointer on ebay about 5 months ago for $215. I am very pleased with it. These type deals are out there, you just have to do some looking to find them.

Paul Ryan
03-24-2009, 9:22 PM
Craig,

Your local "list" is you best option. I dont know where you are, but arround here I just saw a real newer jet JJ-6CSX jointer for $225 but I know you could get it for less than that. That is a really good deal for a heck of a nice 6". I would look for used, you will be able to find used 6" pretty often. I am currently looking for a 8" if i can find one for a super deal. I have the jet and am perfectly happy with it. The only reason i would go to an 8 was if I found a great deal. I missed out on a 8" powermatic a few weeks ago. I was 1hr late. The guy sold it for $400 and from the pictures it looked like new.

Craig Moulton
03-25-2009, 9:37 PM
I found a Powermatic 50 for under $300 (3 ph motor though). I go to pick it up Saturday. I appreciate all the help and offers.

Wally Knight
03-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I found a Powermatic 50 for under $300 (3 ph motor though). I go to pick it up Saturday. I appreciate all the help and offers.

Maybe you can sell the 3ph motor or do a swap. Google is a good tool.

Stephen Edwards
03-26-2009, 5:46 AM
Anyone recommend a good location to find a single phase motor for a powermatic 50?

To begin with, I would check with local companies that rewind and rebuild electric motors. Next step for me would be Grizzly or Harbor Freight. Others here are probably much more knowledgeable than I about this. Good luck!

Stephen Edwards
03-26-2009, 6:32 AM

To begin with, I would check with local companies that rewind and rebuild electric motors. Next step for me would be Grizzly or Harbor Freight. Others here are probably much more knowledgeable than I about this. Good luck!