PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Dado set

Stan Johnsey
03-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Spent nearly all my money on a saw (Powermatic 66). The saw came with a good blade, Forest WW II 40T. I need a decent dado set and I can't afford to spend $300. I am looking at the Delta 7670 ($120), the Northwood ($100) and what appears to be the Northwood on eBay without the fancy aluminum case ($80).

I plan on using it initially to cut a narrow, shallow (1/4x1/4") rabbit in plywood but want something that I will use for other projects.

Eric Roberge
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I have the Oshlun set. Really nice, good reviews and not a lot of $$.

https://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3744&cat=673&page=1

They have a 6" and 8"

Dave Falkenstein
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Freud has several 6" and 8" dados in a lower price bracket, a couple under $100:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=freud+dado&x=12&y=15

Marty Paulus
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
This set seems to work good for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44566

only $40 on sale right now.

scott spencer
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I was really impressed with the DeWalt (now Delta) 7670 (http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Dewalt_DW7670_8_Inch_Stacked_Dado) set for the price. Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7200) has it on sale for $90 (plus s/h).

Edit: I have not tried the Oshlun set that has received several recommendations, but I was favorably impressed with the Oshlun 10" 40T as a great value, and was very impressed by the Systimatic Superfine 8DS42-SFINE (http://justsawblades.com/systimatic/dado_sets.htm) set that the Oshlun's design mimics. Don't forget the "SMC10" 10% discount code from Holbren if you order one.

Paul Ryan
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I second the oshlun set. For the money I think it is a heck of a deal. Some have compared it to the $300 systimatic set. It leaves very flat bottoms, cuts melamine fine as well. I am suprise it was so inexpensive. We will see how it holds up. I have only had mine a short time. But for under $80 that is a really good deal.

Stan Johnsey
03-23-2009, 1:32 PM
The Harbor Freight set looks like the Northwood/eBay one.

I ordered one. Came out to about fifty bucks to my door. Thanks!

Marty Paulus
03-23-2009, 1:36 PM
I have several HF saw blades. They are inexpensive. I get the 40 or 60 tooth 10" for around $10 a blade if you catch them on sale. They work great with no appreciable dulling yet. Additionally if I hit a screw or nail, I am only out $10.

Ron Dorsch
03-23-2009, 1:51 PM
I bought my current dado set from HF sold under the name Avenger. It appears to be the same as the Olshun set. I have had it for 3 years now. Cuts a great dado but the copper shims tend to wind themselves into the abor. Ad a dessicant bag to the box, they tend to pick up rust.

Jason White
03-23-2009, 2:01 PM
I have the DeWalt stacked dado set and have been quite happy with it. I think it was around $200.

Spent nearly all my money on a saw (Powermatic 66). The saw came with a good blade, Forest WW II 40T. I need a decent dado set and I can't afford to spend $300. I am looking at the Delta 7670 ($120), the Northwood ($100) and what appears to be the Northwood on eBay without the fancy aluminum case ($80).

I plan on using it initially to cut a narrow, shallow (1/4x1/4") rabbit in plywood but want something that I will use for other projects.

Andy McCormick
03-23-2009, 2:06 PM
Get the Freud 8 inch set. It leaves flat bottoms in the dado. Andy

John Grabowski
03-23-2009, 2:13 PM
I have the Freud 8in dado set...It is nice!! I have just recently purchased it...I have used it probably ten times and I couldnt be happier, at least I dont think so : ) It was 95$ before tax and they see it at the BORG!! Convenient!!

John G

Dewayne Reding
03-23-2009, 3:46 PM
Purchased the Dewalt and thought it a good value. Years of occasional use without a sharpen.

Stan Johnsey
03-23-2009, 4:33 PM
Interesting, it appears that the Oshlun, Northwood and HF are the same product sold under names . . . and different prices.

Dell Moore
03-23-2009, 4:59 PM
Ditto the Freud set. I have that one too... And I know it didn't cost a lot 'cause I'm a cheap tool collector.....:D

Eric Roberge
03-23-2009, 5:00 PM
Good point Stan, but HF uses C2 Tungsten carbide.
Oshlun/Northwood uses C4 Tungsten carbide. A better carbide IMO.

The northwood one does come with a case. I had to make a case for mine:mad:

William M Johnson
03-23-2009, 5:03 PM
Another thumbs up on the Freud 8" set. I think the BORG has them for less than $90. This is a stackable set with enough adjustment to make tight fitting dados on hardwood plywood. As most of you know and I found out, this stuff is less than the advertised 3/4" thickness.

I do not know what else you would get for more money.

scott spencer
03-23-2009, 5:38 PM
Another thumbs up on the Freud 8" set. I think the BORG has them for less than $90. This is a stackable set with enough adjustment to make tight fitting dados on hardwood plywood. As most of you know and I found out, this stuff is less than the advertised 3/4" thickness.

I do not know what else you would get for more money.

Note that Freud makes more than one 8" stacked dado set. The least expensive is the SD208 (aka DD208) that has 12 tooth cutters and 2 tooth chippers. Their next step up is the SD508 that has 24T cutters and 4T chippers. If all else is equal, more teeth give a smoother cut, and less tearout....more teeth should also equate to longer edge life as there are more teeth to share the work load. Freud also has an adjustable version of the SD508, called the Dial-a-Width (SD608).... the hub on the SD608 requires a bit more length on the arbor to accommodate the entire stack.

David Hostetler
03-23-2009, 6:41 PM
Another voice here for the Oshlun. I couldn't ask for a better Dado...

Stan Johnsey
03-23-2009, 8:14 PM
Another stupid question . . . what's the difference between C2 and C4 carbide beside 2?

scott spencer
03-23-2009, 8:50 PM
Another stupid question . . . what's the difference between C2 and C4 carbide beside 2?

Hardness, which equates to how long it stays sharp. C4 is the hardest and will hold an edge longer than C2.

Loren Blount
03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I used the HF set for many years with fine results. I did finally upgrade to an Infinity Dado set later when I could afford to, but the HF set served me well.

Loren

george wilson
03-23-2009, 11:14 PM
C2 carbide is used for cast iron,and I can tell you from long experience that cast iron is VERY hard on cutting tools,especially when you are doing something like refacing a large faceplate.It is full of carbon,and is very abrasive. The cutter moves sideways only a few thousanths per revolution,and the cut is therefore extremely long. If the tool dulls in the cut,you cannot piece it or it looks bad.

C6 is for steel,but steel is a great deal easier on cutters than cast iron. Hardness is not the whole story with carbide,because as it is harder,it becomes more brittle. Brittle means less wear resistance.

Stan Johnsey
03-30-2009, 9:03 PM
I got the Harbor Freight 8" dado set. Cost $48.98 to my door and took about a week to get it.

Works good (this comin' from a noob with little experience. The two outside blades alone cut a dado that is slightly wider than 1/4" (about .280) very flat on the bottom with just the slightest hint of the rabbit ears someone mentioned.

With chippers the cut is still very good on the bottom but you can see some small lines where the chipper are not quite the same diameter or maybe shifted slightly on the arbor

Now another noob question. The arbor on my Powermatic 66 is only able to take about a 1/2" stack with the nut threaded all the way on. How much of the thread must be engaged for it to be safe. I tried it with a 5/8" stack. The shaft was not to the end of the nut. I think the total with all chippers is 13/16".