PDA

View Full Version : Shop made insert(s) for SawStop (SS)?

Rob Price
03-23-2009, 5:55 AM
Okay, so I want to make some of my own zero clearance inserts for a SS, but I know the opening for the riving knife needs to be there and I've heard from some people it's a little more tricky than your usual oval insert.

I have an old TS book (can't remember the title right now) that talked about a TS throat plate that had removable pieces of wood right where the blade comes through, and instead of changing the entire plate, you change the strips of wood.

So what I'm thinking is taking my extra phenolic insert, routing out a 3/4" or 1" wide dado down the middle, 1/4" deep. then taking a dovetail bit and putting an angle on each side (towards the bottom of the insert ) then I can machine a bunch of blanks, using the same dovetail bit to create wedge shaped inserts that will slide in and out of the phenolic. Use a flush trim bit to even up the front. the sliding dovetail will keep them secure, and that way I'm not buying a $30 insert for every application. (I have a whole stack of inserts for my current setup. raised panels/45 degrees/30 deg/ 1/4 box/ dado etc).

any one else made their own SS inserts?

Mike Gager
03-23-2009, 7:05 AM
what is a SS?

Edit: I adjusted the title of the thread. Chris

Brian Penning
03-23-2009, 7:41 AM
SS = SawStop

Haven't made one yet but I plan on taking a new SS dado insert and without the riving knife installed make the insert the usual way of raising the blade up through it.
Then make a slot in the back for the knife by cutting partly through on the tablesaw.
In theory it should work, in reality.....?

Jeff Willard
03-23-2009, 7:58 AM
The insert that you are referring to was made by Wooddynamics, and, AFAIK, is no longer made. I see no reason why you couldn't do this with a phenolic insert, but you will want a dado wider than 1", in order to accommodate blade tilt. On the one that I have, the replaceable insert is probably closer to 2" wide.

Paul Ryan
03-23-2009, 8:24 AM
Rob,

The SC saw I had, had a riving knife. I made multiple throat plates for that. None quite as fancy as you are talking about with the removable insert. After I had the plate trimmed to match the factory plate, I just pushed it into the blade and made a slot in the back. Then installed it and raised the blade the rest of the way through it. It Worked good. Apparently the factory throat plate on the SS is suposed to be zero clearance at all angles? If you make some inserts send me some pictures.

Ted Baca
03-23-2009, 1:12 PM
I have wondered on this as well but can see no way to make it effectivily better than the OEM.
I doubt that we will ever see aftermarket accessories for the SS due to the liabilities in case of conflict with the SS Blade brake mechanisim. I am thinking maybe take an OEM throatplate and machine it down to accept a wood plate that can be changed out much like the one mentioned in an earlier reply.

Rob Price
03-23-2009, 2:35 PM
I'll get to playing with it and let you know how it works. I ordered an extra blank plate to work on. If it's just putting a saw kerf down the back I may do that, need to figure out the retaining screws in the back as well.

I'm guessing inserts for my stacked dado set will be "old school" since I won't be able to use the RK for those operations.

Chip Lindley
03-23-2009, 2:57 PM
I'm not a *SS Person* but do appreciate a very good zero-clearance TS insert. The Wood Dynamics insert was a novel idea but expensive. Plus, it was a *one-time* purchase. The market dictates *throw-aways* made less expensively! Although the WD aluminum insert is no long made, I did find a link showing it being installed. SS'ers Enjoy!
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/safe-5a.htm

Paul Ryan
03-23-2009, 5:08 PM
Chip,

That was very educational. I appreciate the post. I learned a lot from that. The pictures were exceptional, and added to the learning experience. Thank You

Walter Plummer
03-23-2009, 5:38 PM
It should work fine. I made one out of an after market uhmw throat plate. It was supposed to be made to fit a powermatic 66 but was so loose I had to add set screws to the sides to keep it straight and stationary. I just set the saw fence over the right edge of the wood insert and hold down the left edge with a push stick as I raise the blade through. Good Luck

Ron Jones near Indy
03-23-2009, 6:26 PM
I understand SS = SawStop to many of us; however, to some of use SS = ShopSmith.:confused::eek: Sometimes it might be better to put in a few extra key strokes to avoid confusion. Maybe it's an age thing.:eek:

Rob Price
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
what's a shop smith???

Just kidding. ;)