PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Shop built tenon Jig for the Super Sled

John Nixon
03-23-2009, 5:54 AM
I finished the latest accessory for the Super Sled - the Tenon Jig.
It's pretty darn easy to build. Given the cost of commercial tenon jigs, you could easily make this one with the scrap plywood you have laying around.

To watch the video on YouTube, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C4A361A90F1D9C8F

The Tenon Jig's features include:

micro adjustment feature
built in scale
unique leveling system
http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/projects/supersled/pagepics/TenonJig_Mounted_sm.jpg
http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/projects/supersled/pagepics/TenonJig_Rear_sm.jpg

Stephen Edwards
03-23-2009, 7:25 AM
John,

As expected, another very clear and easy to understand video of a useful addition to your Super Sled. Thanks for sharing. Your step by step videos certainly are a big help to those of us who wish to try our hand at building one of your useful shop made fixtures. Again, thanks so much!

Chris Padilla
03-23-2009, 1:14 PM
Good stuff, John!

I'd like to see a removable insert for the super sled in case you need to make cuts on the table saw with the blade tilted. I wonder if a 3/4" base for the sled might be better suited for this task? You start to lose a bit of blade cutting height, however....

John Nixon
03-23-2009, 4:02 PM
Good stuff, John!

I'd like to see a removable insert for the super sled in case you need to make cuts on the table saw with the blade tilted. I wonder if a 3/4" base for the sled might be better suited for this task? You start to lose a bit of blade cutting height, however....

Good suggestion on the removable insert Chris. I don't bevel often myself, but I can see where that would be handy. You'd have to go up to the thicker board like you said.

I had thought about using the low profile t-track embedded in a 3/4 inch thick main board. I decided on the to go with the slots instead for a couple of reasons:
I'm trying to keep the weight of the sled down. The overall width of the main board of the sled is 40 inches, and the rear fixed fence will extend out the left side beyond that to about 46 inches total (I think). The half inch plywood seemed like a good with the reduce the weight and make the sled more manageable.
I was being stingy with the rip height capacity. I know it's only a 1/4 inch difference, but every little bit counts I suppose.
The last reason was that my current crosscut sled has a 1/2 inch main board, and it's worked out quite nicely - I find it to be pretty rigid.
No matter which thickness you decided to go with, you need to pick a decent board. I went through no less than about 30 boards before I found my marginally acceptable one.

Thanks for checking out the video.

John

John Nixon
03-23-2009, 4:05 PM
Thank you Stephen. After using a tenon jig that is mounted on my crosscut sled, I don't think I'd want to use one any other way. It just feels so much more controlled being carried through the blade on the sled. I really like the new setup. This setup is very similar to my old angling tenon jig and crosscut sled combo, so the method has proven well for me for many years.

I appreciate you watching the video and commenting here.

John

Jim Kountz
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
John, both the sled and the tenon jig look very good and more importantly SAFE!! I really like the micro adjustment and the scale. One thing I would suggest is a toggle clamp instead of using a separate clamp. I made a tenon jig some years ago that rode on the table saw fence. Basically it was just a right angle fixture but adding that toggle clamp was a huge time saver. The main reason I did it was once while using the jig I was taking the clamp off the turn the board around and my slippery fingers dropped the clamp while the saw was running. It didnt hit the blade but it sure got me thinking!! I think with your design it looks like you could just mount it on the vertical piece that the workpiece sits against.
Either way, very nice job and thanks for taking the time to post this for us!!

Chris Padilla
03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Good idea, Jim, on the toggle clamp. It would become a permanent part of the tenon cutting jig.

Jim Kountz
03-24-2009, 3:26 PM
Yeah it worked really well for me Chris and more importantly it took one more possible danger out of the equation!!

Myk Rian
03-24-2009, 6:08 PM
Nice videos John. I think I'll be making one of those sleds. I've been looking for the right one to build, and that's it.

John Nixon
03-24-2009, 9:05 PM
I concur Jim - good suggestion on the toggle clamp! Thanks for checking out the sled, and I appreciate your feedback. I'll have to track down a decent toggle clamp.

John Nixon
03-24-2009, 9:07 PM
Good to hear Myk. I'm flattered that my design is a winner!

Bruce Page
03-24-2009, 9:32 PM
Well done videos John. I like your sled design. I put a removable/replaceable throat plate in mine when I built it and I’ve yet to use that feature. I have a question on the leveling screws for your tenon jig. Don’t they dent into the deck board when you tighten up the jig?

Brian Effinger
03-24-2009, 9:54 PM
Great sled, great jig and awesome videos John. I still have been looking for a good sled design for a year now, and I believe this may be it.

A little OT:

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." - W. C. Fields

Are you sure that was W.C. Fields. I could have sworn I heard Norm Peterson say that. :D :D :D

Chris Padilla
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Well done videos John. I like your sled design. I put a removable/replaceable throat plate in mine when I built it and I’ve yet to use that feature. I have a question on the leveling screws for your tenon jig. Don’t they dent into the deck board when you tighten up the jig?

I've been cut 45 miters on my Tansu so naturally I was thinking about it but you're right, I'd say 99% of the time, I do not tilt my blade but there will be that time...when I need to bevel...and I need my sled...and I really don't wanna mess it up by cutting a new kerf through it! :D

Bruce Page
03-25-2009, 1:13 PM
I've been cut 45 miters on my Tansu so naturally I was thinking about it but you're right, I'd say 99% of the time, I do not tilt my blade but there will be that time...when I need to bevel...and I need my sled...and I really don't wanna mess it up by cutting a new kerf through it! :D

Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have.

John Nixon
03-25-2009, 4:51 PM

Thanks Bruce. I had the same thought about the leveling screws digging in. I could see how over time it might create little dents where the leveling screws are located and make it tougher to micro-adjust. I think I'm going to slip a piece of formica or something under there.