PDA

View Full Version : Week end turnings

Mike Golka
03-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Well I finally got around to going to one of the local turning club meetings last week. Great bunch of folks. :DThey do this thing where you get a template and turn something to match. Tought I'd give it a go so I glued up this little vase from rock maple and walnut. 7.5" x 4". I picked up a small blank of dalmation wood yesterday and turned the box today. It's 2.75" x 3"

Steve Schlumpf
03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Very nice work Mike! Really like the contrast between the maple and walnut! Really nice little box! Pretty wood! Great form and finish on both pieces! Keep up the good work!

alex carey
03-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Both are great but I like box a lot. The shape of the top is cool.

Brian Effinger
03-23-2009, 9:41 AM
I really like that segmented piece, Mike. It reminds me of a flower, before it opens up. While I'm not crazy about the wood used in the box, I think the form is excellent.

Great work! :)

Dean Thomas
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I enjoyed both pieces. Shapes are nice, pleasing on my eye.

Comment on the vase: Looking at the bottom portion, I see two layers of maple. On top I see only one. It might have been nice to echo either number. Just a thought.

Comment on the box: Love the shape. Picture is a bit dark so I saved it and ran it through Photoshop to lighten it up in the shadow end of the curve. Pleasant grain. Are the marks on the side reflections or "features" of that piece of wood? I can't tell.

If they're reflections, I have a story and you can guess the warning. There was a round, reflective, shiny object for sale on eBay a year or more ago. The picture had been taken absolutely face on. The problem was that the photographer (she) did not bother to dress for the occasion. Or at all for that matter. I'm guessing she was happy it was a short auction!

Keep up the good work, Mike!!

Mike Golka
03-25-2009, 8:48 AM
Thanks for all your comments. Dean, those dark marks are indeed features in the wood. They are only prominent on one side but were a nice suprise.