PDA

View Full Version : G0513X Fence Handle Fix

glenn bradley
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I think I saw a rather elegant solution to this problem here at the Creek but cannot find the post. The problem is that the fence handle peeks above the table level when in the unlocked position. At least one other person has been bothered by this as the person who posted, moved the handle and added some linkage to activate the locking mechanism. This keep your material from hanging up on the fence handle while you are moving it in to position.

My skill set is a little limited for the fix I saw so here's what I did:

Remove the handle:

Get a screw and washer instead:

Counter bore a piece of scrap:

Route the back to straddle the original handle mounting block so things don't twist:

In the unlocked position, material now clears the handle:

I ran out of pics to show the locked position but, it is "down" from the unlocked position.

I made a place to hang my fence (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102896&thumb=1&d=1228504612)when it is not in use. One of the hollow sections in the fence slips over a dowel. If you lay your fence on a table when it is not on the saw, the handle fix could be more trouble than help ;-)

glenn bradley
03-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Locked position:

jerry nazard
03-23-2009, 3:51 AM
Glenn,

That could have been my post a long way back. I used some 1" alum bar stock and a piece of 3/8 brass rod to shift the handle location to the left side of the fence head assembly. This worked out great for me as I use the saw to cut things that require fine adjustments to the fence position while the stock to be cut is in place.

-Jerry

Barry Vabeach
03-23-2009, 8:22 AM
Glenn, elegant solution. I drilled and tapped the locking block so the original handle can be mounted 90 degrees off the original mounting, but I like you solution better - less work. Barry

glenn bradley
03-23-2009, 9:13 AM
Glenn,

That could have been my post a long way back. I used some 1" alum bar stock and a piece of 3/8 brass rod to shift the handle location to the left side of the fence head assembly. This worked out great for me as I use the saw to cut things that require fine adjustments to the fence position while the stock to be cut is in place.

-Jerry

That's the one Jerry. That is sooo cool!

glenn bradley
03-23-2009, 9:15 AM
Glenn, elegant solution. I drilled and tapped the locking block so the original handle can be mounted 90 degrees off the original mounting, but I like you solution better - less work. Barry

That was my original plan when I realized I was trumped by a total lack of confidence (and tools) to drill and tap one entire hole :D:D:D.