PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon Cedar and Lychee

John Frigillana
03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
;) Lebanon Cedar is 6.25"H X 8"W finished with Danish Oil and several coats of Wipe on Poly. Lychee is 7.5"H X 5" W finished with Danish Oil and Beal buffed.Used Ci1 to rough it out and Sorby Swan neck Hollowing tool to finish.

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Holly cow...someone else is tuning cedar and inlaying turnings:D.

How did you tackle the challenge of the Dutchman repairs in the curved surfaces?

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Keoni - very nice turnings! Pretty wood, pleasing forms and real nice looking finishes! Also like the butterfly patches - looks really cool!

John Frigillana
03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
:eek:The Patches ( Pewa is what we call them in Hawaii) was put in after the beads wear cut and sanded. It got too thin at the shollowest part of the beads and ended up cracking. Glued them with CA and the Pewa's cut in thru both sides to strengthen the lip and beads.:)

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
:eek:The Patches ( Pewa is what we call them in Hawaii) was put in after the beads wear cut and sanded. It got too thin at the shollowest part of the beads and ended up cracking. Glued them with CA and the Pewa's cut in thru both sides to strengthen the lip and beads.:)

What I meant was how did you cut them? The recesses for the Pewa?

Mike Golka
03-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Very nice, well done!

Jeff Nicol
03-23-2009, 8:03 AM
Keoni, The woods and vessels are great! I lived on Oahu for a year and wish I had some of the woods I saw over there, now that I am back in Wisconsin! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

John Frigillana
03-24-2009, 9:55 PM
;) The patches were cut out with an X-acto knife. I got good at it . It's most of the wood I use by choice have a small crack in it. If you let me know maybe we can swap wood.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Keoni both pieces are beauties. I like the inlay.