PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 221240 Biesemeyer Fence - Please Help...

Kyle Tucker
03-22-2009, 8:42 PM
Hello to all,

I have had this saw for a couple of years, and have been very satisfied with it. However, I need to increase my crosscutting width and I was wondering if any of you out there who have this saw have moved the Bies. fence to the right any. I read somewhere that this increases the cutting width to about 40" or so. Also, for those of you that may have moved the whole works to the right, what did you do with/how did you modify the steel tape on the rail? I would appreciate any input on this and thanks!

Kyle

Joe Dowdy
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
just a little imput I have the same saw and the tape is pretty accurate but i always measure each cut with a tape from fence to blade. so i wouldnt worry about the tape too much

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Haven't done it on that particular saw but I have on three others. Each one I got 40" on. I also nixed the tape altogether.

My current Beismeyer fence [Delta saw] has 42" to the right. Sure do like that extra room!

scott spencer
03-23-2009, 6:29 AM
Hi Kyle - Sliding the front rail was pretty simple, and I gained 10" capacity. I left the back rail and the front bracket untouched, and slid only the front tube. I moved it the distance of one bolt hole so I didn't need to redrill that. I also replaced the original laminate extension table with a slightly larger router table also made from laminated pressboard, but a bit thicker.

You'll need to relocate or replace the tape measure once you're done. I just lifted it, wiped the rail with alcohol and relocated it, then fine tuned the cursor. You'll need to remove and remount the switch too....some drilling and tapping may be required to do it like it was....I used a C-clamp temporarily. That's it. Good luck!

Guy Germaine
03-23-2009, 6:30 AM
I did it on mine. I think you wind up with 41 1/2" to the right of the blade. I moved the tube over 2 holes. You'll have to drill and tap the tube to remount the On/Off switch, but that's no big deal. Also, I just peeled the tape off, cleaned the tube with mineral spirits, and stuck it back down in the proper place. Worked like a charm. The whole process took about a half hour.

glenn bradley
03-23-2009, 9:24 AM
Done it. Easy. Do it. I tried to save a few bucks and added a stick-on tape that was so-so. I intended to get a decent one but added a digital fence during a blowout sale. Now the tape gets me close and the DRO does the final. I believe others have said that Starret's stick-on tape is good and not too costly.