PDA

View Full Version : DowelMax Modification.....

Bill Huber
03-22-2009, 7:11 PM
This is not a big mod but it does help in cases were you need to drill holes but do not have the spacers that match what you want.

In this case I wanted to drill 3 holes on a 1 1/2 wide board. Yes I could have just clamped a board to the one side and then clamped the block to that, I have done this may times before on wider boards.

Anyway here is a little mod that will not take but a few min. to do and works very well.

Remove the clamp side of the DowelMax, with a 5/64 allen wrench remove the little allen screws in the middle of the clamp screws and remove them form the plate.

Now layout, center punch and drill two holes, one in each end of the plate with a number 25 drill bit. The holes should be drilled so they hit right in the center of the clamp screws.

Now tap the holes with a 10-24 tap, that is what I used and I think that is about the right size for the job. I did clean up the clamp screw holes with a 5/16 tap just to clean them out.

The only nylon screws I had were a little to long but I have some shorter ones on order. (see last image)

Put the thing all back together and you are ready to go.

To use it just set the block on the board turn the clamp screws until you have the block just were you want and then lock the screws with the one you just installed. That is all there is to it, take the nylon screws out and put them with all the other DowelMax stuff for the next time you need them..

113764 113765

113766 113767

Chris Padilla
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Bill. I don't have a Dowelmax so I don't quite get how your mod is useful but it must have been a little nerve racking drilling into that tool! :)

Oh, yes, a #25 drill bit is what one should use for a 10-24 tap.

Prashun Patel
03-23-2009, 1:03 PM
Very useful. Thanks.
I've used all manner of washers to shim the block, but I may try this....

Bill Huber
03-23-2009, 5:18 PM
Thanks, Bill. I don't have a Dowelmax so I don't quite get how your mod is useful but it must have been a little nerve racking drilling into that tool! :)

Oh, yes, a #25 drill bit is what one should use for a 10-24 tap.

There are time with different thickness of wood that the spacers that come with the DowelMax just will not work.

In the image that is a 1 1/2 inch board with a 1/16 offset and there is no spacers that will work to clamp it to that size stock. In the past I have just cut wood spacers but that is a real pain to make different spacers every time you have a board that is something out of the norm.

With a wide board you can clamp a board down and then clamp the DowelMax block to it and that works great but on this board it was just not that easy. Also when you are using the 1/4 bushings on a board that is thinner then 3/4 you have to shim it to get it to hold.

As to drilling it, that was really not a big thing, I used the drill press and it went very well. You would have to really screw up the drilling to effect the jig in any way.

Bill Huber
03-23-2009, 5:20 PM
Very useful. Thanks.
I've used all manner of washers to shim the block, but I may try this....

Yes been there done that, washers and cut shims to get it just were you want it. With the clamp screws held in place you will now have a reference surface to use.