PDA

View Full Version : Man on the moon

Donnie Raines
07-21-2004, 3:35 PM
I was watching a show last night that explored the idea that the manned missions to the moon were all staged by NASA. Those that felt it was indeed a hoax had some very interesting viewpoints on why they felt this way. Then of coarse you had those that assure us that we did indeed land on the lunar surface.

I dont know....I am just sitting here at "work" and the phone is dead....and I had nothing better to think about right now..... :rolleyes:

I gather that it would have been easier/cheaper to actually go to the moon then it would have been to set up this elaborate "scam" to make us think we did......... :cool:

Ken Garlock
07-21-2004, 7:11 PM
Hi Donnie. Did the naysayers explain how the reflecting prism ended up on the moon? By shooting pulses of laser light at the prism, the distance from the earth to the moon can be measured down to the inch. But, on the other hand, all the astronomers in the world are probably in on the scam. ;)

Was that program on the Sci-Fi channel? :rolleyes:

Keith Outten
07-21-2004, 9:54 PM
Donnie,

I worked at NASA Langley for ten years and knew the CNC machinist who built a huge scale model of the moon in their main machine shop. Made from Styrofoam it was built to allow the astronauts to practice landing and it provided an optically perfect landing mock-up. I also heard that NASA also developed a film from the model landing that they planned to switch to if there was a problem during the live broadcast. It seems that they would never allow the public to view an accident and had planned for an alternative broadcast.

Over ten years I also heard lots of other things that they planned, nothing official but all the stories were from NASA employees so there was some substance it would seem. I can't prove whether we landed on the moon but I personally believe it is true...but I am skeptical concerning NASA Press Releases, make that any Government Press Releases especially the military and intelligence agencies who have a track record of bending the truth.

Earl Reid
07-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Sounds like the guy I worked with several years ago. He said all the space flights were a big hoax. But then he also was the guy that insisted that he could air condition his house by putting a fan in a refrigirator with the door open.
Earl

Martin Shupe
07-21-2004, 11:00 PM
So I guess if it was all a hoax, then the Apollo 13 near disaster was also staged for public consumption?

No I don't buy any of it. I was 8 years old when we landed, yes landed, on the moon. I saw Apollo 11 launch from a distance. I saw Apollo 12 fully ready to go, and the third stage of 13 in the production building. I have seen moon rocks up close in museums, and yes, my parents woke me up in the middle of the night to watch Neil and Buzz go for a walk on the moon.

I have talked to Navy men who participated in the recovery of the astronauts. James Lovell was the guest speaker at my Eagle Scout Banquet in Houston in 1975, where he was awarded the Silver Eagle Award. I have talked at length with Gus Grissom's son Scott, a DC-10 Captain at FedEx. I took a 737 type rating class with two Shuttle Pilots. In my opinion, the people who would produce a documentary that says we didn't land on the moon must have a deep hatred for the United States and all that it stands for. Of course, people will do anything if they think it will make money.

We landed on the moon, not once, but several times, and future astronauts will no doubt one day see the proof we left behind.

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm with Martin on this one!! It was an exciting time for me and I often dreamed of doing the same thing. Of course, the only "space" I get to enjoy in person is what's between my ears... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2004, 11:49 PM
While my youngest son was on a medical hold in Navy flight school, he had the opportunity to chauffer one of the original astronauts for a week. He said he thought the guy was trustworthy! :confused:

Donnie Raines
07-22-2004, 8:43 AM
The naysayers did not speak about the laser beam measureing system in place.

This show was, surprisingly, on the National Geographic Channel.....and that seemed trustworthy.... :rolleyes:

I enjoy shows like this....becuase you can make your own mind up. I feel that we, clearly, went there. I wish I could go, hang out and take in the scene........oh we can all be dreamers... ;) :rolleyes:

Ken Salisbury
07-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I was watching a show last night that explored the idea that the manned missions to the moon were all staged by NASA. Those that felt it was indeed a hoax had some very interesting viewpoints on why they felt this way. Then of coarse you had those that assure us that we did indeed land on the lunar surface.

I can't believe what I am reading in this thread ! ! ! !

I can assure you from my own experiences - we did indeed do it.

I spent the majority of my engineering career working on the space program beginning in 1960. I worked at a secret enviornmental test facility testing all types of rocket engines/solid fuels, space hardware, etc until 1965 when I came to Huntsville Alabama to work for IBM on the Space Program as a system test engineer. I had the pleasure of working on ALL of the manned Apollo missions, of course including Apollo 11.

I had the pleasure of meeting Neil Armstrong on February 5, 1973 and he gave me his personal assurance that he truely walked on the moon.:) .

Two of the items I treasure most are the set of "original" NASA Astronaut Patches from the manned Apollo missions which is proudly displayed in my home along with a brushed aluminum plaque given to me by IBM for my contribution to the Apollo 11 mission. Hard to see in the photo is a Medallion containing metal from the actual Apollo 11 spacecraft which Neil Armstrong autographed for me in 1973.

It was not a "Wag The Dog" scenerio ! ! ! ! !:D :D

Donnie Raines
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Ken,

That is really cool! I never had any doubt that we did....I love everything about space exploration and what we can get out of it. I wish that I had been a little more intelligent when it came to the level of engineering it takes to make things like this happen. I love it...i just dont how it all happens.

Sorry if I gave you the impression I thought it was a hoax. I was simply starting conversation...... :cool:

Keith Outten
07-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Ken,

I think most people really believe we went to the moon, however it is common knowledge that NASA didn't tell the whole truth in many instances. That is enough to warrent questioning the agency.

I have a boat load of patches from working at NASA Langley and spent many hours at Smitty's Better Burger on King Street in Hampton joking with all seven of the original Astronauts when I was a kid. I was riding a bicycle then and took alot of flack from the seven jet jockey's but it was all in fun...they were really nice guys.

There has been several documentaries that explored events when NASA bent the truth. If they had been more honest I expect there wouldn't be anyone who would be questioning their integrity.

Oh, I also was the field QC Inspector on the construction of the Thrust Measuring System, designed and built to test the first Space Shuttle engines. In the early seventies we didn't even know what a Space Shuttle was even though all of our drawings were clearly marked " NASA Space Shuttle".

We could put together a list of projects that the Government has been caught lying to the American public starting with Atomic bomb testing over the whole South East section of the country, the SL1 reactor meltdown, the Thresher Submarine, etc.

Questioning our Government is a healthy thing to do...do any of these jog your memory?

"I cannot tell a lie", was that Neil Armstrong or George Washinton?
"I did not have sex with that woman"
"I am not a crook"
"There are no American Forces in Cambodia"

ROFL

Jack Wood
07-23-2004, 9:33 AM
Grassy Knoll
Lone Gunmen
Roswell NM
Area 51
X Files
Faked Moon landing
ETC ETC ETC
There is a group of people called the "Flat Earth Society" that my Uncle was a member of and I use to hear this line of thought a lot. He also believed in Sasquatch, the "Jersey Devil" and the Louisiana "Bayou monster". I for one can envision a scenario where the Gov't could lie about this or that, but the Moon Landings were such a huge undertaking with 10's of thousands of peolple involved that unless everyone who knew was "Silenced" the truth would have come out by now. I personally know people here in Huntsville Alabama, Marshall Space Flight Center-Where Werner VonBraun planned the moon missions, who worked on and participated in the missions and would have been close enough in to the center of it all to know if it was a lie, and they have NEVER EVER even the least little bit infered that that it was anything but real. I like a good conspiracy as much as the next guy but I'm not the least worried that the Moon Landings were faked.:cool:

Bob Hovde
07-23-2004, 11:26 AM
What I don't understand is how the Wright Brothers pulled off their simulation with the technology at their disposal. Everyone knows that birds fly, men drink!

The problem is that if it's on television or on the Internet, some people really will believe it - or at least part of it. It's part of the human condition, I guess.

Bob