PDA

View Full Version : LV Skew Rabbet Plane

lowell holmes
03-22-2009, 6:42 PM
I bought the planes when they were first introduced. I just had time to spend some time with one today. After adjusting various settings, I proceeded to learn how to use it.

The planes, like other LV planes have side set screws, but on these planes, they are both on one side. After setting the iron flush with the side of the plane, I adjusted the screws to touch the sides of the iron.

The first long grain rebate went well enough. The plane produces fine shavings. But, I was flabbergasted when I started a cross grain rebate on a piece of white pine. The plane produces continous, curly cross grain shavings. Wow! :)

Erik Manchester
03-22-2009, 7:19 PM
I tried one out at a demo and was very impressed with the quality and the ability to make fine adjustments to the blade depth. However, have restored a couple of very nice Stanley 46 plow planes (including a set of new HSS blades) I couldn't justify the purchase for the amount I would use them. While the LV skew rabbet has the desirable ability to do fine blade adjustments that the Stanley 46 doesn't, the Stanley 46 cuts very nice dados, particularly cross-grain.

If I am feeling flush one day I may succumb to temptation, but not soon.

Enjoy your LV skew rabbet and the curly shavings it makes so well.

EM