PDA

View Full Version : New Woodworking Needs Advice on Clamps

Frank Berryman
03-22-2009, 6:02 PM
I am a new woodworker. Like many before me, my first project has been a workbench. I am working on the drawers (22"x24") now. I have my dovetails all cut and am ready to glue them up, so I need to buy some clamps. I like to buy things once. I usually avoid the cheapest and the most expensive. There seem to be a lot of different kinds of clamps. So I am looking for some well made clamps that won't break or break the bank. Any advice? I'm thinking I should start with four. Brand, model and size would be helpful. Thanks.

Wayne Delyea
03-22-2009, 6:05 PM
I watch Rockler and buy from them when they are on sale. Im not sure if its still going on but last week I bought 36" and 24" Jet Clamps for 1/2 off.

Frank Berryman
03-22-2009, 6:09 PM
I watch Rockler and buy from them when they are on sale. Im not sure if its still going on but last week I bought 36" and 24" Jet Clamps for 1/2 off.

Which model do you recommend? The F-style?

Tony Bilello
03-22-2009, 6:29 PM
you will need A LOT of clamps sooner than you think. If I were you, and I was recently when restarting a shop, I would start with the less expensive clamps first. I am an experienced woodworker and I knew what I needed.
Start with the less expensive bar clamps, then get a bunch of 1/2" and 3/4" pipe clamps. No matter what high dollar clamps you ultimately end up purchasing, you will always need the lighter weight bar clamps and pipe clamps also.
You say you have drawers to assemble, figure on 4 clamps per drawer.
That will give you 2 clamps on front and 2 on rear.
Trust me when I say I am not a fan of Harbor Freight but for clamps, they are a good place to start.

Eric Roberge
03-22-2009, 7:12 PM
The F-style are on sale at Rockler right now. 36" (6.49ea) (they are not bad for the $$) 6" SOLD OUT today
Parallel clamps should be on your list soon (Jet, Bessy (or Woodcraft)) If you look at WW shows or keep an eye online you can find a good price. My local Woodcraft store is having a sale in two weeks ...10% off.
Someone here at SMC said that if you hit them on a Saturday they will sometimes sell the ones used in the class at a discount.

I also like the Quick grips from Irwin. Very nice for small projects or for clamping a piece of stock to a bench, etc...

Maybe some pipe clamps? :confused:

My 2c...for drawers I would get some parallel clamps to start 30's or 40's. That being said, I would also order some of the 36" F-styles while they are on sale.
Bessy and Jet are lifetime warranty

E-

Myk Rian
03-22-2009, 7:16 PM
I like the Jorgensen bar clamps at the HoPo over the Jet bar clamps. The Jet clamp bars bend when you apply pressure and the threads aren't as meaty.

ACO hardware carries MIT clamps. Not bad for the price and a heck of a lot cheaper than the Irwins.

Paul Steiner
03-22-2009, 7:36 PM
You have 2 inexpensive options. One is to pick up a set of Pick up a set of F-style clamps like columbians even bessey's. I think a set of 15 is about $30. Good clamps for the price but they could be better, they do not sit up right on a table.

The other is a set of HF pipe clamps. These will sit upright on a table and I would put them up against any name brand pipe clamp.

Neither of these can hold a candle to so of the nicer bessey's or Jorgensens or irwins.
The inexpensive ones will probably hold you until you shop around and find deals on nice clamps. And you will need alot of clamps in the future.

Frank Berryman
03-22-2009, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Between Lowes, Home Depot and Woodcraft I think I'll be able to pick something up tomorrow. I don't want to wait a week for them to be shipped mail order.

Tony Bilello
03-22-2009, 9:12 PM
Right on, brother.

John Schreiber
03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I usually like cheap, but I don't go cheap on clamps. When you are in the middle of a glue up, the last thing you need is a clamp slipping unexpectedly.

The parallel clamps are very nice and if you are gluing up a workbench top, I'd start with those and supplement with pipe clamps and bar clamps.

Paul Ryan
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Frank,

No matter what you end up with now, keep on the look out for some parallel clamps. This past winter when the bessy's were on clearance and close out I stocked up. I bought a lot of clamps, thinking I had enought I quit. As it turned out I could have used a few more. The bessys are real nice but any parallel clamp will be. I hade been using pipe clamps for a while. They work for clamping up projects and so on. But I hate using them for glueing up panels because it doesn't take much for them to bow. You can never have to many clamps of any type.

Jack Ellis
03-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Another place to look for clamps is on Craigslist. Most of my clamps (and most of my tools) are recycled. If you can't wait, F-clamps from HF will be fine. However I really like HF's aluminum bar clamps for all sorts of projects, including drawers and panels.

Some posters with far more experience than I suggested you watch out for bar clamps that have a tendency to bend. I'm of the opinion that in most instances, if you're applying enough pressure to bend the bars, you're applying far more pressure than you should. Really tight clamps squeeze out too much glue.

Eric Roberge
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Myk,
The Jets bend?:confused: Are you talking about the F style or the parallel?
The F's I can see bending, but the parallels are rock solid just like the Bessey's. No flex in mine.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2009, 9:25 AM
I started out using pipe clamps, and slowly switched to Bessey K bodies.

Well worth the money in my opinion.........Rod.

Doug Shepard
03-23-2009, 9:39 AM
In addition to whatever standard clamps you get I'd also get couplle of handscrew type clamps. There a lots of uses for them that other types dont do well. One example is for holding smaller work while feeding past a router table bit. They also wont mar the wood like some other types can if overtightened.

jason tuck
03-23-2009, 1:08 PM
When i needed a lot of clamps in a hurry, I went to Lowes and bought (12) Bessey 3/4" pipe clamp for $15 or so each. Then bought (6) 60" threaded-on-both-ends black iron pipe for around $8 each, cut each one of them half, and had (12) 30" clamps for roughly $230 before tax.

I just didnt want to spend $30 a clamp on K bodies at the time. I prefer the Bessey pipe clamps because they already have a pad on them and the built in feet keep it standing up right. I saw $12 clamps at Woodcraft, but they needed the combo pad/feet thingies for an additional $5 per clamp. Not really a savings there.

Frank Berryman
03-23-2009, 1:17 PM
When i needed a lot of clamps in a hurry, I went to Lowes and bought (12) Bessey 3/4" pipe clamp for $15 or so each. Then bought (6) 60" threaded-on-both-ends black iron pipe for around $8 each, cut each one of them half, and had (12) 30" clamps for roughly $230 before tax.

How did you cut the black iron pipe?

Andrew Joiner
03-23-2009, 1:44 PM
Like most things in woodworking we all have our own way of looking at a "Method of Work"

For cheap I like rubber inner tube straps. Once I clamped a bunch of columns this way. Just wrap tight. Tape works to clamp some miters. For big mitered plywood cubes I used lot's of webbing band clamps.

I started with wood hand screws, c- clamps and 1/2" pipe clamps. For pipe clamps get the multiple-disc clutch type. The cheaper single lever type need more fiddling.

I still reach for 1/2" pipe clamps and hand screws the most. I haven't tried any parallel jaw(K-body) yet as I don't see why it could any better job.

Chris Tsutsui
03-23-2009, 2:31 PM
How did you cut the black iron pipe?

Lowes and Home depot will cut black iron pipe and thread it free of charge.

At lowes, you should buy the contractor pack that's 10' long for a savings, then cut it to size or use adapters to connect two smaller sections for large glue ups.

I bought some HF 3/4" pipe clamps and got iron pipe from lowes. They work great together.

Eric DeSilva
03-23-2009, 2:40 PM
Another place to look for clamps is on Craigslist.

+1

I got all of my Bessey K bodies on CL for very cheap, although that doesn't help if you need 'em for a glue up now. I've also picked up a few of the Jet K body clones and, frankly, like those a lot better. Haven't tried the redesigned K bodies.

Darius Ferlas
03-23-2009, 2:50 PM
I got a 6 K-body Bessey clamps, a dozen+ of F-clamps various sizes, 6 quick clamps and a bunch of C-clamps. I find the C-clamps least useful and I reach for my F clamps most of the time.

K-clamps are great but now I think regret not having spent that money on 3 times as many F-Clamps.

Pricewise, if you live close to Canada, Canadian Tire has sales on clamps every now an then. I paid from $5 for 8" to $11 CDN for 32" F-Clamps of decent quality.

Mick Zelaska
03-23-2009, 3:00 PM
While you're checking all the good info others have given you about what clamps to look at, don't overlook Kreg components to turn your workbench into a clamping table similar to the one Kreg sells. I inlaid 2 Kreg clamping traks and several insert plates around my existing workbench and made my woodworking life 100% easier. IMHO, installing these items in you exisiting workbench makes for better utility at a lot less cost.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148164&FamilyID=20269

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149091&FamilyID=4770

glenn bradley
03-23-2009, 3:19 PM
I have a lot of Jorgie (and off brand) f-style clamps in various sizes. They do get used by not near as much as my Bessy K-body and Uni-clamp styles. I have over a dozen pipe clamps that have been hanging on the same rack for almost 2 years. When you need them, they are the best but for me most of the time, they are stored.

In general I would say in order of frequency of use (meaning any time I grab one) I would say:

Bessy mighty-mini
4" and 6" f-style
18" - 24" Uni or K-body
6" Irwin Quick Grips
Larger Quick Grips
Longer K-body
Large f-style

Your mileage will most certainly vary.

Brad Clarkston
03-23-2009, 4:01 PM
I signed up for Peachtree's free Friday sale e-mail and buy the Parallel Pro Clamp (http://www.ptreeusa.com/barClamps.htm) when they are on sale.
While I usually only look for clamps I've found hey have great end of week sales on lots of stuff.

- Brad

Wilbur Pan
03-23-2009, 5:08 PM
If you are going to get F-clamps (and I know you will), you won't find a better clamp than Wetzler's (www.wetzler.com). Not only can you get these clamps in whatever length you want, you can get them in whatever depth you want. I've picked up an assortment of these clamps, all with a 4" reach, and I'm constantly amazed how often that extra reach comes in handy.

They are built like a tank. The heads are shaped so you can put them on their head once the glue up is done, and they will stay put. Also, they don't rely on that tab-clutch mechanism to keep the jaws in place. They are manufactured so that all you have to do is slide the jaw to where you want it, and it stays.

Here's a pair of action shots:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SWy0WH1ernI/AAAAAAAAAV8/gwPzcSBWTKc/s400/IMG_7646.JPG http://lh6.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SXU4D3vpoZI/AAAAAAAAAXI/aztaLhfXeeM/s400/IMG_7675.JPG

Prashun Patel
03-23-2009, 5:18 PM
I get flak for this, but I've never regretted dropping $20-30 on a set of 6 el-cheapo F-clamps from ebay. They're no substitute for the beefier pricier k-body style clamps, but they're low profile, and a great supplement to your arsenal. I reach for my 12" all the time for everything from holding jigs in place to supplementing long glueups.

I like them in lengths under 24". Longer than that, they start to flex. Also, they're harder to wrestle with on wider glueups than pipe clamps or kbodys that can be laid on their backs.

Eric Roberge
03-23-2009, 5:18 PM
I signed up for Peachtree's free Friday sale e-mail and buy the Parallel Pro Clamp (http://www.ptreeusa.com/barClamps.htm) when they are on sale.
While I usually only look for clamps I've found hey have great end of week sales on lots of stuff.

- Brad
I got to handle these clamps from PT this weekend. I was not all that impressed.
Two handed operation to open the jaws, the threads were not a beefy as the Bessey's and no warranty(to my knowledge)
They might be good for light duty, but I would question longevity.:confused: MHO

Bottom line: Get what you think you need and what feels right to you. You'll know it in your heart when you pick up that clamp and a jolt of excitement runs through you.... Sorry, I went a little off topic there. You know what I mean:p

Andrew Joiner
03-23-2009, 6:24 PM
These are an amazing value. http://www.grizzly.com/products/36-Heavy-Duty-F-Clamps/H2621They are holding up well. Similar to the Wetzler's.

Vic Damone
03-24-2009, 4:21 AM
+1 Wilbur.

My father picked up a collection of Wetzler F style clamps at an estate sale in the early fifties. Some of them are very old yet they still work great. They've since been handed down to me in the mid seventies and I've been adding to the collection. I've never seen them on sale and I guess there not that economical. You should treat yourself and get at least two Wetzlers. I think the company was sold some years back but the quality IMO is as good or better.

I also have a set of Jet parallels that seems to be growing. I was given a set of twelve 3/4" pipe clamps which for my needs are worthless. Doing a wide glue up I was unable to control the pipes tendency to bow and distorting the glue up. I stopped the glue up and sent away for six long Wetzlers.

I'm sure there are other F style bar clamps that cost less and do just as well.

Brad Clarkston
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I got to handle these clamps from PT this weekend. I was not all that impressed.
Two handed operation to open the jaws, the threads were not a beefy as the Bessey's and no warranty(to my knowledge)
They might be good for light duty, but I would question longevity.:confused: MHO

Bottom line: Get what you think you need and what feels right to you. You'll know it in your heart when you pick up that clamp and a jolt of excitement runs through you.... Sorry, I went a little off topic there. You know what I mean:p

Your correct there not Bessey's but there also not priced as a Bessy and when there 50% off or buy one get one free it's an ok buy if your on a budget like me.

I haven't had any problems opening or closing the jaws but that might be me. The biggest issue I have with them is the pads are rubber and will leave oil on the wood if you do not use a peace of scrap between the project and clamp heads.

- Brad

Frank Berryman
03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, I ended up going with four Jorgensen 36" heavy-duty bar clamps from Home Depot (HoPo?). They were only $3.00 more a piece than the light-weight ones. Although they were longer than I needed for the drawer glue up, since I think my first furniture project will be a 60"x30" Mission library table, I know I will need the extra length and weight to glue up the board for the top. By the way, will four clamps be enough to glue up 60" length boards or should I count on having to "invest" in more?

John Schreiber
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, I ended up going with four Jorgensen 36" heavy-duty bar clamps from Home Depot (HoPo?). They were only $3.00 more a piece than the light-weight ones. Although they were longer than I needed for the drawer glue up, since I think my first furniture project will be a 60"x30" Mission library table, I know I will need the extra length and weight to glue up the board for the top.
Those will serve you well, but you will find that there are many different kinds of clamps for many different uses.

By the way, will four clamps be enough to glue up 60" length boards or should I count on having to "invest" in more?
I think there will be many opinions on this, but I would say that four is not enough. Following the instructions from the glue companies, you would need at least nine so that there's one every six inches. Many people have gotten away with less and been successful though. I don't think I'd try it with less than six. And, I'd make at least two of them parallel clamps. They just make it easier to keep everything straight during a glue up.

On a related note, you may want to look for a slow setting glue and/or a helper during the glue up.

Prashun Patel
03-24-2009, 1:37 PM
You should make some good clamping cauls for long glueups. Basically, they're batten strips of thick hardwood that are slightly convex. They distribute pressure evenly along their length. They also protect the edges (F clamps deliver a lot of force in a small area).

Also, think about some face clamps or c clamps or 6-12" F clamps to align the two board faces when you glue them up. You can use cauls for aligning the centers of the boards. Recently, I've discovered the easiest way to do this is with dowels or biscuits (provided you have a good jig or b-joiner).

If you have a pockethole jig, you can also use them in lieu of clamps altogether for glueups. Works like a champ, but if you're averse to metal in yr projects, then it's a no-go.