PDA

View Full Version : Metal Blanks ?

Angus Hines
03-22-2009, 6:02 PM
So I need to cut a bunch of different size blanks from 24"x36" sheets of 20 Ga. StainLess Steel. Thus my new need for a small shear of some sort. It has to cut very clean without rolling the edges ect.

I was thinking about on of these 2 items I saw on eBay

Item number: 120395186522

OR

Item number: 260380181094

Dont know which maybe better or if there is a better idea out there.

Mark Sipes
03-22-2009, 7:01 PM
You state that your material size is 24 x 36 did not mention how you are going to cut the material size down to 18/12" sheets.. since neither of the two shears you are looking at have ruler/straight edge guides... is squareness of the cut material important?

Ebay item 250392863657
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif
is a large table shear.

http://www.accucutter.com/3001.htm

Mark

Angus Hines
03-22-2009, 7:08 PM
Yes squareness is important thanks for pointing out the missing items and size problem. I'll also see if I can get the material in a different size, since its customer supplied.

Scott Shepherd
03-22-2009, 7:10 PM
Angus, you dead set on doing them yourself? If not, draw them up, export them and send them to a shop with a laser. You're right in the middle of a great area for people with metal cutting lasers, with the shipyard close by.

No rolled edges and if done right, it'll hardly even be a burr.

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2009, 7:22 PM
For thin metal it's easiest to just job it to a sheet metal shop. Most any heating/AC place has one. The guys I use charge very little. It would take several years for me to spend enough to justify buying a shear.

Mike Null
03-23-2009, 6:56 AM
I'd do what Joe is suggesting. Otherwise see if you can find a 36" used shear. It'll probably weigh a 1000 pounds but will handle stainless steel.

will bohn
03-23-2009, 7:43 AM
Angus,
Send me a PM with your specs and I will be glad to quote them for you laser cut of course.

Thanks,

Will

Scott T Smith
03-23-2009, 8:39 AM
Angus, I've had a couple of shears, and second the recommendation to have your blanks cut out with a laser. Stainless is pretty hard material and more challenging to shear cleanly than either aluminum or sheet metal. A laser will leave much cleaner edges than a plasma cutter too.

Shears usually fall into two categories - high quality commercial ones or inexpensive imported ones. They are priced accordingly.

As far as alignment is concerned, I simply clamp a guide down on the shear table on an as-needed basis. Works fine for me.

Dave Johnson29
03-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes squareness is important thanks for pointing out the missing items and size problem. I'll also see if I can get the material in a different size, since its customer supplied.

Angus,

I am with Joe and Mike with getting them cut locally. I use Industrial Metal Supply in Phx and they have CNC shears costing a few hundred thousand dollars that do an excellent job for about a buck a piece. I get 1/16" thick, 6061 aluminum blanks 3" x 4" for a $1.10 each. Perfect size and squareness and nice clean edges. Cannot beat it.

If you are still hell bent on getting a shear then a good used one is the way to go. Before you hand over the cash please post the name and model of it here for comment as there are good ones and not so good ones.

If the customer is supplying the material, could they cut it for you?

Mark Winlund
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I might point out that SS is very hard on a shear. The sharp edges on the shear wear out very quickly when doing SS. Then you get large burrs on your brass and aluminum. Unless you are prepared to have a dedicated shear for SS, you will regret it.

Mark

Richard Rumancik
03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a 6" Di-Acro hand notcher which is a fairly good quality shear. But cutting stainless steel even in 3-4" widths is practically impossible. I don't attempt it anymore. You would need a lot of tonnage for wide sheets.

Angus Hines
03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks everybody once again the creek came to my rescue.....Will PM sent.