PDA

View Full Version : Padding Shellac

Mark Kelly
07-21-2004, 3:24 PM
Yesterday evening, I did some "test" finishing work by padding shellac on a big piece of maple ply. After hearing about it here, I read up on padding shellac in a few books and internet searches. However, I think I did something wrong.

I padded on the shellac (btw, it is waxed shellac (Zinsser), pre mixed as some recently purchased flakes are in the mail) in circular motions. however, this left a lot of high spots of finish on the surface. I can think of a few reasons, but they may not be right:

1) The cut is too thick (I think it is a 3lb. cut).

2) There is way too much shellac in the pad.

3) I should have padded in a straight direction, instead of circles.

Any ideas why I am not getting a smooth finish?

Teresa Jones
07-21-2004, 3:30 PM
Mark,

I am by no means an expert, but I was taught to use a 1 to 2 pound cut and to apply by mimicking an airplance landing and taking off straight across the board with the grain.

Hope it works out for you.

TJ

Jack Hogoboom
07-21-2004, 3:49 PM
I agree with Teresa. Also, I was taught to put a drop or two of mineral oil on the pad as that helps the pad move smoothly across the surface. At the end, you use a little alcohol on a fresh pad to "spirit off" the oil.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Donnie Raines
07-21-2004, 3:58 PM
Take a look at the Link below....if you do not see your answer there, e-mail Steve directly and he will respond back.

http://www.johnjacobmickley.net/Shop%20Pages/Finishing%20Frame.htm

Steve Evans
07-21-2004, 6:21 PM
I also agree with points 1 and 3 in my very limited experience