PDA

View Full Version : ridgid screw gun

Howard Phillips
03-22-2009, 4:46 PM
Hello all!

I'm thinking about picking up this (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100646510&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=1319015&cm_mmc=CJ-_-shopping_com-_-D25X-_-100646510&cpncode=24-29014785-2&URL=http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BuildLinkToHomeDepot?linktype=product&id=100646510&cm_mmc=CJ-_-shopping_com-_-D25X-_-100646510&AID=10368321&cj=true&srccode=cii_13736960) for decking and fences (I know it's typically for drywall...but ACQ compatible screws are apparently available) and a free hand would be great for work. The reason I'm looking at this over the other self-feed drivers is I have a gift certificate and I like Ridgid's warranty.

Two questions:

1) Any reviews, thoughts or input?

2) Any good sources for fasteners? The BORG doesn't carry the 3" screws and I'm having trouble finding them online. As I'm a Canuck, any Canadian sources would be great, bt all input is appreciated.

Von Bickley
03-22-2009, 5:44 PM
For fences and decks, I think you will be much happier with a good impact drivers. Rigid makes a impact driver that has recieved pretty good ratings for about the same amount you are planning on spending.

Just my opinion...... :)

Howard Phillips
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Vic, I appreciate it. I've got a few of the impact drivers and love them (my preference is Hitachi).

Why I'm looking at these is they are much quicker for doing decking or fence boards. I've used the Quik-drive system and it works well, but haven't heard much about the Rigid. A down side is that it doesn;t have the extension like the other drivers do.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
This gun will not handle anything over 2" screws...not exactly suitable for decking. It is the knock off of the Senco Duraspin [also made by the same company]. Ideally you want at least 2.5" screws for 5/4" decknig and 3" screws for anything thicker.

Joe Von Kaenel
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Howard,

I have a Ridgid 14.4 Volt impact driver. It will easily Drive 2 1/2 inch screws. The Caveat is: The battery will not last all day. I just keep one in the tool and one battery in the charger and change out batteries. I would recommend using star head or square head deck screws the Phillips head screws are easy to strip.

Joe

Howard Phillips
03-24-2009, 1:18 AM
The model I posted accepts 3-inch screws (although I question the batteriy's ability to drive multiple screws without charging constantly).

Impact drivers are great (again, I have several I use everyday. However, I'm considering the self-feed options now.

Thanks to all!

Ray Dockrey
03-24-2009, 8:47 AM
We have the corded version of the screwgun. My Dad decided he needed one even though we don't have a whole lot of sheetrock to hang. We have used it quite a bit so far and it is very good. It will drive screws as fast as you can put them in. They are the same thing as the Senco and I have seen some of the Senco's on clearance at Home Depot. I know this doesn't apply to the way you want to use it but I thought I would at least give you some feedback on the driver.