PDA

View Full Version : Eeeek Laser Down

Dave Russell Smith
03-22-2009, 4:26 PM
Starting doing some work on a piece of wood and everything was going good, then the laser head flew up to the right of the machine with a loud bang :eek: now the drive belt is lose in the I-beam, is there a tensioner on this belt or is something else gone wrong. The head went back to the home position but the belt is hanging out like a dogs tongue :rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2009, 4:45 PM
I have used an EXT a few times but don't have one here to look at. I do remember that was laid out different, in fact was a dual head.

On my legend there is a tensioner, located under the x bar cover on the right end, next to the x motor. If it jumps that the belt would be loose but not stick out like a tongue. More likely it pulled out from the end, under the head where it's anchored by 2 screws holding a flat piece of brass that clamp it tight. If you can post pictures someone might be able to help, even if no one with the same machine is online. Possible causes are bad position sensor ribbon cable, the little position sensor electronic board, or the x motor itself.

I have replaced mine twice. The first time the shaft bearing was worn out, then the replacement came with improved reinforcement to hold it straight but turned out to be defective from the factory.

Peck Sidara
03-22-2009, 5:40 PM
Dave,

With the machine turned off, open the large door and remove the right side panel of the machine. With the main lid open, remove the I-beam cover (blue cover about 6-8 phillips head screws).

With these covers removed and main lid open, you'll see where the x-belt tensioner is located on the far right side. It's spring loaded and should have a pivoting arm (Philips head screw, loosen and it should self adjust). Once it self adjusts, check the belt tension before tightening the screw back up. If it appears too loose, adjust the pivoting arm manually then tighten the screw.

Once the belt is re-adjusted, clean the x-axis encoder strip using a cotton swab and some distilled water/mild detergent cleaner. Basic instructions located here http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_linearencoder.htm
Brand new machine so it's not likely dirty but you never know so might as well clean it while you're in there.

When putting the blue cover back on, allow some spacing between the holes/gaps where the screws go in so that nothing rubs.

That should take care of it for now, call tech support in the morning to see if there's anything I'm missing and to further diagnose if you continue to have difficulty.

Dave Russell Smith
03-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the Heads up Peck, everything is running again but I will check in with tech support tomorrow :)