PDA

View Full Version : First re-saw

Marc Casebolt
03-22-2009, 4:05 PM
Neander that is,

I sold a 20" Agazzani to do this???

Actually this was a gas. I was not at all sure how this would come out, but I made me a frame saw (fun, and not hard at all), sharpened the blade (the second time I've done this), and went after a 3 3/4" X 40"X 8/4 chunk of cherry.

The first pics show the saw and how well it followed the line. I started the cut, and it just went like butter, right down the line like I knew what I was doing, flipping the board every 3" of cut or so. At this point I'm feeling like a natural genius, but it didn't last.

Half way through the cut I flipped the board to start from the other end. It was either that, or get longer arms because of the way I had it set up. I did the exact same thing on the other end to start the cut, but that saw suddenly developed a mind of its own. Right away it went off the line, and I found out that you can not (or at least I can not) turn that thin 1 1/2" wide blade in the cut. Flip it over, try from the other side, no luck same thing. But I was so good at this just two minutes ago! I had by now cut about three inches. Three very ugly inches. I finally took my Disston D12 rip saw and very carefully cut a wider kerf, on the line, that I could maneuver the frame saw blade in, and then it made the rest of the cut without further foul language needed (I want to appologise to the kids next door).

Total elapsed time: about 1 hour.

Marc

dan grant
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
very cool,

John Schreiber
03-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Neat.

What would have happened if you didn't flip it every three inches, did it want to go off in one direction?

What do you think went wrong when you cut from the other side?

Mark Singer
03-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Never sell a 20" Aggazani!:rolleyes:

Bob Easton
03-23-2009, 6:24 AM
Very nice work Marc! Success is always so enjoyable, isn't it?!

That's a great looking frame saw. What did you use for a blade?

I've done a bit of resawing too: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/?p=475

Marc Casebolt
03-23-2009, 4:10 PM
Never sell a 20" Aggazani!:rolleyes:

Amen brother! But those things take up too much real estate for my tiny new shop.

Bob, the blade came from Highland Hardware for about 10 bucks. It was so dull when I got it that it actually cut better in reverse than forward. A short time with a file fixed that right up.

John, The saw was tracking perfectly at first, so turning it every 3" just seemed to make the cutting go faster. I was cutting on the pull stroke standing at the end of the board, so the top of the cut would get ahead of the bottom so I flipped it over to keep it as even as I could. As far as what went wrong, I think that I got in a hurry and simply did not get the cut started straight. Once that thin blade gets into the wood it just wants to keep going in that direction.

Marc

Larry Fox
03-23-2009, 5:13 PM
WOW - that is hard core. Nicely done. How thin do you think you could go? Veneer?

Marc Casebolt
03-23-2009, 6:04 PM
Larry,

The title of this thread is "first resaw". I think I got a bit lucky on this first attempt, however I'm sure that with lots of practice you could get thin enough for veneer (lots of work though). The real surprise for me was just how smooth the cut is. The surface left by this saw is way smoother that I ever got with a band saw. Except for a bit of wavyness at one end, it will take very little effort to flatten and smooth the faces.

Marc