PDA

View Full Version : centering template guides on Bosch router

Lynn Kasdorf
03-18-2003, 12:37 PM
I have a Bosch 1613 EVSA (I think that is the number) and love it.

There is something I have never quite grokked about it though. I have the snap-in adapter to allow use of Porter-Cable style guides, and it works fine. I have the alignment tool that you mount in the collet and lower into the guide in order to make it concentric.

What I don't get, is how are you supposed to lock it in place, once you get it aligned??

There is some slop in the bosch snap-in style adaptor, and some slop in the screw-on PC guide. To lock the PC guide, I can just tighten the brass collar to lock it to the adaptor. How am I suppose to lock the adapter to teh router base though?

I suspect I'd have the same problem if I was using bosch snap-in guides, instead of an adpator and PC guides. I can get them aligned but not locked.

One thought I had is using the spring loaded release lever that released the bosch guides. Maybe you are suppose to push it the opposite way to tighten?

The Bosch rep at a recent ww show pointed to two little holes in the base and said there are screws to let you tighten the guide. On my router, I have threaded holes that just go through the base, and don't touch the guide at all.

Help!

Perry Schmidt
03-18-2003, 12:58 PM
I have the same (similar??) router. Just got it so I haven't actually used the centering 'thing', but from the manual it implies that you use the pan-head screws to mount the black plastic base plate. These are flat and therefore have just a bit of play for the plastic base plate when loose. You put in the guide, centering post, loosen the pan-head screws, the play in the base plate will allow you to center the guide, then tighten down the screws when it's centered. The pan-head screws won't shift the base out of position like the flat-head screws will when you tighten them.

I don't know about you but I got both the flat-head and pan-head screws w/ mine, and there is different holes for both in the base plate.

Having never tried it (yet) don't know if/how well that works, but that's what I got from my User Manual.

Hope that helps.

Perry

Ted Shrader
03-18-2003, 1:33 PM
Lynn -

Don't have the Bosch snap-in adapter, but instead a home-made plate. What I did:

I drilled the hole for the Porter-Cable guide bushings first. Hole sized as tight as I could get it to eliminate play from the bushing moving in the base. Then centered the whole thing on the router and measured and marked the holes. Drilled and countersunk the holes for flat head screws. That way, when I replace the base each time, it is centered.

You might consider re-drilling new holes in the base that do not allow play in the base. Then tighten the PC bushing so it is centered.

I don't have the base on that router very much because the center hole is so small. Only when cutting something with a jig. So it is real handy to know it will go on easily and be centered.

Regards,
Ted

Lynn Kasdorf
03-18-2003, 2:14 PM
I like that- for the few times i use a guide, just swap in a special base.

Thanks for the idea.

Jeff Watson
03-18-2003, 3:46 PM
Lynn,

I don't know if this will help but I will throw in my .02 cents. I have the PC adapter for the bosch 1618. I assume it is similar. I have used it a few times. It took me a little while to figure out the thing. When you place the adapter in the spring loaded mechinism you have to slid the lever over, drop the adapter on the two slots and let the lever spring back to lock the adapter. At first I was putting the adapter in and then trying to slid the adapter back to lock it and it wouldn't hold.

Regards

Jeff W.