PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

Jarrod McGehee
03-22-2009, 3:37 PM
So yesterday I went to the local turners club meeting for the first time since I got the time and chance to go. The speaker taught how to chase threads for boxes and stuff and how to do some things with the skew and being a beginner I picked up a lot of new things. I didn't win anything in the raffle but maybe next time. I bought and got some wood and that was pretty sweet!

I got carob, red and yellow mesquite, some pear, and a eucalyptus piece that would make a nice HF when I eventually learn how. I also got some wood in the mail from a fellow Creeker in Nor Cal and I got a sweet cherry bowl blank, some maple, bottle stopper blanks and a couple cutoffs that will be pretty sweet to work with.

The other day I went to my grandparents and I drove by a house with a HUGE pile of pine so I stopped and asked if I could have some and they said yes but it was too big for my car so I drove the SUV and trailer over yesterday and picked some up. It's Monterey Pine and I got probably 6 or 700# so I can make plenty things with all that.

So now I'm starting to accumulate a pretty nice woodpile :D

pics soon when I take it out of the car and get it all organized.

Kirk Miller
03-22-2009, 3:44 PM
WOW........Sounds like you got quite the haul this weekend Jarrod, although I think pics are in order to make it true......LOL I think I want to join your club, but the commute would probably prove to be too much. Congrats........Now get to work turning and posting pics so we can see.;)

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2009, 4:04 PM
Jarrod - congrats on getting to your first club meeting! Sounds like you had a good time! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

charlie knighton
03-22-2009, 8:46 PM
just think, before you would have just driven by, maybe not even remarked that the wood was free, just keep your eyes open and i am sure you will soon have more wood than you know what to do

you may try to start a notebook and write your impressions of each new wood you turn, just for the first couple years, and update it as you turn more pieces of the same wood and your skills improve

Jarrod McGehee
03-24-2009, 2:41 AM
Charlie you're so right, a couple years ago before I got into wood I just looked right past it. but now, I just dream of cutting trees down to see the beauty in it. it's great. and my friends look at me like I'm whack but it's way worth it.

alex carey
03-24-2009, 2:49 AM
I have a tendency to go up to trees and smell the bark. My friends think there is seriously something wrong with me.

Jeff Nicol
03-24-2009, 8:01 AM
Jarrod, You already are afflicted with the best addiction in the world, the addiction of wood and all that goes with it!! So be prepared for a lifelong love and enjoy every minute you spend on the wood high!! I have had it for over 40 years and I hope another 40!!

Have you got the box I sent you Yet?

Jeff

Jarrod McGehee
03-24-2009, 1:35 PM
No Jeff I didn't get it yet but I got yours boxed up and ready to go this week. I just gotta get the time to take it to UPS

Jarrod McGehee
03-24-2009, 1:37 PM
there is something wrong with you man. me too! and my friends that know me now just disregard it because they've accempted that I'm pretty crazy