PDA

View Full Version : Walnut HF

Curt Fuller
03-22-2009, 1:54 PM
This turning has given me more trouble than any other I can remember. The turning wasn't much different than any other HF but getting a finish and them getting a photo was really hard for me. This started out with a finish I use all the time, Watco Danish Oil and then a couple coats of Deft rattle can lacquer. But for some reason the lacquer orange peeled worse than any I've ever done. It was so bumpy and even that my wife said I should leave it and just say that was the finish I was trying to get. But I didn't like it so I sanded it all off and used some Antique Oil and then buffed it. But I can't get a decent photo with either finish. I just don't savy photographing a dark object. The first pic is with the lacquer, the next two are just the antique oil finish.

Dave Peck
03-22-2009, 2:42 PM
Hi Curt,

Did you have a window or open door behind the camera when you took these pictures. The reflection that is centered on the vessel seems to be coming from above and behind the camera. Block out that source of light and I think you will get a better photo. Otherwise I like your photos.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2009, 2:54 PM
Great looking HF Curt. Form is great. I am not a photographer so can't comment there. I have the same trouble.

Jarrod McGehee
03-22-2009, 3:26 PM
Nice HF I like the shape to it. Good luck getting the finish right.

Kirk Miller
03-22-2009, 3:48 PM
Curt,
I think it looks great. I like the look of both versions. As far a photo taking goes my outlook is this........Its a woodturning website......Do the best you can........then get back to turning...........lol

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 3:53 PM
Curt,
I liked the color with the lacquer better but the finish is obviously much better after stripping it back down. The piece itself is wonderful! Looks like an Elsworth:).

Pete Jordan
03-22-2009, 3:55 PM
Looks great Curt!

Did you leave the lacquer in your studio this winter?

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2009, 4:01 PM
Curt - I actually liked the orange peal effect that you got with the lacquer! If it was uniform in pattern I would have left it! I do like the sanded out finish - so you didn't hurt anything! Amazed at the difference in color between photos #1 & #2. What changed as far as your settings? Photo of the lacquer version has nice color but appears somewhat over exposed. Photos 2 & 3 seem to have a different lighting setup and also seem to be over exposed (washed out).

I like the form on this one! Nice continuous curve! Very nice looking wood! Always a pleasure to see what you come up with next!

Bill Bolen
03-22-2009, 5:42 PM
Love the form of this Kurt. Great swirling grain too!. Sorry about the finish woe's...been there many times myself. ...Bill..

Jim Kountz
03-22-2009, 6:32 PM
Very nice HF. Excellent job!!

Curt Fuller
03-22-2009, 9:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

Hi Curt,

Did you have a window or open door behind the camera when you took these pictures. The reflection that is centered on the vessel seems to be coming from above and behind the camera. Block out that source of light and I think you will get a better photo. Otherwise I like your photos.

Dave

Actually that first picture was taken outside, just before the sun came over the mountain. I was hoping for an overcast day (it was predicted) but when I woke up and saw it was clear I decided to try it before the sun came up. The others are in a light tent, even with the front curtain on, and I tried every light position I could. But I still got a lot of reflections and hot spots. Out of probably 50 pics I would have thought the law of averages would have allowed me to get one good one. But not with this piece.