PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Pics/Negatives

Peter Stahl
07-21-2004, 2:15 PM
Anyone use a scanner for your old pics and negatives? If so, which one do you use? My old UMax didn't do either very well and now it's broke.

thanks. Pete

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 2:19 PM
I just have an inexpensive USB scanner (Cannon) now...previously used an HP ScanJet IIc which took up a big hunk of real estate on the desk. It does the job for scanning prints and other material, although I miss some of the more refined software features that the older SCSI-based unit had. I don't know that it would do well scanning transparencies and negatives, however...

Jack Wood
07-21-2004, 5:17 PM
I recently completed scanning over 1300 family photos, over all I have close to 2000, into my PC using a HP Officejet d135. It is a multi function that works great. One of the features that I really like is that it comes with a document feeder which allows you to put documents with a lot of pages in to the feeder hit go and it does the rest. Most scanners these days will all deliver good quality performance. What makes the difference is the software that you use. I am using Paperport 8 to process my scan and it is one of the best for the buck out there. Ususally the software that comes with the scanner is a basic program with little flexibilty as to what you do with it after the scan. So if all you ned to do is scan in photos and the occasional single page doc then a flatbed will do the job. But if you want to save space and get a few more options such as a document feeder, fax, or copier, the d135 does all, then look at a multifunction. I like HP and have been happy with all that I have purchased from them, but the document feeder was what really sold me on this model. As to negatives well it dosent have a special adapter to do that though I have been able to just lay it on the glass and have it work. Some flatbeds come with an adapter that will let you scan in negatives but I just glanced at them as I needed the doc feeder. Hope this helps!:)

Steven Wilson
07-21-2004, 5:35 PM
Peter,
I've been looking on the net for some time on this and will probably pursue it this fall. My father was an avid photographer as I was, when younger. I'm trying to properly archive and catalog well over 20000 negatives and slides of his an my work. I'm not interested in scanning a bunch of prints (any decent scanner does a fairly good job at this BTW), but am interested in making proof sheets from negatives and slides so I need a scanner without great resolution but with a decent transparancy capacity, and fairly fast. Unfortunately, the units I should really get are around $1000 or so. I do plan on dragging some samples to the various computer stores in the area this fall to see what I can find. One problem is in getting the correct color filters for negatives (i.e. for making positive, digital, proof sheets). Each film emulsion type will need slightly different filters (oh joy). I'm also considering hiring out the analog production of proof sheets from my negatives .

Greg Mann
07-21-2004, 6:54 PM
Peter,
I've been looking on the net for some time on this and will probably pursue it this fall. My father was an avid photographer as I was, when younger. I'm trying to properly archive and catalog well over 20000 negatives and slides of his an my work. I'm not interested in scanning a bunch of prints (any decent scanner does a fairly good job at this BTW), but am interested in making proof sheets from negatives and slides so I need a scanner without great resolution but with a decent transparancy capacity, and fairly fast. Unfortunately, the units I should really get are around $1000 or so. I do plan on dragging some samples to the various computer stores in the area this fall to see what I can find. One problem is in getting the correct color filters for negatives (i.e. for making positive, digital, proof sheets). Each film emulsion type will need slightly different filters (oh joy). I'm also considering hiring out the analog production of proof sheets from my negatives .
Steve,
Once you decide on something let us know how it worked out. I too, have large numbers of slides that would be nice to scan, but it is kind of like weeding the garden, hard to get up the motivation when then mountain is high. Maybe if you tell me how great the results were and how easy it was...:)

Greg