PDA

View Full Version : laser engraving on pyrex

Ian Malings
03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Has anyone had success etching borosilicate glass (pyrex)?

AL Ursich
03-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I believe my Laser Friend Lisa did some, on the bottom....

AL

Stephen Beckham
03-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I've done several for Christmas presents. Doesn't seem to be anyproblems - haven't tried photos, just text. The local ladies use them around here for major cooking events (wedding, death in family, church picnics etc) so that their dish is easily recognizable.

Haven't had anyone complain about weakening of the dish during heating or cooling. But I still have my worries. I etched them at normal glass settings with wet paper towel over them.

Steve Clarkson
03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Steve.....was it a black mark?

Stephen Beckham
03-22-2009, 9:58 PM
No - came out just like regular glass - I gold filled one per request with R&B.

Bill Cunningham
03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
With R&B being a wax base, any news on how it stood up?

Stephen Beckham
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Bill - that one was not intended on being used for cooking - they were giving it to an elderly lady who doesn't cook anymore - they wound up making something to hang it on the wall in her home.

I could only imagine what will happen when it's passed on in the family... Of course, who knows - it might bake it like ceramic paints do when they're fired...

Bill Cunningham
03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Bill - that one was not intended on being used for cooking - they were giving it to an elderly lady who doesn't cook anymore - they wound up making something to hang it on the wall in her home.

I could only imagine what will happen when it's passed on in the family... Of course, who knows - it might bake it like ceramic paints do when they're fired...

Hope so, or someone will be in a lot of doo-doo for ruining the family heirloom:eek:

Ian Malings
03-23-2009, 8:09 PM
thx for the feedback. i am trying on suggested settings w/ 45 watt epilog and i am barely making a dent in it.
thought it was the machine so i tried same settings on regular glass and it worked no problem. i figured it was the pyrex being resistant to the laser...
oh well back to the drawing board.

Dan Cunningham
03-23-2009, 9:16 PM
We are newbies to laser engraving and the "Creek". Really find it to be very helpful so far. My wife and I did several of these cake plates for Christmas gifts. We use a ULS 25E set at 100% Power and 70% Speed at 300 PPI. This was after a couple of attempts that resulted in very deep images (and glass flakes from too much exposure). Finished product had a light image that was very visible. Curious what the result would have been if we had used Cermark Imitation Etch White. Anyone have experience with this? Glass engraving for us requires less power- in the 70% range at the 70% speed.

John W. Love
03-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey Dan, Welcome to the Creek! Always good to have another Texan on board to help fight off all those Yankees (Steve) that hang out here. ;)
What type of laser do you have and what are the specs? Also, do you have any pictures of the cake plates? Would love to see how they came out.

~John and Alicia

Steve Clarkson
03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Hey Dan, Welcome to the Creek! Always good to have another Texan on board to help fight off all those Yankees (Steve) that hang out here. ;)
What type of laser do you have and what are the specs? Also, do you have any pictures of the cake plates? Would love to see how they came out.

~John and Alicia

Thems fight'n words.........