PDA

View Full Version : Sure sign of spring...

Matt Meiser
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I noticed it today while running to Lowes...the local Ice Cream shop is back open!

Neal Clayton
03-22-2009, 3:40 AM
another good sign:

a bird pooped on my helper on friday while he was sitting on a sawhorse outside eating his lunch.

and the funniest thing i saw various and sundry creatures do that day...the biggest bumble bee i've ever seen was hovering in front of the shop checking out all of the sawdust right before the bird pooping incident. a dragonfly happens by and stops to check out the bumble bee. the bumble bee casually spins around like a gunslinger walking out of the saloon, looks at the dragonfly for about 5 seconds, and WHAM, knocks him all the way to the ground. how dare you come near my sawdust!

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 3:41 AM
Sounds like time to fill the hummingbird feeders!

Gary Max
03-22-2009, 5:34 AM
The war against house wrens has started----no I don't want them living on the front porch.

Tim Morton
03-22-2009, 6:15 AM
The local golf course opened saturday:)

David G Baker
03-22-2009, 8:22 AM
Deer flies are a buzzing trying to get the first bite of flesh out of my body for the year. They showed on a near 60 degree day then disappeared.

Glenn Clabo
03-22-2009, 8:30 AM
We have to wait until 1 April...but the golf course are full...the robins are everywhere...and I actually talked to the guy next door without having to shut down the snow thrower. I do hope the grass doesn't need tending for a few more weeks.

Mitchell Andrus
03-22-2009, 8:51 AM
I know it's spring when the squirrels start digging around for their

Hey, this is a family-friendly forum, buddy!!!!!

Tim Morton
03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
and now it is snowing...sure sign its spring in vermont.:mad::mad:

Rich Engelhardt
03-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello,
We have our appointment w/the CPA to have the taxes done....:(

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2009, 1:00 PM
I've never known an ice cream shop that closed for winter, here, and where we came from in CA, they are always open all year.

It may be spring but not many signs of it here yet. At least it hasn't snowed for nearly a week.

David G Baker
03-22-2009, 1:32 PM
Joe,
As far as I know most ice cream shop in Michigan close for the Winter along with many rural drive-inn type food places. Guess they don't have to plow snow in most of California to get to the ice cream shop. :D

Mark Hix
03-22-2009, 3:18 PM
Had to buy a new mower (15 years on the last one!). Cut the grass (weeds) yesterday and potted up 20 flower pots w/ my true love this morning....spring is here! Ready for some iced tea on the back porch now.

Joe Pelonio
03-22-2009, 4:37 PM
Joe,
As far as I know most ice cream shop in Michigan close for the Winter along with many rural drive-inn type food places. Guess they don't have to plow snow in most of California to get to the ice cream shop. :D
Nor here in WA either, most years. The only places I have seen close for the winter are a few of the smaller "Mom & Pop" nurseries, which usually stay open to sell trees and wreaths at Christmas but then close until spring.

Brad Wood
03-22-2009, 8:07 PM
not Spring in SW WA either. 46 degrees right now, was raining earlier The daffodils aren't showing up yet, probably in the next month.

Neal Clayton
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
The war against house wrens has started----no I don't want them living on the front porch.

my solution to that is to have an old clay tile roof with some gaps here and there in the soffits, that way they live in the porch rather than on the porch.

Scott Vigder
03-23-2009, 4:54 AM
another good sign:

the biggest bumble bee i've ever seen was hovering in front of the shop checking out all of the sawdust right before the bird pooping incident. a dragonfly happens by and stops to check out the bumble bee. the bumble bee casually spins around like a gunslinger walking out of the saloon, looks at the dragonfly for about 5 seconds, and WHAM, knocks him all the way to the ground. how dare you come near my sawdust!

Neal:dollars to doughnuts that was no bumblebee. It's a Carpenter Bee, the scourge and nemises of outdoor-wood clad structures. These brutes chew a perfectly round hole into your gazebo/wood siding/deck/you name it; then once they are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in they make a 90 degree turn and tunnel in as far as they deem necessary. The female lays her eggs in the tunnel. Our exterminator sprays a powder into the tunnel then spackles it closed. They may be great engineers, but they weaken wood and cause seriously expensive damage.

I stand guard on our gazebo every spring, into summer, with an old racquetball racket and launch them into oblivion whenever possible. My neighbor has wood shingles and you should see the damage those little demons have done to his house!

They fiercely protect their territory! The males have a small yellow dot on their forehead and will charge at anything that comes near the tunnel-nest area. But there is hope! The males have no stinger, so their bark is much worse than their bite.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2009, 9:14 AM
OK folks, don't yak about spring too much.

You see, I took the cyclinders off Diann's BMW and sent them out for a re-bore. They won't be back for a couple of weeks, and if she realizes it's spring. she'll also realize that my procrastination is costing her riding time.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. It was -6C this morning, going to +4C, spring is on it's way.

Belinda Barfield
03-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Last weekend was my Wild Wacky Wonderful Women Spring Fling 2009! We spent the weekend at Hard Labor Creek State Park in GA. The dogwoods, redbuds, and Bradford Pear trees were all in full bloom. The creek was a little chilly, but I stuck my feet in anyway. Got in a little fishing time, but didn't catch a thing. I also managed to fall into a ditch and earned a new name . . . Princess Muddy Butt.:o

Marty Weatherup
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
It's not spring here in Alaska till a truck goes through the ice on Big Lake.

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Ahhhhhhhh....spring is in the air......time for planning a long motorcycle ride. :D

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2009, 1:41 PM
Maybe spring is here finally, the daffodils have started blooming, and we have that usual Seattle spring light misty rain that lasts hours but you can go out in it and walk miles without getting wet.

Neal Clayton
03-27-2009, 2:18 PM
Neal:dollars to doughnuts that was no bumblebee. It's a Carpenter Bee, the scourge and nemises of outdoor-wood clad structures. These brutes chew a perfectly round hole into your gazebo/wood siding/deck/you name it; then once they are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in they make a 90 degree turn and tunnel in as far as they deem necessary. The female lays her eggs in the tunnel. Our exterminator sprays a powder into the tunnel then spackles it closed. They may be great engineers, but they weaken wood and cause seriously expensive damage.

I stand guard on our gazebo every spring, into summer, with an old racquetball racket and launch them into oblivion whenever possible. My neighbor has wood shingles and you should see the damage those little demons have done to his house!

They fiercely protect their territory! The males have a small yellow dot on their forehead and will charge at anything that comes near the tunnel-nest area. But there is hope! The males have no stinger, so their bark is much worse than their bite.

now that you mention it, i think you're right. they're about bumble bee size but without the yellow stinger, he was all black except for the yellow head.

that explains his fascination with all of the sawdust in the shop, he hangs around out there all day ;).

thankfully i have a stucco house with lead paint still on the joists, soffits, etc, which he doesn't seem to like, anything with lead paint on it he takes a whiff of and moves on to check another spot from my watching him, so i don't think he's found a spot to burrow into yet. he was outside checking out my steel casements on my downstairs sunroom last time i saw him, he struck out there too.