PDA

View Full Version : A little obstacle to work around

Rob Littleton
07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I nearly DIED...........

That is not my hand in the picture, I am up on the roof of the house changing my diaper :-)

Jim Becker
07-21-2004, 12:11 PM
They don't eat much, Rob...at least you can see them better than the little ones! Just out of curiousity, what species is that?

Sam Chambers
07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Rob:

YIKES!!! That alone is good enough reason for me to never move to Arizona!

Gary Whitt
07-21-2004, 12:34 PM
They don't eat much, Rob...at least you can see them better than the little ones! Just out of curiousity, what species is that?
Scaryus spiderous maximus!!!
:eek: :D :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

Byron Trantham
07-21-2004, 12:40 PM
You don't need a lock on your shop. Just post him outside the door!! :D

Chris DeHut
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Like Jim said, at least you can see it. This must be the year of mini-spiders in our shop. I cannot begin to tell you how many little spiders hanging from the ceiling I have walked into face-to-face. I guess I would take the little ones over that monster though.

Chris

Michael Ballent
07-21-2004, 1:00 PM
Oh come on, those little critters mean no harm... Now when you come across a scorpion, rattler, or gila monster that's when you need to get out of the way :D Oh yeah did I mention the black widows :eek:

Rob Littleton
07-21-2004, 1:26 PM

Scaryus spiderous maximus

Says it all Jim.

I have no idea of flavor or name. I didnt hang around long enough for that.

Hey, if I come across a rattler, Im on the first plane outta here :-)

Not really, but............

Jamie Buxton
07-21-2004, 1:50 PM
That's a tarantula. They're neat! They're not dangerous to humans. Most often when you see them out in the open, it is mating season and the males are roaming around looking for females. Have some sympathy!

Jerry Heiser
07-21-2004, 1:51 PM
If I scale the picture up to full size (assuming that is an average adult's hand), that's ONE BIG SPIDER!!!

I'm curious, what did you do with it? Something that big deserves a name and a righftul place in the shop.

Rob Littleton
07-21-2004, 2:58 PM
If I scale the picture up to full size (assuming that is an average adult's hand), that's ONE BIG SPIDER!!!

I'm curious, what did you do with it? Something that big deserves a name and a righftul place in the shop.

The person who's hand that is, is an average adult so you are right, that was huge. Although, to me, any 8 legged creature is huge.

Ever see a 1 pound thing make a 260 pound man run......

He took it to the other side of the yard where there is a wall, and gently placed it in the waste land the other side of the wall.

I know he did this coz I was looking from the window :-)

Sam Chambers
07-21-2004, 3:05 PM
The person who's hand that is, is an average adult so you are right, that was huge. Although, to me, any 8 legged creature is huge.

Ever see a 1 pound thing make a 260 pound man run......

He took it to the other side of the yard where there is a wall, and gently placed it in the waste land the other side of the wall.

I know he did this coz I was looking from the window :-)
A 1 pound spider??? That'd be enough to make this 260 pound man achieve orbit!

markus shaffer
07-21-2004, 4:39 PM
having grown up in the desert of New Mexico, I will admit to having moved quite quickly out of the path of a rattlesnake before..

I don't like spiders, but as long as they keep their distance, we're all fine.. Seal that shop up tight there.. As I understand it, big spiders are quite common out you your way..

Sam Chambers
07-21-2004, 5:29 PM
having grown up in the desert of New Mexico, I will admit to having moved quite quickly out of the path of a rattlesnake before....Yeah, and you live in New York City, where there are rats the size of large housecats! :eek:

I don't like spiders, but as long as they keep their distance, we're all fine.. Seal that shop up tight there.. As I understand it, big spiders are quite common out you your way..Forget sealing the shop...That spider could ring the doorbell and turn the knob on his own! ;)

Doug Littlejohn
07-22-2004, 4:01 PM
Looks alot like the ones we get around here !!, friendly little creatures. Actually, very good in the local environment.

Just ahve to watch, when they jump, it can catch you off guard.

Bob Hovde
07-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, they're big. When I was growing up in San Diego, we were dumb enough to put our hands down and let them crawl up onto us. It was only scary when they jumped.

Bob

Rob Littleton
07-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, they're big. When I was growing up in San Diego, we were dumb enough to put our hands down and let them crawl up onto us. It was only scary when they jumped.

Bob

You are the second person to mention they jump........

Do they actually take off? Like, airborne or a couple of feet or inches or what?

I might have to start carrying a baseball bat in the yard in case they come toward me :-)