PDA

View Full Version : Replacing spring on Jet 14 inch bandsaw

Roger Jensen
03-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi All,

I have a five year old Jet bandsaw (model JWBS-14X) with the quick tension release bar.

About two months ago the nut and threads seized up. I bought a rod, a Carter heavy duty spring, and ratchet from Iturra Design, who seems to be a good company.

I removed the old spring and put in the new one with the new rod, but I seem to have something very wrong. If I have the tension cranked up for 1/2 inch blade it seems OK. However, when I release the tension the blade is still really tight. I've clearly missed something, but the instructions are pretty thin.

I'll call Iturra on Monday, but I'd like to work on it tomorrow. I have searched the web for any basic instructions on how a band saw spring should be installed, and I have reviewed my two bandsaw books (Duginske's and Bird's), but I can't find any instructions on how to do this.

If someone can point me to a web site or has instructions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Michael Wildt
03-22-2009, 3:51 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I found this at Carter products:

http://www.carterproducts.com/support/QR%20Manual.pdf

Roger Jensen
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks Michael. The particular issue I'm struggling with is the built in quick release that comes on that Jet saw. It has two round nuts on it, one that sits on top of the quick release bar and a smaller round nut that is just above the spring. They have allen screws in them so that you can lock them in at specific positions.

I examined one at a store over the weekend and I can't figure out where the put the lower nut so that the spring releases all the way when the lever is released. On my system the quick release isn't releasing all of the spring tension so the blade is still pretty tight (I used to be able to pull the blade off of the wheels when the tension was released).

To make a long story a bit longer, I have decided to replace the built in Jet quick release with the Carter model you identified. I'd rather not spend the $150, but I am tired of the trial and error of setting their lower nut. I think the Carter unit is a better solution anyway so it should be nicer in the long run.

Thanks again,

Roger

lowell holmes
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a crank adjusrment on my Jet (pre-quick release mechanism). I added the spring also. The crank suits my needs and IIRC the cost was $14 from Highland Hardware. I just back it off 6 turns when idle.

Carlos Alden
03-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Roger:

I bought a Jet Bandsaw last December with the quick release. I also found it to be tensioned even when the qr lever is released. I was able to get the blade on and off by working it a bit so this doesn't bother me.

However I also was wondering about setting the proper tension if the base-line "no tension" state was in fact a big snug.

Carlos

Roger Jensen
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Carlos,

I think the smaller diameter nut (inside the quick release bar) is the secret to getting the tension to release completely. Until now I have always been able to remove the blade easily when the tension was released. However, since I had to replace the threaded bar I have to try to use two nuts locked together to recreate that nut, and I got frustrated trying to find the right spot for them. I finally gave up and ordered the Carter quick release bar. There goes $150.

Good luck if you decide to move your smaller lock nut, but be sure you don't adjust it too far so that you can't get it back the way it is now.

Roger