PDA

View Full Version : Frog Adjustment Screw

Jacob Griffith
03-21-2009, 10:44 PM
It looks like a picked up a Stanley No. 8 Jointer Plane (Type 10) that is missing a frog adjustment screw.

Is that something I can pick up at a hardware store? How long should it be?

Thanks

Jim Koepke
03-22-2009, 2:43 AM
It looks like a picked up a Stanley No. 8 Jointer Plane (Type 10) that is missing a frog adjustment screw.

Is that something I can pick up at a hardware store? How long should it be?

Thanks

Stanley and other makers use threads that are not standard, at least not in today's world.

There are two screws, one holds the little plate onto the frog, then there is one with a slot for the plate to sit in that mounts in the base.

In the exploded view at, > http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm#num3 <, the one I am thinking of is #46.

I will look in my shop tomorrow to see if there is a spare if someone closer to you does not beat me to it, and send you a PM if there is one I can send you for the cost of shipping.

jim

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 2:52 AM
Also look on the Bay!

Jim Koepke
03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Jacob, I have sent you a PM.

jim

Jacob Griffith
03-22-2009, 5:02 PM
Hi Jim and Rick

Thanks for the PM's and the offers, but maybe I need to clarify something first....and maybe I have a Type 9.

Anyway, there is only one screw hole on the back of the frog, not on the base of the plane. Is that a 9 or 10? There are two patent dates behind the frog. Thanks for the help.

Ken Garlock
03-22-2009, 5:29 PM
Hi Jacob.

The Stanley Tools company can provide parts for their planes.

For example, take a look here (http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number7usa.html).

Jim Koepke
03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi Jim and Rick

Thanks for the PM's and the offers, but maybe I need to clarify something first....and maybe I have a Type 9.

Anyway, there is only one screw hole on the back of the frog, not on the base of the plane. Is that a 9 or 10? There are two patent dates behind the frog. Thanks for the help.

You likely have what is referred to as a "frankenplane" one made up of parts from more than one type. Pictures would be a big help in determining this. The type 9 & 10 have only the 1902 patent dates. The type 10 includes the frog adjustment screw. There are also some minor changes during this period. That is why pictures would be of help to identify what you actually have. It would be strange, but it could have actually been put together like this at the factory. The same thing happened during WW II. Who knows, maybe the guy that drilled one of the holes was drafted into the war effort.

jim

Jacob Griffith
03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
LOL...Thanks for your help. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I can borrow a digital camera from work.

Jacob Griffith
03-23-2009, 6:40 PM
Here's a couple of pics...the patent dates are Mar-25-02 and Aug 19-02.

Jim Koepke
03-24-2009, 4:04 AM
The frog may have been replaced at one time. The base looks like the rib is arched, that is common on some of the type 9s. The same frog was used from type 10 to type 15, iirc. It should work fine.

jim