PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing wood pics added

John Fricke
03-21-2009, 9:32 PM
I placed an add a couple of weeks ago on my local Craigs List. I have had a lot of response and am going tomorrow to pick up my first pieces.I titled it "Gnarly wood wanted". I placed it in the "Material" section. Here is the add

I am a hobby wood turner looking for material to make bowls. Crotch pieces, burls, lower trunk sections, root balls are all desirable. Basically the more twisted and gnarly it is the better. Must be fairly solid though. Any hard wood species will work. Box Elder, cherry, walnut, oak, fruit trees, etc. I prefer stuff at least 15" in diameter. I have a saw with 24" bar so I can cut some pretty big pieces. If you look at it and think to yourself, " this is gonna be a real pain to split" I'm interested in it. Please email me.

I thought it may be worth a try for some of you having difficulty procuring wood.

Larry Marley
03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Wow John,
thanks for sharing this, pictures to follow...I'm sure...

Larry

Greg Bender
03-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey John, great idea.I would imagine that ad will get some pretty interesting responses.I hope you will post some pix of the pieces you end up with.I might have to try that in my area.Good Luck
Greg

Frank Townend
03-22-2009, 7:28 AM
Well done John, great idea and well written ad.

Toney Robertson
03-22-2009, 9:19 AM
John,

That is a great idea and a well written ad.

Would you mind if someone would use your copy? Not me of course, I am just asking for a friend. :rolleyes:

Toney

John Fricke
03-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Copy and paste away my friend

John Fricke
03-22-2009, 8:06 PM
Ok......I picked up my first wood from my CL advertisement. (pics below) This was just a small crabapple tree a gal wanted cut down because she was tired of the mess it made on her deck. I got a couple of decent crotch pieces from it. There is a pinkish cast to the sap wood, interested to see how it turns. I have arrangements to pick up some Box elder, oak, and Maple next weekend from another response to my ad.