PDA

View Full Version : sharpening & gloat

Marc Casebolt
03-21-2009, 7:03 PM
Been a while since I've posted here, been busy. I have been working on setting up my neander shop after selling off everything I had with a tail. Going from an 1800 sq ft shop to half of a two car garage. Just no room for power tools any more. I am having a blast learning, gathering stuff, and setting up shop.

I got my b-day present early this year, a set of Ashley Iiles bench chisels. Today I sharpened them up, and when I was finished was suprised at how much sharpening equipment I have collected. So I took a picture or two, and decided to hop back in here at the Creek.

It took about 3 hours to get these done. Also included are pics of where they will live on the tool wall (work in progress).

Marc

John Keeton
03-21-2009, 7:25 PM
Mark, I see that you have a shortage of chisels!! Nice looking tool collection going there - looks like some Blue Spruce in the rack?

Marc Casebolt
03-21-2009, 8:15 PM
Thanks John. A lot of these tools are from my other shop, I'm not completely new to hand tools, just new to doing it all with them.

Yes, those are Blue Spruce up there. Great stuff. I've added a bunch of planes, about half of them tuned up so far, to the ones I had, drills, saws, etc. I have a lot to learn, but it's a hobby now instead of a business so I'll take my time and try to get it mostly right. Tons of fun so far.

Marc

Brian Kent
03-21-2009, 8:23 PM
Marc, I hate to tell you this, but your sharpener has a tail on it.;)

Beautiful tools and display for handy usage.

I was working with hand tools only today, but when I was trying to shoot the end-grain of some hickory, I decided I could cheat just a little. That is some tough wood!

Thanks for posting your pics.

Brian

Marc Casebolt
03-21-2009, 8:29 PM
OH MAN....

OK I confess. I use SOME power (did you notice the lathe?). However, the last few thing I've made used no juice at all (do the lights count?).

Like I said, I have a lot to learn.

Marc

Jim Koepke
03-22-2009, 2:33 AM
Interesting method of racking the chisels.

All looks good.

jim

Dewey Torres
03-22-2009, 2:57 AM
Nothing wrong with neander but ai would have kept a few "tails"

good luck!