PDA

View Full Version : My third segmented vessel

Dave Bureau
03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
First, I would like to thank Malcolm Tibbetts for his book and videos on the subject of segmented turning. Using his lessons and design I was able to make this vessel. It is 12" wide x 20" tall. I did not cut off the waste block yet, Total pieces for this project is 1411. The wood used is Bubinga, Wenge, Amarillo, Purple Heart, Zebrawood, Maple, and Tulipwood. I paid more attention to alignment and centering on this project than on the last couple. it took me about a month to complete.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow that is a beautiful piece. Form and finish look great. Well done.

Robert McGowen
03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
That is one of the nicest segmented pieces I have seen here. Quite a work of art. I am sure that you will get a lot of great comments.

I hope that you do not mind me being so forward, but if you are like me, you post to get an honest idea of how your work stacks up to others. My only criticism is that it appears from the photos that there is a slight "shoulder" right at the top of the feature ring that creates more of an angle instead of a flowing curve. It might just be the photos, but I saw that you still had it attached to the glue block, so I did not know if you were planning on doing anything else with it. It looks like you got to the top of the feature ring and started the slope to the neck instead of blending it all together (been there and done that myself :)), but again it could just be the photos or too much coffee from my end. Once again, it is a great looking piece of art as it is.

Alan Trout
03-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Dave, Very Very nice! Well done.

Alan

Brian Effinger
03-21-2009, 1:54 PM
Very impressive Dave. :)

Kirk Miller
03-21-2009, 2:13 PM
Dave what can I say that everyone else hasn't.......Awesome. What type of finish did you use? When are you going to try a real complex segmented piece?.....:D Just kidding with the last question. Beautiful work

Dave Bureau
03-21-2009, 2:29 PM
That is one of the nicest segmented pieces I have seen here. Quite a work of art. I am sure that you will get a lot of great comments.

I hope that you do not mind me being so forward, but if you are like me, you post to get an honest idea of how your work stacks up to others. My only criticism is that it appears from the photos that there is a slight "shoulder" right at the top of the feature ring that creates more of an angle instead of a flowing curve. It might just be the photos, but I saw that you still had it attached to the glue block, so I did not know if you were planning on doing anything else with it. It looks like you got to the top of the feature ring and started the slope to the neck instead of blending it all together (been there and done that myself :)), but again it could just be the photos or too much coffee from my end. Once again, it is a great looking piece of art as it is.
Robert, that one reason that i did not cut it off yet. i might try and flow that out more. its thin in that area as the feature ring was only 3/4" thick to start with. but I might have enough material to make it work. refinishing is the easy part. after all that time and effort i would like it to be correct.
And yes criticism is what I'm after. you cant learn from mistakes if you dont know what your mistakes are.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-21-2009, 4:10 PM
Dave, great job on the construction - the Indian blanket design came out particularly nice. The top rim appears just a bit thick/heavy. Thanks for the plug on my book and DVDs.

For those that don't recognize this vessel, I made one quite similar as part of the production of my Volume Two DVD (it's on the DVD cover). The DVD contains separate lessons on some of the various feature ring components. It never occurred to me that anyone would want to do the same vessel with the same combination of elements.

Dave, I have no problem at all with you more or less duplicating the design - I encourage it. But I hope that now that you have the techniques well in-hand, you'll use those techniques and take your segmenting to the next level where you enjoy the experience of creating your own work from scratch. I’ve been doing this stuff long enough now, that I get little pleasure for the “making”; it’s the “designing” and solving the puzzle of “how to construct” that I enjoy the most.

Dewey Torres
03-21-2009, 6:09 PM
Wonderful work. Please be careful when you go back to the lathe with it:eek:

If it were me I might just cut the foot, finish it and call it a day. Also, if this is going to be your standard size you are going to need a bigger photo tent:).

Jim Kountz
03-22-2009, 1:10 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!! What a wonderful job with this!!

Dean Thomas
03-22-2009, 1:16 AM
Good stuff, sir. Especially enjoyed the suns and rays.

David Walser
03-22-2009, 1:53 AM
Dave, ... Thanks for the plug on my book and DVDs.

For those that don't recognize this vessel, I made one quite similar as part of the production of my Volume Two DVD (it's on the DVD cover). The DVD contains separate lessons on some of the various feature ring components. It never occurred to me that anyone would want to do the same vessel with the same combination of elements.

...Malcolm,

Dave may have sold another set of DVDs for you. I may have to add them to my collection.

Dave Bureau
03-22-2009, 7:49 AM
Malcolm,

Dave may have sold another set of DVDs for you. I may have to add them to my collection.
Dave, don't hesitate to get both videos. they are great, and money well spent.

Bruce Smith
03-22-2009, 8:29 AM
Dave that is a beauty. I haven't gotten brave enough to try segmented stuff yet, not sure if I have the patience. When are you going to start giving lessons? I shall be waiting to see #4.

Tim Boger
03-22-2009, 8:34 AM
First, I would like to thank Malcolm Tibbetts for his book and videos on the subject of segmented turning. Using his lessons and design I was able to make this vessel. It is 12" wide x 20" tall. I did not cut off the waste block yet, Total pieces for this project is 1411. The wood used is Bubinga, Wenge, Amarillo, Purple Heart, Zebrawood, Maple, and Tulipwood. I paid more attention to alignment and centering on this project than on the last couple. it took me about a month to complete.

Absolutely remarkable, you have every right to be very, very proud of this piece. The amount of time, thought and planning that goes into a vessel such as this is not easily understood.

You sir have raised the bar where all segmented turners will be challenged by. Superb job!

Tim

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2009, 1:02 PM
Dave - very impressive work! Beautiful designs, woods and finish! You should be proud of this one! Very nice work!

Jarrod McGehee
03-22-2009, 3:19 PM
Hey Dave that's soooooooo nice. I really like it. I bet that zebrawood smelled like a whole heard of zebras :eek:

Ken Glass
03-22-2009, 8:02 PM
Holy Cow, Dave! That is a huge Segmented vessel. I can't imagine the hours you spent on it. I really like the intricate feature rings. I have only done two segmented pieces, but that makes me want to try a big one anyway. Very well done with fit, finish and design.

Dave Bureau
03-22-2009, 8:17 PM
thanks everyone for all the compliments. for those that have not tried it, it is time consuming but not difficult. I would recommend to try one. A small one to start. you will mess up but learn tricks as you go. As far as the design goes. Malcolm gets all the credit for this one. thanks again.

Steve Mawson
03-22-2009, 9:22 PM
This is really nice. I would like to start with something about 1/8th this size. The design is really attractive. I to have Malcom's book but have not had the chance to make anything yet. Fun just to read and dream.

Mike Golka
03-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Only your third? incredible! very well done.

Tim Vice
03-23-2009, 9:25 AM
Where can we find the book and dvd's. I would love to try something like this.

Awsome.

Dave Bureau
03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Where can we find the book and dvd's. I would love to try something like this.

Awsome.

Thank You.
You can order directly from Malcolm Tibbetts. His web site is www.Tahoeturner.com (http://www.Tahoeturner.com)